Kreis Traded

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Viking64, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Kreis

Today is bloody Monday :cool: , by dinnertime a few guys will have a new job around the league. Will Kreis be one?

He hopes not. He hopes that a position change to the opposite end of the field and a pretty hefty pay cut is enough to stay with FCD. He offered both already, but it might not be accepted by the General Manager.

Why? According to Kreis, the General Manager is not keen on him staying. The reason Kreis stated has more to do with rebranding the franchise than how he might perform next year.

Where is Clarke in this? Why is Clarke not making a recommendation either way to the front office? ...more to do with rebranding the franchise than how he might perform next year.

I have been hard on Kreis this year, I admit it. But he's made his case to stay and it should be accepted or declined on it's merits, based on the recommendation of the Coach. That's why you renew a contract.

The danger of remaking something in your own image, is that you might get exactly what you look like, not what you thought you looked like.

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kreis

You're saying Kreis would be willing to move to right or left fullback?

How are you getting your information? Youre credentials are solid with me - I'm just wondering?

3. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX

i'm with northside - your creds are solid, but what is the source?

4. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State

My source is who I said it is.

5. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
  6. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX

A dedicated Kreis willing to embrace a position change for the good of the club is something that FCD would be foolish to trade away.

7. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

Even if athletes have shelf lives, some deserve better than others.

-bs

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough. I think the most surprising thing for me is Kreis' apparent willingness to move to defense.

I am extremely torn over this. I got my Jason Kreis signed jersey in the mail Friday. He is our former MVP and a goal scorer like no other in league history and a hero to my 6 year old son.

I don't know what to hope for.

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clarke has told me he thinks Kreis can still contribute.... and not when CC was giving the party line.

If Kreis would play right back and take a pay cut I would keep him in a heart beat.

Maybe the FO feels he is something they can move for an asset. What if RSL really wants Kreis and will give up something FCD thinks they need... Why would you not move a player that looks to be "surplus to requirements" if you need something....

So if what Viking says is true, which I don't doubt.... the question is what does RSL have that makes it worth dumping Kreis? Something they will take in the Exp drat? picks? only the #1 pick makes me interested.

10. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I haven't lived in Dallas for nearly three years, but the club without Kreis just doesn't seem right to me. I suppose it has to happen sometime, though...

11. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

big rub in these words.....

Given that Kreis has offered to play right back, relish the role, take a pay cut,
    any trade of Kreis for an asset that's not allocation-value is going to be
    impossible to spin, and is going to give creedence to the charge of
    testosterone shenanigans.

-bs

12. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX

Kreis playing right-back would enable me to really feel good about the guy again. I love what the guy has done & his commitment & all but I can't help but not want him to start up fornt these days. He was indeed great but now he doesn't score often enough plus he doesn't make others score often enough.

It would be really awesome to be really excited about him starting again. Of course he might suck at right-back but I doubt it.

13. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003

Holy cr@p guys. This is not a U-10 rec team. "OK let the slow fat kid play right outside back and let the fast athletic kid play center forward."

I don't think so. Right outside back is not a demotion for when you become old and slow down. It takes pace and experience to be a good player at that position.

What about Kreis as a team marketing guy, or in group sales to local youth associations. What about Kreis as a guy who was integral to the selling of the soon to be established youth connection, (youth coach)? What about Kreis doing front office work and playing for a local inferior league team scoring truck loads of goals?

It would be kind of interesting though. He has played Goalie, Forward, and Midfielder during his stint in Dallas. I have never seen him play defense. I really don't want to see one of my all time favorites grovel like that.

Come on. I love the guy as much or more than anyone else. But, father time is a b@stard.

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think he would rather be playing, if he became a Roberto Carlos type then great but what if he can't handle it? I can't imagine him in defense to be honest, I just don't think he wants to move out of Dallas.

15. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jason Kreis is NOT old and slow.

He's only 32. Brian McBride is 32. Jaime Moreno is 31. He may not have 10 more years as a pro - but he still can play the game at the MLS level for a few more years.

And he is NOT slow. Lets also remember before we bury Kreis that it often takes 2 years before you recover 100% froma torn ACL. Kreis was back playing in 11 months but he may not have been 100%. Look at Edgarrin James. He had 2 soft years before this season. There are other examples, I just can't remember them now.

After pondering Kreis' predicament the last few eeks - I am now ready to say with 100% certainty that I want him in an FC Dallas uniform. He will have to earn a starting spot whether that's at forward or right back. Because of age, injury and decreased production he does not get the benefit of the doubt and the automatic start - but he shoudl get a fair shot at it.

I think he can add value to this team.

16. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX

I'm not convinced he'll be great at the position & if we currently had someone who I felt excited about at that position then I wouldn't like the idea at all. However Salyer & Talley did not exactly light the world on fire & I think Jason still has the pace to maybe be an upgrade. Whether he can learn the position better would remain to be seen.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Broome learned the position

18. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003

True. Farrer and Eck also learned other positions, but for which over-40 team will we be developing Kreis? Think about it. It just does not make a lot of sense other than finding a way to keep a buddy around.

19. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX

Albright and Vermes are other MLS examples of forwards making a succesful transition from forward to the backline.

Theo, I don't understand the age argument. You are willing to give a roster spot to a 37 yr old Aguinaga on the "Name" thread, but you are not willing to give a 32 yr old Kreis, one of the few Burn players that can play with the style you so much crave the same concession.

20. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

I've watched Aguinaga through the years. He used to be
    an excellent player. Will he also play for FCD for $100k?

I have a lot of respect for Alex, but I also think he would
    be totally exposed in MLS at 37 years old trying to run at
    the Zavagnins and Butchers of MLS.

If one considers Kreis at right back around $100k,
    and Aguinaga anyplace at $300k, the value delivered
    is not even remotely comparable.

I want to reiterate: Aguinaga is going to cost MaxCap,
    plus under the table shenanigans.

-bs

21. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003

You guys are probably both right. It just frustrates me to no end that we cannot get/buy/develop the type of soccer that I like to see. I saw the old man Aguinaga slicing up a young athletic Santos team. I'd love to be able to take my son and his cohorts to a stadium to watch, internalize, and emmulate this highly technical and astute passionate guy. I think that if he is still giving those type of performances, MLS would be a cake walk for him, even if he might need a cane.

Kreis, on the other hand was great-- on an MLS grading curve. Maybe I am wrong, but I think it will be a sad disaster to watch. I think that it is a little pathetic to see him so desperate to remain in the game. Unlike Aguinaga, we did watch Kreis against MLS opponents. I just don't see him projecting to success at that position.

22. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX

We share your frustration. We all want to see Dallas play world class soccer.

23. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

It seems like a significant number of us on here give our players a full half to prove themselves before judgement being rendered. While a guy like Dempsey might make the jump quickly, for most the transition from college soccer to MLS is a big one.

24. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX