KSE to assess Rapids during the offseason

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Malaga CF fan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article from the Post. http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~1758262,00.html

From the sound of it, could be a slow process before we know anything regarding Hanki, Counce and others. Sounds like KSE is going to take their time.

Got news for you, don't take too long. The Hanki decision is easy!!!

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Re Hanki;

Ya, I read this in the paper this morning. Hanki sounded awfully defensive, like a guy expecting the bad news. I also though Garlick said re the KC playoffs, "I guess the losing wasn't my fault."

3. treboruno

treboruno New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Never enough...

This is the same foolishness that gets spewed every season. Anyone still posting on the "Get Rid of Mooch" thread? The fact is, you couldn't be happier to have Hanki in the middle of the season and now you hindsight that we never should have had him. Do teams get better by changing coaches every three and a half months?

4. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Re: Never enough...

If there were still a thread, I'd still be posting on it.

I liked mooch as a coach as much as I like hanki, I didn't/don't.

I'm not into changing for the sake of changing, but I am in favor of changes that could remove the Rapids from mediocrity.

5. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Actually you are very wrong. I was pretty much the only one that never thought Hanki should be canned ... even during the streak I was defending him alone.

I have since changed my mind ... I too think he should go ... but trust me ... people wanted him gone all season long newbie.

6. treboruno

treboruno New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Agreed

I will be the first to say that Hankinson has made some dumb moves, but he also led the Rapids on a streak that rivals any coach we've had. I'm less critical of the choice to fire Hankinson and more critical of the people who whine at the beginning and end of every year. The fact is there are a bunch of armchair coaches who always know the best choice but only mention that they "knew all along" when the season is over.

If you've been whining all along then I applaud you. At least you are consistent.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Agreed

Unfortunately for us Rapids fans, the list of coaches we've had isn't all that auspicious either. It was a great streak, but that's all we have to show for this season, or the last, or the one before that....

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hold it, full stop. I never wanted to keep him at any point in the season, though I may have not have called for his job as often during the midseason streak. I know I'm not alone in this.

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Then you applaud everyone except me. I'm the only one that's changed my mind I think!

10. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I don't have any animosity towards Coach. I've dealt with his coaching style for three years, so I know what Coach is about."

Gee you can't read into that quote from CC can you?

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Time to give Daksims a call, KSE. He took Kickaround FC to the top.

12. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    How Soon!!!!!!

It sounds like they are going to wait until Bill Owens is president. Yikes!!!! My question is how soon do the Rapids start up again!!! Certainly, if they are going to make a change, it needs to be as soon as things start up again. You don't want to have a lame duck coach. How long do they have to make this change if they really mean to do it????? Actually, Kickaround FC finished second to the Home For Unwed Mothers!!!!

13. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

He has been here three YEARS. Hanki has not elevated play, the team this year had a win streak, but I think pretty much right out of the shoot with the 9 game losing streak at the beginning of the season had the fans were calling for his head, which did die down a bit during the mid season win streak but never really went away.

His playoff shenanigans with Garlick and CC pretty much have sealed his fate. This was Hanki's team. He has had 3 years to put it together. They creaked into the playoffs ad then couldn't win a game. You think a change may be in order?

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO

Given that the Rapids have only had three coaches and no titles, that's not a very bold statement.

And given that Mooch accomplished the very same streak -- not once, but twice -- then that's actually a very weak statement.

What good is a lossless streak, anyway, when it's bookended by a pair of winless streaks that also rival the worst that the Rapids, or most any other team in MLS, has ever had?

Finally, although you are a new poster perhaps you should do your research before you post. I don't recall more than two or three people giving praise or credit to Hankinson for the Rapids' little midseason streak. No players ever spoke in his favor, media critics were silent**, and only two fans on this board supported him.

** There was one media critic that did think Hankinson did a good job: MLSnet pundit Mark Connolly, who also bleated that Chicago would be in the toilet, Columbus would rise above all others, and managed to correctly predict less than a third of the results from this year's season.

15. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003

WRONG... I don't know where you came up with that observation. "Never Enough" ? I had More than ENOUGH all season long ,including the middle of the season Mr. Newbie.

16. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Agreed

Don't forget Wegerle!

17. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Lets not confuse cheering on the team during the streak (which did happen) with no longer wanting Hanki fired because of the streak (which didn't really happen that I could tell).

There was TONS of criticism of Hanki's coaching even during the streak. His inability to use subs properly, bunker ball to desperately hang on to ties, and other problems with the team (crappy passing, taking halves off/complacency, etc) have been repeatedly documented ad nauseum, even during the streak.

18. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    MY 2 CENTS

I have come to the conclusion that the sad part of the seasons end is not that we lost 6 of our last regular season matches and lost the opportunity to move on past KC but the manner in which we did so . Yeah there's alittle blame offensively and defensively but a good part lies with Hankinson. How can you get the most from your players when you as a coach have the inabilty to communicate with your players. In the Denver Post Hanki says he wanted to "spark" the team, and it not being a popularity contest as to who he plays... well that theory didn't work ... it didn't work all year. What's his definition of a spark anyway??? He'll never be a Frank Yallop or a Bill Parcell : A great motivator, one who appreciates the talent he has , earns the respect of his players, and "together" go to championships as a cohesive organization.

19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget Hanki, let's get Counce out of there ASAP.

I say we start a campaign of letters to KSE regarding the Rapids' management.

As well, I think the media director, Jurguen Mainka, should be commended and certainly kept in the club.

Counce has to go.

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More in today's Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~1765443,00.html

Interesting for a couple of quotes. For one, the article seems to imply that Counce is going nowhere.

Another quote of interest....
    There's a young side to the Rapids that looked pretty interesting..... I'm sorry, but where the hell were they during the regular season? Another nail in Hanki's coffin, IMO. If management is so high on these guy's talent, then why aren't they getting the chance to play (not that I don't like CC and Spencer, but why not send them in as subs every once in a while...)?

We never saw Borchers talent until injury forced him onto the field. Why hasn't Hanki or Counce or whoever learned from this lesson? We're not going to discover talent in practice. The guys need a chance to show it on the field. Blake played a total of 24 minutes this regular season. If the Rapids were so high on these guys, why didn't they get a chance to play? While Hanki was busy mailing in the last 6 games of the regular season, why didn't we see more from the benches? It couldn't have hurt, it's not like we won any games during that stretch (I can understand using the best 11 during the playoffs....).

21. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
  22. Madrileno

Madrileno New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Denver
    Keeping Pablo is a must however, he needs to work on his yellow cards.

It is time for Hanki to go! Hanki does not have the ability to motivate his players. Especially if there are very few of his players that respect his style.

Our losing streak is not all Hanki's fault however, much can be sent his way. He had no control over several questionable referee red cards, injuries, or the Grimando fiasco.

Does anybody know where Rene Miramontes is coaching at now? Miramontes always had respect from his players and I think he could coach well at this level.

Just my 2 cents.

23. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Alliance Soccer Club is pleased to announce a 5 year commitment with Rene Miramontes.
    Rene joined Alliance in July of 2001 as the Technical Director and has been working with coaches and players ever since. Rene is happy to commit to a five year agreement with the Club and is excited about the opportunity. ASC looks forward to the training, leadership and mentoring that Rene will offer. " http://www.alliancesoccer.com/about/news.html#coaches_recon

Just googled.

I have no inside knowledge Does Counce have a way of burning bridges with these guys when he lets them go?

24. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Ummm.....yeah. How about packing up a person's belongings and putting them in a box for a nice surprise when they get back from vacation?

I didn't see that go down, but I heard it from a pretty reliable source.

25. Madrileno

Madrileno New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Denver
    thanks for the info on miramontes! that't too bad for us that he is happy there. we could use somebody like him.