Korean Women's National Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jsk14, Jun 4, 2012.

1. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sbahnhof repped this.
  2. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    Any idea who will be in the starting xi for tomorrow?

3. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Jeong Seolbin (Son Hwayeon)

Lee Mina - Ji Soyun - Kang Yumi

Cho Sohyun - Lee Youngju

Jang Selgi - Kim Doyeon - Hwang Boram - Kim Hyeri

Kang Gaae

sbahnhof repped this.
  4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Kang is nursing a thigh injury and Jeong injured her ankle against Sweden and is questionable. I do think Yoon goes defensive in this one and plays both Cho and Lee Young-ju but think there's a chance that leaves Lee Min-a on the bench. Also think he'd be insane to not go with an all Incheon back 4 (Shin also questionable). So:

Moon Mi-ra Yeo Min-ji (Jeong) Lee Geum-min

Ji So-yun

Cho So-hyun Lee Young-ju

Jang Sel-gi Lim Seon-joo Kim Do-yeon Kim Hye-ri

Kim Min-jung (Kang)

Possible he wants to cram Lee Min-a in there in which case maybe Ji goes wide. If Kang Yu-mi starts, the Lee Geum-min swaps to the left. Just not sold on the notion that he suddenly is going to start playing Kang again.

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Should have started Lee Min-a. And I really don't understand Yoon's love for Kang Yu-mi.

I like Lee Young-ju a lot, but she was just terrible in this game.

6. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I like her. A lot.

sac517 repped this.
  7. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    France is just a lot better side.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They are, but the disparity isn't as large as it looked today.

coated repped this.
  9. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    i like lee yong-ju. a lot.

10. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    chook90 repped this.
  11. coated

coated Member

Jan 2, 2019
    This. So much. Apparently, the coach kept tinkering with the lineup up to the world cup. Kinda hard to built continuity and chemistry that way. And I agree, if you're being pushed around physically anyways, why not bring in a technically strong player like Lee Mina? While no one expected Korea to win, the coach should take a lot of blame for how things went down that game.

DynamoManiac and sac517 repped this.
  12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes. I figure, a reasonable approach to a 4 year cycle is you spend 2 years experimenting. Bring in new players, test them out, expand the pool, play around with tactics and so on. 3rd year, you start to hone in on your first team, get them jelled and get qualified. 4th year, you continue to jell your squad with maybe 3-5 spots open to competition.

Yoon basically did the opposite. Didn't experiment much at all in 2016 and most of 2017. Then, Oct 2017 Korea went to the US for 2 friendlies, and suddenly he brought a very experimental young team. A lot of debuts or players with 5 caps. And pretty much ever since, it has been an experimental squad and a pretty inconsistent one at that.

They scheduled only 3 warm up friendlies, and two of those were way back in early April against Iceland. From the players brought in for those friendlies against Iceland, 5 of them (who weren't injured) weren't even invited in for the 28 player pre-WWC camp which is bizarre. Players like Han Chae-rin, who has 19 caps since Oct 2017, Jang Chang with 16 caps since Oct 2017 and others suddenly aren't even in the pre-camp. So why have you been playing these players if they aren't even in your expanded pre-tournament roster?

Then, when other teams are playing 3 warm up friendlies in May, Korea has just the one against Sweden on May 31 and that game was the first time in a couple of years that you had that 11 on the field together (actually call it 10, because the GK situation is different) in a long time. So, no real surprise they are out of sync and generally look messy.

coated, aguy2die4 and jessypjs repped this.
  13. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    This is what happens with complacency and job security.

14. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Watched S.Africa 0 -1 China yesterday and today Japan 2 - 1 Scotland and England 1 - 0 Argentina.

Just two thoughts:

- Japan and China played their game but, i did not recognize the South Korean team in this tournament. Who is this team?

- In the inaugural Cup of Nations 2019, 4mths ago, South Korea beat Argentina 5-0. Yet Argentina is holding their own in the WWC whereas South Korea is lethargic, slow and unorganized. Who is this team?

Tunechi241, coated, chook90 and 2 others repped this.
  15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This. I've been critical of the KFA and Yoon on social media. One of the people that I know who has been hired by the KFA to work on this tournament for the past year DM'd me and thought I was being unfair and this was the best the team could do with the players at their disposal. I completely disagree, I've seen the team look much better, and between the way the player pool has developed in the last 8 years with WK-League and the overseas exposure and development for players like Ji, Cho and Lee Min-a, there is zero excuse at this stage to not be at least at the level of China.

From my standpoint, one of the strengths of this team has always been that they play like a team. Organized, connected, etc. They have not looked like a team in this tournament. Disorganized, no connection, just a giant mess.

coated and chook90 repped this.
  16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I went back and pulled lineup info from all 8 of the friendlies Korea played this year, from the January game against Romania to the May 31 game against Sweden.

Ignoring the GK situation because of injuries, facts on the 10 outfield players that were selected to play against France in the opener:

Number of different starting lineups in 2019: 8

Number of times started together in 2019: 1 (vs Sweden)

Number of times the back 4 played together: 1 (Sweden)

Number of times the 3 mids played together: 1 (Sweden)

Number of times the front 3 played together: 1 (Sweden)

Number of times Hwang Bo-ram played: 1 (Sweden)

Number of times Kim Do-yeon played: 1 (Sweden)

Number of times Kim Hye-ri played: 3

Number of times Kang Yu-mi played: 1 (Sweden)

That's pretty awful tournament preparation

12th Player, jessypjs and chook90 repped this.
  17. coated

coated Member

Jan 2, 2019
    #1517 coated, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    @DynamoManiac, In your opinion, do you think that the KFA should sack Coach Yoon? I don't want to be the kind of person that calls for firings after a few bad performances, but I do think that a coaching change might be necessary if we want to get to the next level. I think we've seen all that we're going to see out of him.
    Also, I wonder who's dropping the ball here in terms of the number of friendlies whether it's the coach or the KFA.

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Absolutely. I'm not necessarily a fan of a coach going more than one cycle anyway. He's coached two, definitely shouldn't be going for three.

The lack of friendlies thing, according to the KFA responding off the record to me, is his choice. He doesn't want friendlies every FIFA window, doesn't want to host friendlies, etc.

19. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I definitely agree with what I read above : It's hard to believe how bad they're considering they eliminated North Korea and tied Japan and Australia in the Asian Cup/WC qualifiers. Yoon has been in charge of the team for 6 years, I was expecting chemistry and improvement compared to 2015 edition, sadly all the contrary happened.

DynamoManiac and coated repped this.
  20. coated

coated Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Wow, that's just inexcusable. A coach that doesn't want to play games even when they're scheduled in your own backyard? Hopefully the KFA sees this current world cup and decide to move on.

I remember feeling the exact same thing watching 2015. I was optimistic about 2019 and thought that we would have exciting offensive football with improvement across the board. But, it seems we wasted the primes of these players

DynamoManiac and jessypjs repped this.
  21. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    What drugs is this person on so I can get the same thing.

I guess this person missed the memo abt this being the literal golden generation for the KWNT (or as close as we'll get to one).

chook90 and DynamoManiac repped this.
  22. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Korea 0 - 1 Norway

Penalty in the first 5min after a dive by Norwegian player where she pretended JoSohyun pulled her down in the box in a set piece situation.

Ive heard quite a few times from female footballer pundits that in the womens game they dont dive.

Yeah sure they dont.

23. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Good news is that Korea is player much much better.

Hoping for an equaliser.

24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Despite the pk goal, Korea dominated the game thereafter with multiple shots on goal.

However failed to convert so ended the half 0 - 1.

In the replays the Norwegian players play acting as if tazed. Literally in one of the overhead views you can see she just jerks her hips/body away from JoSohyun so she can fall down against her.

Totally fooled the ref. fcks sake. got the pk call and not even a VAR check.

25. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    another pk. this time legit, total mistake by Kang who stumbled before she could go for the ball and legs got tangled.