L.A. Galaxy Edson Buddle

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by L.A. SOCCER NATION, Apr 2, 2010.

1. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I keep hearing the name Buddle appear in more article in regards to getting called-up by Bob Bradley. He has looked solid in the past two Galaxy games, has three goals and this Donovan/Buddle duo seems to be working for the Galaxy, could it work for the USMNT? Thoughts??

2. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    It might be too late, but one never knows. Landon & Bruce certainly have Bob Bradley's ear.

3. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    At this point... why not?

Buddle just reminds one of a not as quick, but stronger, more technical EJ.

Both have suffered from complete doubts about their mentality in playing the game... while their tools are above average.

As you say LD and Arena can both provide Bob whatever scoop he wants.

Who would have thought Gomez and Buddle would be the (early) form strikers coming in to WC 2010? In our history we don't have a very good history of taking in form attacking players to the WC, but I think that's mostly due to the perceived (rightly or wrongly) weaknesses of short term MLS performance.

Count me in on the "willing to see Buddle play in a friendly" group- but we're almost out of time.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shame that we couldnt have had Buddle and Gomez given run outs 6 months earlier, i think they missed their shot.

5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six months ago Buddle was at the end of an MLS season where he didn't score that much. He has had plenty of injuries throughout his career, including last season, and is streaky as hell even when healthy.

6. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure why Buddle has not had a chance with the MNT, although I do think he has been capped. I know some of you will remember this and either confirm or correct me. I have been saying, literally, for years, that he should have a chance. Now, and even last year, he seems to be in good form. Since the injuries (and last night's Ching injury), we are woefully low on strikers. Rather than bring in some of the known, not particularly good, strikers that we may end up being saddled with, why not be bold and bring in someone like Buddle.

I would like to see Bradley take a chance. As has been noted, Buddle and Donovan play together and that is good. This was the argument used for Ching...that he and Donovan had played together at San Jose. I don't see it as a big stretch to take a chance on Buddle in the next two friendlies. You can always have Findley, Cunningham, Casey, hopefully Ching, etc., waiting in the wings if Buddle does not perform well for the national team.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The chances of Bob Bradley watching that game last night and NOT going "hmmmmmmmmmmmm" have to be slim to none.

You compare him to Robbie Findley, and I don't see how anyone takes Findley over him.

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Agreed. Findley has a bit more speed. But Buddle has so much more to his game. It ain't even close. The question with Buddle is whether he has matured to the point where he can give his all for the team.

9. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing to add on Buddle's ability, but I would like to say, he earned points in my book for getting in Sacha's face after Sacha body checked him last night.

10. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Yeah, that was weird. Edson was smiling, so I didn't know if he was jokin' w/ Sasha or not. :eek: Maybe Edson a bit mental.

11. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think he deserves a look considering Ching is injured again. He's in form right now and scoring goals.

12. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked to me like one of those Denzel Washington smiles in Training Day, where he's smiling because you just made your last mistake.

13. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it's almost that time of year again - Edson Buddle Annual Hat Trick Day is nearly here!

14. bad565

bad565 Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B Bradley should have had another mls/mex USMNT camp or at least game. Like Mexico did so he could call up Gomez Buddle Castillo Torres etc..... Oh well I just think its a little to late for Buddle. Not his fault. I think they would call Gomez over him at this point.

15. Jr Galaxy

Jr Galaxy New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Covina,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HE will score 15 goals this season!

16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle is from my hometown, so I have always watched his career closely. To my eyes, he looks the fittest I have ever seen him. (There were years he looked positively puffy.) I liked his swagger early in his career, and I think he was very close to really breaking through with the Nats in the past until injuries and personal problems derailed him.

Watching him these last two games, I feel like he has finally reached the level he is capable of. If Ching is hurt and unavailable, then I think Buddle should be a slam dunk for the role of a strong, hold up forward. He is far more athletic than COnor Casey, smarter than EJ, what's not to like?

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The rule w/ strikers is that if one gets iron hot in the months leading up to the Cup, ya gotta call him in.

Nothing is more valuable than a striker is just f'ing scoring some god**** f****ing goals.

Pardon my French. ;)

Speaking of which: Ribbery went on a tear in France in '06, got his first cap a few months b4 the Cup and never looked back.

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was flabbergasted Buddle didn't get some chances a couple years ago. We've seen what everyone else can do. Buddle and Gomez have to be at the top of the list when looking at who will get called in if Ching is injured still.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he was drinking a lot and he was hurt a lot. Alcohol rehab kind of interfered with his chances for a USMNT career.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The alcohol problem was before his time at LA though wasn't it?

I think arkjayback was referring to Buddle's 2008 season with LA where he scored 15 goals but didn't get a cap with the national team. I don't recall whether there was an injury that prevented him from attending the January camp in '09.

edit: ah yes, it appears he got injured right before that January camp. Really unfortunate there.

21. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    He should be firmly on Bob's radar. Bob's "good person" standard has probably hurt him, but the US striker situation is such that Buddle must be in the conversation. Many of us have been saying this for 18 months.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    is there even an iota of evidence for such a silly claim?

23. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, who else has been left off the team that otherwise deserved to be on due to a 'good person' clause?

Beasley has had similar problems and Bob hasn't hesitated to use him when in form.

24. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Bob was watching from the stands boys and as my eleven year-old son said last night," I wanted to to see Robob's face the instant Buddle scored the first goal."

I was within twenty feet of the man last night and I can tell you that he seemed quite intent to see the beginning of the match last night.

25. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or when out of form for that matter :D