Kylian Mbappe, Welcome to Arsenal! - Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Feb 4, 2024.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    how do you feel about Archie Gray at Leeds?

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very versatile. Played as a right back for Leeds in a bunch of matches because of injuries to others. But my Leeds buddy says he's best in the MF. Still really young. He (my friend) also thinks (acknowledges it's his speculation) that Gray is more likely to stay than say, Summerville, because of his age.

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romano claiming on CaughtOffside that Arsenal are linked to Gray

4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Should have gone for Wharton in January if they liked him then, don't see him moving again this summer.

Crystal Palace could be next season's Aston Villa with a full season from Glasner if they were able to hold on to Eze, Olise, Guehi, etc along with Wharton. Too bad they won't.

Gray seems like an Arteta guy, positional intelligent like Rice and White at such a young age.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m with you on this. And I have a really hard time thinking Eduteta would wanna keep him, given his injury record with us. Regardless of how good he can be when he is actually healthy and match fit.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ted admits that he’s been wrong before (most notably about Luis Suarez).

But he’s been right about Partey.

Tonerl and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    As a right back, where he spent most of his time this season? Or as a midfielder who can play through the center of the park?

I’ve only seen him play once, in the Southampton/Leeds promotion playoff game and he didn’t grab my attention. At present I’m not sure I see the fit. With White, Tomiyasu, and Timber all credible right backs, I think Gray gets lost in the shuffle as a right back. As a defender who can play in the center of the park, Arsenal have lots of those kinds of players too. White played a few games as a defensive mid at Leeds, Zinchenko is a midfielder playing at left back, Kiwior spent an entire season as a midfielder before he was converted to a central defender. Gray would probably have to be one for the future.

If Arsenal want a multi-positional player who can fill in a right back and potentially spell Saka at times I think Jeremie Frimpong, who spent the season at wingback and has a very reasonable release clause, would be a better option.

8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    If they sign Gray, I think it means Rice is the starting 6 and they sign a more experienced option at left 8. Gray shares backup 6 duty with Jorginho. Gray plays in cups and lower leverage situations. Jorginho plays in bigger matches, at times alongside Rice. Gray takes over when Jorginho leaves in 2025.

chjoak repped this.
  9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    These are the ones for me, theres nothing to suggest he won't ping a calf getting out of the shower and miss another 25 games for us next season.

Its funny because someone on reddit suggested that people want Partey gone for non football reasons but hard to judge him on his football when he is injured so often.

City and Liverpool have won the league recently because their best players are reliable and available. Partey is reliably unavailable.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who could we have bought as a single pivot that would elevate us like Partey did?

we have come 2nd 2 seasons in a row after being shit for a long time and he was a major part in our push last year and was decent when he came back this year

he needs to move now but he has not been bad value

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    not seen much, Wharton is a guy I have seen a bit of and I rate him

gray is supossed to be highly regarded though

Silva 5 repped this.
  12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1037 chjoak, May 30, 2024
    Last edited: May 30, 2024
    Le'Equipe is claiming that Arsenal, Milan, Atletico Madrid & PSG have been in contact with Youssouf Fofana's entourage about a possible summer move.

Also seeing a claim that Fofana was supposedly our backup plan last summer had we not been able to snag Rice.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1038 chjoak, May 30, 2024
    Zirkzee info.... supposedly has a 50m euro release clause but his agent (Kia Joorabchian) is looking for 10-15m euro in agent fees. Supposedly Milan, Juventus, ManU & Arsenal are interested but there is some question whether Milan and possibly Juventus can afford (or are otherwise willing to pay) the extra agent fees.

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1039 chjoak, May 30, 2024
    Milan based Italian media is claiming that AC Milan are coming for Kiwior again. They beleive we will sell for 20-22m euro.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're truly going after Hato, this would make sense.

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal paid €19.5m, TransferMarkt values him at €30m, I think they should hold out for €30m. If Milan wanted him for a bargain price they should have come for him 18 months ago.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we go for Hato AND keep OZ, I agree. Right now I am thinking of Hato as a OZ replacement but maybe he is actually a Kiwior replacement.

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. should be 30m minimum.

19. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That fee can't be right - we bought Kiwior for 21M GBP, so at current conversion rates (24.6M Euro), we'd be selling at a loss. You could argue his value may not have improved, but I don't think it diminished as he proved versatility at LB.

I get that the Italians always plead poverty when negotiating for players, but that fee isn't reasonable.

Edit - so this was already covered above when I was typing.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    TransferMarkt lists the fee Arsenal paid as €19.5m. They also listed his market value at the time at €8m and subsequently raised it to €30m, so they think his value has improved significantly during his time at Arsenal. He has been a valuable squad member for Arsenal. When Saliba was injured last season and Holding was straggling to replace him, Kiwior came in for Holding and helped stabilize the defense and this season Kiwior did a credible job at left back in the absence of Tomiyasu and the drop in Zinchenko’s defensive form. He is worth every penny of his €30m TransferMarkt value.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Kwior goes who is backup cb? We need another, I like him as cover

I would sell zinchenko

22. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were 3.5M in add-ons for Kiwior, which I just assumed were triggered and used in my numbers. That likely explains the variances in numbers, along with slight variances in GBP-Euro conversion rates.

I'm much more comfortable with 30M GBP (35M Euros) as a sale price, but agree we need to sort out of coverage as Kiwior has been a reliable back-up with minimal drop-off from our starters.

23. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal is likely much more focused on getting rid of the players that aren't a part of Arteta's vision for next year than worrying about AC Milan's undervalued interest in players that may still figure into Arteta's vision.

thebigman, Super Llama and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ArsenalJake and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  25. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Emissary of the Prophets Cometh!