Kylian Mbappe, Welcome to Arsenal! - Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

who cares Madrid will just invest some new bookkeeping that lets them do whatever they want, or the freaking government will bail them out again.

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak to Mikel's mindset but I 100% agree with your logic. Given his success at the international level and the passing/movement he brings when we are in possession, I don't see why he hasn't been tried there yet.

Agree that Timber should be given a shot. The question for me is whether we see Kiwior continuing his contributions at LB or if we need more depth there.

Interesting idea. Biggest drawback is the fact that he would be another right-footed FB. However, his versatility and cost (rumored 40m-ish euro release clause this summer) makes him intriguing.

As mentioned above, we could also stick with Kiwior in a LCB/LB hybrid role. If we opted for that option, another FB would be less of a need and perhaps we should be looking at a young RCB to understudy Saliba?

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW..... The Guardian is claiming that we are eyeing up moves for Isak & Olise this summer.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in my scenario, do you think he becomes a 65M backup? Or do you think we're not buyin a new striker, partly because we have to recoup our 65M for Kai?

From what I've seen of him so far, that 2nd option leaves me more than a little pessimistic.

thebigman repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    That would put the squeeze on Havertz. Isak takes the striker spot and Olise would be very good as one of the 8s, while also providing cover for Saka.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    selling out to private equity is what the cool kids do these days

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like both of them, but they both have considerable injury baggage, no? At least Isak does, plus some consistency issues... but who doesn't? :p

8. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

"private" aka scams

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rice is supposed to be the 6. It’s what the club paid 105 million for.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Teta may need to change the system, imo

thebigman repped this.
  11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Olise would be phenomenal as a RW/R8 options. Would absolutely spell the end of Vieira and would squeeze Havertz a bit. Added bonus that he is HG.

Isak's number look much better this year than last. Assist numbers could be better but it is hard to complain when he has 17g in 24app. Given his cost and Arteta liking him as an option before he left Spain, he would 100% squeeze Havertz.

Olise has had 2 long layoffs with hamstring injuries this year. Prior to that he has been very healthy. And his numbers this season when he has played have been terrific.

Isak had a long stretch out last season but has only missed 6 games in total this year. In Spain he was pretty healthy but was a bit inconsistent with his finishing at times. Appears to have solved that issue.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additional notes on Isak & Olise.....

Newcastle wants Ramsdale
    Palace wants Eddie

Might we be able to work something out?

maskito and NorthBank repped this.
  13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Isak is going to be more expensive than Gyokeres.

I just don't see us doing business at the high end of the striker market given that we still need to sign 2 other starters and a bunch of backup players.

14. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if he wins the golden boot

15. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Because he's 27 years old with 2 years left on his contract and now is the time to either extend or sell. According to transfermarkt, he's missed 17 games over 7 stints since joining Arsenal, 5 of those calf related. Do you think he should get a new 4 year contract?

Arteta bought Zinchenko to play LB, that's the only place he has played for Arsenal. Plan A should be to sell so Arteta can buy someone he wants as a midfielder.

(And I don't think he's good enough as a midfielder, but I realize that is subjective. Don't care at all what he does internationally)

DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly probs true

17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Been a fan of both of them for a while so I'm all for it.

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isak cost Newcastle more than Gyokeres's current release clause so I 1000% agree.

I agree with this stance from my perspective. I would put the most cash on a DM/CM and then split the rest between ST, W & depth (CM and/or LB/CB). Based on some of Arteta's responses in the post Bayern pressers and some of the news from the last several months about our ST plans, I wonder if the club follows that idea or if the spend big on a 9 and doubles down on Havertz at 8?

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Olise is not an 8

eze would be better in that regard

DaPrince84 repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In the end football is all about the new dumb money IMO

Insiders like the execs, agents, players and other assorted sponges will sell out any and everything because it keeps the money flowing to themselves.

Obviously some clubs are not run that way, but when you've started selling off parts of your club, or the league, or even your whole club (see genocide FC) to hedge funds then good night and good luck ....

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    As an inverted left back, his primary job is not as a left back. When in possession he has for all intents and purposes been a midfielder for Arsenal. If formally moved there, would his defense be a downgrade from Jorginho? I’m not sure, but he would no longer be making difficult defensive transition runs to get back and try to defend as a left back.

thebigman and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IMO he is an upgrade on Ninny for that position.

Like you say, he already plays there to a high level when we are in possession, and is likely good enough to be the 3rd choice cover, plus cover for left back. And he is our only progressive passer from deep. Personally I doubt he is sold with Timber only just coming back.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I disagree with this. Zinny makes sense as an inverted left back because he defends passably well as a left back and increases numbers in midfield. Adding another player in midfield without sacrificing cover is the point.

Moving Zinchenko to midfield (where he's worse than the players we have there) negates his value.

Shen-O, DaPrince84 and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Shen-O and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Elneny doesn't play. He has 3 league appearances this year, coming on when Arsenal was up 6-0, 5-0 and 4-1. Replace Elneny with Charlie Patino and you'll be fine.