Kyle Duncan at NY Red Bulls (olf KV Oostende)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Duncan is a 97 defender with NYRB. He was called up to the first U-20 camp of the current cycle in Serbia. He has been named to DA regional Best XI teams. He was committed to Monmouth, but didn't show up on the roster. This link states that he had, in the past, had rumors of a PSG trial lined up. That trial was supposed to be this winter, so perhaps it never happened, but it did foreshadow a move to France.

It's unclear what his passport situation is. France recognizes both EU types and Cotonou countries as "domestic".

Duncan also played one game for NYRB II in the USL this season, as an amateur.

Gacm32, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  2. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Its not a question. He's there.

Gacm32 repped this.
  3. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    At 18, this isn't a bad move.
    Pro in France 2nd division vs amateur at Monmouth.... I'll take France

Score 1 for NYRB academy and for the young man and his family

Gacm32 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pretty good move. I wish more of our prospects would make moves like this to a decent French second division team instead of going the college soccer route, although I know there are many things in the way of that happening for other players.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there's no question for me that this gig is better than Monmouth.

An interesting question is whether NYRB made an attempt to sign him.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Could be that they are choosing Olosunde over Duncan, similar to how LAG decided for Lopez over Romero.

7. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Where is Romero btw? Did he go abroad?

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he's full-time with the Mexico U-17's right now. He's not listed with LAG, so maybe he will go abroad after the tournament.

bigt8917 repped this.
  9. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Ok. So 'unattached' I'm guessing.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I'm also guessing that NYRB will not receive any training compensation for Duncan? We know that MLS likes to boss around non-MLS clubs in this situation, but what about one of its own?

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They haven't asked for compensation in the past, because it would open the floodgates for the non-MLS youth clubs.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read on MetroFanatic boards from a poster who usually knows what he's talking about re: RB academy players that Duncan is "ALLEGEDLY" George Weah's nephew. That might explain his France connections and ability to get some sort of domestic player exemption in France.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just googled this and there's a brief French-language blurb about this that came out yesterday.

No word on whether or not the blurb's source was a poster on the MetroFanatic boards. :)

Gorky repped this.
  14. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Correction: that is their stated position but they have selectively sought compensation when they felt like it.

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link? I'm curious to know more.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duncan was an unused sub for Valenciennes B in the CFA2 (5th tier) on March 19, his first involvement at that level.

A number of other 97s are already playing in the CFA2 and one has even made his first team debut, so hopefully Duncan moves up soon.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'd call being an "unused sub" something more like "involvement-ish."

;)

But good news -- was wondering about this one, which had gone quiet.

fightingswans repped this.
  19. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    [QUOTE="more like "involvement-ish."[/QUOTE]

His participation in the pregame kick-around directly led to advances in his team's pitch awareness and turf familiarity.

TimB4Last and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  20. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    765968642941054976 is not a valid tweet id

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    He is being listed as a member of the first team, albeit without an assigned number on the clubs website. Listed as a RB (Arrière droit).

Seems like a big jump from being an "unused sub" with their reserves only four months ago. Best of luck to this kid and I look forward to seeing updates once he debuts.

http://www.va-fc.com/fr/effectif/pro/

[​IMG]

22. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Hell of a start man. That's updates on three or four hard to find players. Well done.

ChuckMe92, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Thanks brother! Had a good stretch of time today to kill, fortunately. Figured I'd concentrate on players in countries where I half-ass speak the lingo.;)

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a strange case, since he's been with Valenciennes for a year and thus far has only three starts for the reserves in the fifth division to his name. Was he injured last year? Or playing for some sort of U19 team instead of the reserves?

Valenciennes II were relegated from the 5th to the 6th tier last season and in France that means the reserves have slipped into the "fog of war" - relegated to a level where playing time data becomes difficult to track. If he's not playing with the first team (hasn't made the 18 for three league matches or the Coupe de la Ligue), it may be hard to see how he's doing.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back after an injury:

Faruk Hadžibegić's coach of Valenciennes, an update on the injured and announced that Damien Perquis and Kyle Duncan had resumed training.

Wednesday afternoon, Faruk Hadžibegić an update on the wounded at the Valenciennes site. Damien Perquis and Kyle Duncan resumed normally with the group. The first suffered a bruised ankle after the match against Brest while the latter were concerns in the thigh.

(in French): http://sports.orange.fr/football/li...quis-et-duncan-ont-repris-CNT000000sTZeb.html

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.