KSE to assess Rapids during the offseason

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Malaga CF fan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Tiny Tim and the Grinch

Without a commentary about Tim's coaching or soccer philosophy, I wonder if anyone has ever noticed as I have his lack of smile. Every
    pre-game when they announce the lineup and coaches, never once have I seen him smiling. The same is true of games on TV. Part of inspiration on the part of a coach is emotion, excitement, anger, elation. When your coach shows those kinds of feelings and shares them with you as a player, it is a lot easier to function as a team. If a coach is dispassionate, it sometimes comes across as human chess, and I don't think that is particularly inspiring to players. Add to that the amazing ups and downs of player substitution, from early in the season when no one was sure when and where they would play, to the middle of the season where if you were a sub, you might as well bring a good book, I have never ever felt the "Win One For The Gipper" mentality. You can't live or die with that, but the players need to believe in the coach, and want to go to war for him. I am not sure this was the case with the Rapids. Whatever the case, the faithful fans are definitely ready for a change!! I hope the next pre-season brings some new vitality to a team with a lot of good young talent, and a smattering of excellent veterans. I don't think I could take another beginning and finish like this season just past.

2. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    I couldn't have said it better... All you wrote is so true! Thanks for doing the typing, I'm sure there are others in total agreement with your observations.

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Not Ringing Endorsements

Did Tim Hankinson originally cut Nat Borchers? The story goes something like this: during preseason, Hankinson made the decision to send Nat back to Pueblo. After hearing wind of this, a former coach of Borchers' spoke and pleaded with the Wank to keep Borchers on the team, at the very least as a developmental player.

Did Tim Hankinson sell snake oil to Gilles Grimandi? According to a source close to both the team and Grimandi, Hankinson "misrepresented" a number of aspects regarding the Rapids and MLS when engaged in early discussions with the Frenchman. Supposedly Grimandi was quite shocked when he arrived at the first day of training and it wasn't long before he made his feelings known to the coach; this resulted in Hankinson banning Grimandi from the training facility. Gilles stayed committed to a rigorous fitness regimen by paying out of his own pocket to work with a personal trainer, and also paid his own way for an apartment in Denver after the team cut off his living stipend.

For those who haven't read Greenie on Rapidsfan.com, these two entries certainly don't endear one to Tim. It sounds like the team did well in spite of Tim. Let's hope for a change.

4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Looks to me that Hanki is gone reading between the lines of this article. Counce likes the players and they are re-evaluating? Pretty clear to me.
    I don't think Counce is evaluating himself.

"Garlick and defenders Robin Fraser and Wes Hart are among Colorado's potential free agents." -- Denver post 14, Nov 2003.

I would be open to loosing those 3. Garlick would be sorely missed but Cannon can handle the nets. He made a mistake in the first playoff game but that wasn't his fault, (he needed some more regular season warmups) Hanki is to blame.

Fraser is a "has been" and Wes Hart isn't anything exceptional.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Waldo know something?

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/90min1114wynalda.html

This is from Wynalda's weekly rant on MLSnet. Interesting take on the playoffs, but he pretty much tosses the entire load of blame for the losses at Hanki's feet. Then read the last sentence there (I added the bold). Does he know something or is he just blowing smoke?

By the way, anyone here named Logan? Waldo kind of took you to task there on the manager/coach question. "Congratulations, you know nothing about professional soccer. To be quite frank sir, your attitude is one of the problems with American soccer. " Ouch. If I didn't know better, I would think that in Waldo's opinion, some guy named Logan (not the old MLS commish) from Colorado is at fault for more than just asking a question, he's responsible for a major problem with American soccer. ;)

6. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily agree with Wynalda, but I like his directness.

It seems to me that Wynalda has always battled for letting the players play and be themselves. I get the sense that he's still fighting the ghosts of old coaches telling him to pressure the ball more.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't listen to Wynalda too much, I prefer Veronica and anything she had to say about anything :D

So, has the offseason started for the Rapids yet? Come on KSE let's get on with it. Obviously you kids had to do your homework before purchasing the club and know what changes you thought would be best.......so let's freaking GO NOW!!!!!

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If KSE wants to hold true to their word and have a SSS in place for the 2005 season they are going to have to announce a deal during this offseason. Otherwise, no stadium until 2006.

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    They just canned the front-office. Maybe they can can the coach next!!!