KWS Traded

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by shooter6065, Jun 27, 2012.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Kwame Watson-Siriboe was dealt to RSL for a 2014 Fourth Round pick.

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/06/fire-trade-kwame-watson-siriboe-real-salt-lake

Don't really get this move since it seems like teams used to PASS on the fourth round pick. The times I saw him in games he was physical and raw but had potential. Was he really that poor that we dumped him for a fourth rounder?

CJ Brown knows him and probably recommended him. Obviously, the Fire don't rate him at all as Anibaba and Berry long since passed him by but I don't get it for the Fire. Are we not running a little short on CB's with all the injuries?

Strange, useless move unless something else is in the works.

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Exactly what I thought in the speculation thread...
    A lot of outgoing movements...Hope that something big is on the way in. If I had to guess, this is just for the $50,000 of salary space. Though getting rid of Bone's $161,000 might have been a better move

3. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah probably a salary move and the fact he never plays they probably just figured they could free up some salary space. Again, use that extra money to keep Grazzini.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    KWS was making $50K? If that is the case, its a lousy move. A 4th rounder rarely produces anyone who makes a roster. Unless you are going to leave roster spots completely open, then you will have to sign someone for his spot and at most you would save 10-15K right? Is it worth giving up depth for THAT?

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    What extra money? Are you proposing that we apply that 50 to Grazzini and then go forward with an empty roster spot? We have a lot higher priced people who never get in games either. Cut one of them. I would be shocked if we do keep grazzini, but that shouldn't be a factor in this move.

6. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fourth round is about as close as you can get to a giveaway.I guess they are opening up roster spots.

7. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    There is the possibility of leaving 1-2 spots open and that ~$100K in salary could be used somewhere on one or more of the other 26 spots. If we could keep Pappa or Grazzini by using Kwame's $50K, I'd be in favor since I don't think he was ever going to play.

8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was Kwame part of the 1-20 or 21-30 section of the roster?

Juan David Duque appears to be signed by Chicago on the Player Union salary sheet, but doesnt appear to be on Chicago's Player page. I remember a rumor behind this player and also a rumor about the Timbers.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Forget about Pappa and Grazzini. Pappa's comments make it clear that he is ready to leave skid marks. I'm fine with that. He is at that age where if he wants a shot at Europe, now is the time. Very similar to Rolfe a couple of years ago. I would be shocked if he stayed for a little salary bump. Unless I am completely reading the tea leaves wrong, Grazzini is hasta la byebye as well.

As we clear a little roster space and salary at this time of the year every year, I think it is natural to get a bit queezy about depth. But clearly, we have to wait to see what is coming back this direction.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Isn't he the nazi, KKK guy from Louisiana that is always trying to run as a mainstream guy? ;):D

11. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009

Pappa is gone. Only way he stays is for DP money. However, he already let the team know that he's leaving and rejected their best offer.

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would have liked something better than a fourth round draft pick for him, but those are the breaks.

What did we receive?
    1) $50,000.00 (approx.) in additional cap space.
    2) An open roster spot.
    3) A draft pick, that by itself is mostly useless, but could be used as a "make weight" in a transaction in the future.
    4) We did not leave him unemployed (which I think is a good thing).

What did we give up?
    1) A 2010 2nd round draft pick, who the Fire have paid about $150,000 in three years and received little in return.
    2) A player who had played in 10 games over the past three seasons, and only three games since 2010. He only made 10 appearances for Tampa Bay during his season long loan period last year.
    3) A player who was cover for Berry, who is cover for Anibaba, who is third choice central defender behind Arne and Gibbs (when healthy).

What did we give up? Not very much, but better than just cutting him outright.

I wish KWS well in his future endeavors and I hope that CJ Brown has a use for him.

As for trading Bone and his $161,000 salary instead, as was suggested earlier in the thread, I doubt anyone would be upset if that happened. However, I think it will be difficult to find a team that would take Corben Bone and his $161,000 salary off of our hands.

13. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    NOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOoooooo!

Wait, I don't even care.