Kroenke deal to be announced at 3pm conference

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by greenie, Sep 23, 2003.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know, my all time dream is to buy the franchise from the Krafts and build a stadium for them, i just hope someone else who has the money can fulfill my dream.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That's pretty much my dream for the Earthquakes, although in reality the best I can expect is a reconstructed Spartan Stadium sometime in the near future. :(

-G

3. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    The Rapids are here to stay. Couldn't be better news!!

I always feared that if AEG had to trim the fat, it might be the raps. Life is good.

4. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Congrats! This is great news for the Rapids and MLS. Glad the big wigs are following through with their attracting new investors talk.

Can't wait to see how the SSS progresses.

5. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Does anyone in Colorado have a sense whether Mr. Kroenke has a person affinity for soccer a la Hunt and Anschutz or that this is more a business decision along the lines of Kraft's involvement? I noticed he owns a number of other Colorado sports teams, seems like this deal may be closer to the Kraft type of situation.

6. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    In my one experience with Foxboro, I found it was pretty hard to get to. I would bet that a SSS closer to downtown Boston would increase attendance quite a bit.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "In my one experience with Foxboro, I found it was pretty hard to get to. I would bet that a SSS closer to downtown Boston would increase attendance quite a bit..."

It would also increase the cost a good bit, it would also chaffe the local residents and politico's a good bit...

... we're stuck with the albatross that's Gillette Stadium for now.

The Magpie

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    1. It's an albatross with gorgeous feathers.

2. It looked great with 61k there for the last MLS Cup.

3. Possible new step for the league: Instead of downsizing the stadium for the fan base, increase the fan base to match the stadium.

I'd love to see one team in the league accomplish that. Then we'd know MLS is here to stay.

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Wish I could have done more yesterday afternoon and last night, and sorry for taking so long to get back to this. An emergency with my real work (well, the stuff that pays the bills) got in the way.

Longer editorial coming later, along with an article I've been asked to pen for one of the soccer media outlets.

Anyway, here's the full rundown as I posted to www.rapidsfan.com

A quick overview of what's official:

KSE: Kroenke Sports Enterprises
    AEG: Anschutz Entertainment Group
    HDC: Home Depot Center

TEAM OWNERSHIP (aka "Investor-Operator")
    • Price and terms of sale not disclosed
    • Transfer of ownership takes effect immediately
    • KSE commits to "a massive investment in youth soccer development"
    • KSE focused on maintaining the successful Rapids staff
    • Charlie Wright of KSE will directly oversee Rapids operations
    • AEG will assist KSE with team operations through next season
    • AEG admits recent focus was on "other properties" besides Rapids
    • KSE also becomes an investor in Soccer United Marketing
    • KSE loves AEG. AEG loves KSE. MLS now one big orgy of admiration

STADIUM PROJECT (aka "Suck on this, KC!")
    • To open by 2006, but possibly earlier
    • No details of location nor seating capacity announced
    • Both downtown and suburban locations to be considered
    • "Soccer-specific" but also available for concerts and other events
    • KSE has "only just begun" to consider locations and architects
    • KSE states best aspect of HDC is community connection
    • Complex will "likely" include fields for youth development
    • Non-soccer aspects of HDC will not be adopted (e.g. tennis, cycling)
    • KSE will work closely with AEG
    • Rapids will continue at Invesco for the foreseeable future

10. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Kroenke owns the CO. Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, the Colorado Mammath (Lacross?), plus he is an investor/part owner of the St. Louis Rams, Co. Crush (Arena Football) and the Grand Prix of Denver.

I have never heard that soccer is a die hard obsession of Kroenke, but of the teams most of us are familiar with (Avs and Nuggets), the Avs are a top of the class NHL team in both talent and development. The Nuggets have perpetually sucked, but appear to be on the upswing as well. The Pepsi center is a world class modern arena (he owns that as well). I've never been to his other facilities (all the ownership info is from today's Denver Post).

Buying the Rapids gives him two things: (A) an excuse to build a stadium (the SSS will double as an entertainment facility) to host outdoor conerts, and (B) an additional team to air as he tries to develop a local sports television network to air his and maybe other local sports teams.

Either way, I hope that with AEG "helping out" over the next year plus, that Kroenke will learn some things that seem to work with ticketing at the Rapids games (for example, good things like family friendly pricing packages, the flexible ticket exchange program, etc). Maybe he'll also learn that we need to keep the good beer stand open (the one that sells microbrews and hard lemonade ;-)

Thats what I see. I am sure others see different things at work here.

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that Kroenke didn't give much of a crap about hockey before he bought the Avalanche.

And for all the love that Anschutz may have for the sport, fact is that AEG treated the Rapids like the bastard child from a drunken one-nighter. Leiweke even openly admitted in the press conference yesterday that AEG's interests were focused in areas other than the Rapids.

One thing is consistent among Kroenke properties: they are given the resources and commitment to be presented as nothing less than top-shelf professional organizations. Compare the general marketing presence (not to mention website) of the Mammoth in their first year to that of the Rapids in their 7th year (or any year), the difference is clear.

Mmmmm, donuts.

12. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    We are on our way... What a great day for ALL soccer fans, and for soccer in general in this country. Congratulations to everyone affiliated with this transaction. I look forward to the day to go through the gates of the new stadium ,and in the month of Sept. watch my favorite team (The Colorado Rapids) play ball on a "PITCH" without football lines!!! Thanks to everyone who made this day become a reality ,especially Mr. Kroenke!

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    One thing not praised enough is that the Rapids will be a featured team on his new Sports station ... that in my opinion is GREAT news as well (if it happens).

Many people who are interested ... but don't go ... watch the Rapids away games ... and with such a half assed production it doesn't help draw people in. This very well could help the team as well in MANY ways ... the best in my personal opinion ... would be getting a good soccer broadcast of the Rapids on TV!

14. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it mean?

Does the sale to Kroenke Sports mean that Counce &/or Hankinson is likely to be replaced?

15. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    It's probably not being praised because KSE-TV is really just a big itch in KSE's pants right now. But as long as we're considering this...

1. The Rapids may be "featured" but will still play second fiddle to the Avalanche and Nuggets, and if KSE-TV picks up a contract for CU, CSU or even AFA college football games, them too. And don't be surprised if KSE made a bid for a portion of the Rockies schedule. Don't think it's not possible -- little ol' Boston University bought a cheap TV station that was broadcasting primarily religious programming, began showing it's own college sports teams along with reruns of 70s television (before Nick at Nite) -- two years later, they got a contract to show Red Sox games and suddenly the BU sports were not being broadcast as much. Ratings are ratings.

2. Don't expect the production value of road games to improve because of KSE. Thanks to our friend Single Entity, MLS has a contract with the same production company for every broadcast in the league (with the exception of HDTV broadcasts); that's why the only significant difference between regional broadcasts for MLS teams is the on-air talent. KSE might use it's resources to produce some better pre- or in-game graphics, but it's not likely to see the overall production value change.

3. If/when KSE-TV rolls around, the best benefits will be improved coverage for the Rapids on TV. Certainly one would expect games to have repeat broadcasts during the weekdays or late at night (as seen with Revs games on FSNE and Metro on MSG), but perhaps more home games would be covered.

4. Of course, the best hope for what KSE-TV would bring would be a weekly half-hour show devoted solely to the Rapids and/or a half-hour pre-game show. :)

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What does it mean?

Good question. Who knows what KSE did to the Aves and Nuggets management when they took over? I would think Counce would move onto another AEG job, but who knows.

17. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: What does it mean?

I'm not sure when KSE took over the Avs (during the move from Quebec or after) but Pierre LaCroix has been with them since they were the Nordiques. With that as a precedent, they seem to approach the team with an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. With Colorado's current run of good play, solid fan support, and the possibility of winning an MLS Cup this year, I doubt KSE is going to tinker with them too much.

The Nuggets on the other hand..... We all know that story.

18. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "The Nuggets on the other hand"

Nuggets?

Oh, yeah, the Nuggets. The ones with all the salary cap room. Tim Duncon, Jason Kidd, nah, They dont' need those guys, they got Earl Boykins. Some perspective, he's the size of Spencer.