"Kroos'ed to la decimoquinta"- The Official Welcome Toni Kroos Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lyra, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The difference is that we have a lot of midfielders to replace Kroos if the wheels fall off. We didn't have that with Benzema.

I often agree with you but your hatred for Kroos is a lot. He's having a great season.

saadomar, Deep Pal and Galatico repped this.
  2. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    Kroos has been playing well this season, I’m just wary of extending him prematurely when we haven’t seen how he will do against the top clubs in the CL.

I would rather we move forward in our style of play, then rely on Kroos sitting deep dictating the slow style of play. I believe with the core of players we have we can be a much better team without him. But I’m in the minority here.

3. Galatico

Galatico Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 15, 2019
    #3078 Galatico, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    I had an agenda against Toni during my first go round here (not something I'm proud of), but man have I got egg on my face lol. He's made a complete fool of me and I hope he extends!

4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Tbf

toni has been the most unpredictable player. He has some seasons where he looks completely out of place and where a lot of fans are demanding we move on from him

and then boom world class season

it’s happened a few times

saadomar, tefftlon, Deep Pal and 2 others repped this.
  5. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    That’s my point. Rewarding recent past performance for a player like Kroos is likely not to be a good outcome, but what do I know….

6. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're absolutely right. He has had a couple of completely stinker seasons. I remember the third CL being a bad one.

Cost benefit says it would be worth it to keep that option. If he sucks then we move forward mid season. If not, we ball and win like we have been.

Deep Pal, natenate101 and Seoul Villan repped this.
  7. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    In theory yes, but he’s a massive salary and not exactly willing to sit on the bench

8. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Having retired 3 years ago from international play, Kroos is now returning to the German national team at 34 years old.

I’m happy with this. On the one hand, he’s 34 and more games may be detrimental. But on the other hand, it’s probably a sign he’s still motivated to continue and not retire

saadomar and Lyra repped this.
  9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Cons overweigh the pros in this case. Hope I'm wrong about a lot of things tied to this comeback.

Can't say history is kind to similar cases.

Bear Crotch and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  10. rrrrrafik

rrrrrafik Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 26, 2007
    Spain
    #3085 rrrrrafik, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Not a fan. I do think his resurgence with Madrid coincided with him retiring from the NT.

I do wish him the best though.

11. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    He deserves one last shot at another international title. He’s been stellar this season.

saadomar and Lyra repped this.
  12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm going to give you the factors that speak against that:

He abandoned the team when things go tough and said he couldn't handle the double duty anymore. Moreso in a situation when the team could've used his impact as a leader as well with the situation around the captains armband and whatnot. He got out of that nice and easy.

Now he slides back in when the tournament is at home and we're months away from it.

A player will most likely lose his spot for him to walk into it. Don't know how this gets received in the team.

My worry is if the team flops he's the perfect guy to turn into a scapegoat and put him on blast right before the end of his career.

The fairy tale ending is they win and he gets to enjoy that last hurray, but the opposite side does him no favors.

On surface level it feels very opportunistic. I don't like it.

Bear Crotch repped this.
  13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this description of events. He left because he was being scapegoated. He was pushed out and being described as a relic from which the team needed to move on from. You had the likes of Hoeness and Matthaus calling for him to be scrapped and for a new generation to come through. Straight from his wiki:

IMG_2188.jpeg

Three years removed and the national team has gone through multiple top managers without improvement. The young manager in Nagelsmann is calling him saying they need him. The new generation has not come through and they’ve realized they don’t have a profile like him still. He can’t be scapegoated now.

tefftlon and Lyra repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I live in the country and I know what the general opinion is. Kroos will never be appreciated in Germany the way others are. If this goes bad, his legacy as a German international is pretty much through.

You can quote the Wikipedia as much as you want. For me it's a bad idea.

Most experts on TV understand Kroos is a gifted player, but really don't see the point in bringing him back. The problems of the team aren't in midfield, they are elsewhere.

15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appeal to authority because of your location when you didn't bother to mention that he was being scapegoated 3 years ago by some of the loudest voices of the German national team program? Ok

You can believe it's a bad idea without writing an alternate description of past events.

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Brother, Matthäus just came out last week and said Kroos would help the team if he can play as a fullback because the team is stacked in midfield.

That's the reason why I say it's a bad idea. If he comes back and it turns out bad, his legacy in the national team Shirt is pretty much finished.

From a personal standpoint I think the timing of his return is opportunistic and self centered.

The only experts that speak for Kroos returning are guys that know him personally. The reception is mainly negative. The team was supposed to be moving forwards not backwards.

17. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Any chance he is pulling a Zidane and announces his full retirement after playing for his NT?

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    From a purely egoistic standpoint we'd want to wait until after the tournament for that extention, but I'm not expecting that: we will definitely not send him to the tournament without the security of a contract if he wants to keep on playing.

19. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    One can only hope.

Kroos was trash in the 2020 Euros, most of that team was. He’s riding a good run of form and selfishly “unretiring” to win the only major trophy he hasn’t won yet.

It’s a fools errand to extend him next season. Rewarding (recent) past performance (for a player his age) is not how to run a club.

my hope is we win Liga/CL and he retires, but I doubt he would anyway.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I disgree on most of that. My negative stance is completely related to the national team. He has a home for his football with the team in Madrid.

21. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    I know I’m in a minority opinion when it comes to Kroos. I’m basing my opinions on his last 2.5 seasons at RM. Our CL run was despite him playing in the crucial matches, last season he was exposed looked slow and hardly gave a toss for defense work rate. This season, looks sharper and better defensively.

I think the NT could be quite good this Euros, all signs were pointing to making a good run at the whole thing. We will see if Kroos has any positive or negative impact.

Him playing this summer and not resting like he has been for the last 3 years will have a negative impact, to the detriment of RM if he extends to next season. But yes, let’s extend him at the high wages and have him sit like Modric for most of next year and complain about playing time, that’s a good strategy.

22. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My only concern is the impact on his play level in Real Madrid.
    He ain't young anymore, so these games can have a toll on the body if he's constantly playing - and he's having a great year in Madrid.

23. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If you were in the same position you’d probably accept the call. If I was in that position and liked my teammates and manager I certainly would do it.

I wouldn’t care about “leaving a bad legacy” because I would only accept the call if I thought I was good enough to take that spot in the squad, and if I did I would just play my best and see what happens rather than worrying about what might go wrong beforehand.

Shay Z, petros93, saadomar and 2 others repped this.
  24. Beowulf112

Beowulf112 Member

Real Madrid
    Croatia
    Jun 3, 2018
    I hope Kroos extends...we need this german magician

Raul-7 and Galatico repped this.
  25. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    German engineering, the Real Madrid cyborg. The maestro, the conductor to our orchestra. Idc if he plays for Germany. I just want him to stay fit for the crucial parts of the La Liga and UCL run.