Rumor: Kraft to Build Soccer Specific Stadium in Foxborough?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone actually have anything new to offer?

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Horsecrap. The abolitionist movement was very strong in the North. If it wasn't, nobody would have cared and the South wouldn't have been economically threatened by it's future outlawing.

Root cause: an initiating cause of a causal chain which leads to an outcome or effect of interest

In this case, slavery meets the very definition root cause.

3. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006

Don't you mean that slavery meets the very definition of ROOTS cause? ;)

Groundbreaking TV movie and now a groundbreaking thread!

[​IMG]

4. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... The Next Generation

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Rob Loves Celtic

Mar 13, 2010
    Durham, NH
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Wrong. Most of the North was in favor of letting the South leave peacefully. It wasn't until Sumter that it roused nationalistic feelings.

Also, secession was actually in the best interest of the abolitionists. If the North had let the South secede peacefully, they would not have had to enforce the Fugitive Slave Acts. This would have created a larger incentive for slaves in border states to escape north, weakening slavery by attrition.

Also, slavery was in decline in the border states at the time, with only the Deep South still largely dependent upon the practice at the time. Between attrition, changing attitudes, and the undeniable fact that free labor is inherently more productive than slave labor, the practice would have died out on it's own.

In fact, it's notable that the US was the ONLY major country with slavery in that period that ended slavery by warfare. Britain used a form of compensated emancipation. And Brazil ended by the attrition/changing mores method mentioned above, with emancipation steadily moving south. That very process was occurring in the Confederacy.

The simple fact of the matter is that ECONOMICS was the driving force behind the WAR. Slavery may have been a rationale for SECESSION, but it's indisputable that the WAR was fought over economics.

6. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium...Kraft...Foxboro...Anyone?

7. Rob Loves Celtic

Mar 13, 2010
    Durham, NH
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hint taken.

Sorry, sometimes just can't help myself.

8. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, which is why it is easy to get to/from Revs games in a car. There's no traffic to speak of. Even the Beckham games that double the attendance to 30,000 barely increased my traffic delays by more than a few minutes.

Someone on one of these interminable stadium threads mentioned the old Polaroid plant in Waltham, which I happened to drive by the other day. I noticed graffiti and broken windows. It's right next to a public park/open area in Waltham, Prospect Hill Park, which together with the old Polaroid campus, could have a large footprint stadium/parking lot built on, albeit a bit hilly and traffic would be a nightmare without an additional on/off ramp. Public transit bus stops nearby, on Main Street, which also connect to a commuter rail stop a bit further away at Waltham Commons.

[​IMG]

Prospect Hill Park is the green open space above in the center of the pic. The old Polaroid plant is at corner just above 117/Main Street, and just to the right of 128/95.

[​IMG]

Same again, closer image of Polaroid building, at lower left next to 128/95.

I realize this location as a SSS site is much more unlikely than either a Foxborough SSS or a Somerville SSS, but I'm just mentioning it to get our minds off of the Civil-freaking-War for a moment. :)

9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    01.) We need one, and before 2015.
    02.) Great NFL owner, so go great MLS owner
    03.) Nice little town, but we've seen it. Let's move on.
    04.) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY&feature=related]"...anyone can see."[/ame] :D

Then again this whole thing is just an escape from reality anyway.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would've been cool to have Revs v Benfica in the city as well just to do an A/B test of Revs vs opponent x when compared to opponent y v opponent z, controlling for venue and time of year. The Old Firm at Fenway is a good gauge for general soccer interest in the city and region but a friendly involving the local MLS team would be more telling about fan interest of MLS in an urban environment as it may pertain to a potential SSS specifically imo.

11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I love it. You are saying that the slavery wasn't a root cause. You are mad. Economics? Yeah that economic reason was the right to produce goods with slave labor. The Northern states were at a disadvantage economically because of slavery.

I'm clearly not stating here that the North rode in on white horses just to free the slaves. I've known that since the fourth grade. But you need to get your head out of the sand, slavery was in fact the root cause of the Civil War.

And btw, who was this "most of the North"? I mean, Lincoln won overwhelmingly in 1860. He sure as heck didn't get many votes in the south.

[​IMG]

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy/Rob, thanks for the history lesson....

But WTF does this have to do with Kraft Soccer or a SSS?

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere you two can entertain yourselves, no?

I say we move forward with the stadium that looks like a Fort on Boston Common!

:p

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A second US Civil War is likely to happen sooner than a Kraft built SSS?

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing new on the new (?) stadium. And this thread has jumped the shark.

Closed.