Kristine Lilly Retires

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Lilly announces retirement from soccer

The Wilton native said on Wednesday morning that she was announcing her retirement from soccer, both at the international and club level.

"It's just time, that's all," said Lilly in a phone interview. "I'm OK with it."

Well congrats to Lil on such a great career!

She leaves the game as IMHO the greatest female player to ever play the game...

Good Luck Kristine!

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman and Lilly in the same off-season. Boston pro-soccer thanks you both.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was hoping she would make another World Cup.

I still have an autographed picture of her on my desk when she signed it for me back in the late 90's. She was dating Debbie Keller's brother, Steve at the time and was at a Fremd High School in Schaumburg, IL boy's soccer game where Steve is the Head Coach, signing autographs.

I like that not only was she a legend of the game, but had her own mind and didn't always bend where the wind blew.

I like that she remained a friend of Debbie Keller throughout her lawsuit against Anson Dorrance and also that she supported, Greg Ryan and Brianna Scurry during the Hope Solo WWC 2007 debacle.

Good luck to the real Iron Woman and Legend, Kristine Lilly.

4. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    There goes the last remaining piece of my childhood.

Growing up, I had a Lilly poster on my wall from the '96 Olympics. I feel lucky that I had the opportunity to watch her play live so many times with the Breakers.

The gears are already churning for a proper tribute at a Breakers game this spring... I would love it if we hosted a testimonial game like Chastain did.

5. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Will never forget the header off the line

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.kristinelilly13.com/journals/index.php?&id=194

I'm Retiring!
    January 5, 2011

Happy New Year! It’s that time of year when we get to start with a new clean slate and set our goals and wishes for the coming year. This New Year for me is just that. I have decided to retire from the game of soccer. It is time!

I want to first thank all you fans for the support you have given me, from cheering for me in the stands, watching and yelling at the TV, to the nice emails I have gotten from so many of you throughout the years. You all have truly made me feel special. Thank You!

7. madisonroad

madisonroad Member

Jun 20, 2009
  8. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USWNT's FIFA World Cup star Kristine Lilly unexpectedly retires: the interview

The moment that I'll remember most in Kristine Lilly's Breakers career was the short thank you speech she gave to the fans for continuing to support the team during their early season losing streak after last year's Sky Blue game...... Just as nothing could stop her from playing, nothing could keep us fans from supporting her and the rest of the team. Her legacy shows that dedication and loyalty can overcome any obstacle.