Korean legend Hong Myung-Bo going to L.A. Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by HwarangDo, Aug 23, 2002.

1. HwarangDo

HwarangDo New Member

Jun 5, 2002
  2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this heresay or can you actually claim a source? I've just checked some soccer websites and haven't seen a thing...

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like now?

Isn't the season nearly complete?

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he the defender? Or the striker?

I can't keep up.

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard he is not coming here because his Korean club won't let him go.

6. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    I think it is from that English "Sirshootalot" guy site. according to the site, his club team won,t let go to LA .

7. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's too close to Leno's studio.

RS

8. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    HwarangDo posted this in the Asian forumas well and his information is incorrect. The source he got from is in Korean and I'm not sure if he actually read the article.

Korea_Fighting gave an accurate translation saying Pohang officials are meeting with LA/MLS to discuss a possible move but nothing is a done deal.

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    in light of this, this thread is moved.

10. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    wow another great signing by MLS seeing as how many of the other "legends" did so great in MLS (Limpar, Mattehus, former Mutiny keeper, Hermosillio, and of course Hernandez...i also apologize for some of the spelling of the names)...but another great thing is the Galaxy have to cut one of there young american prospects, real smart MLS

11. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you seen some of our American "prospects" (I use that term very loosely)?

I'd take the bronze ball winner over Isais Bardales or Jesus Ochoa ANY freakin' day of the week.

12. mlsfan31

mlsfan31 Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how many Koreans live in LA? Did you see how committed they are to their national players? If he brings an extra 2000 fans a game it would be worth it. And what if he brings in an extra 5K for some games.
    I don't know how old he is but I'm sure he can play MLS quality for a year or two as good as any US rookie.

13. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Just for reference this guy is 33.

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and a world-class defender. at 33 you can expect at least 2 more top notch seasons from the man. i would say that this is a good move, as he is talented and not world reknown (ala mattheus). plus there is a sizable korean population in socal that would be inclined to show up for games, and unlike the mexicans who were supposed to come out in full force for hernandez, the koreans actually would. i believe they had korean night over in la and 5k showed up... to watch a bunch of white, latino, and black guys play.

15. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Great news if it actually happens. He's an awesome defender, so if he can get over the communication problems I'm sure he'll be an excellent defender in one of the spots that LA desperately needs help.

I hope it happens.

-Tron

16. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Yeah, all those Koreans in LA that are sitting around saying "You know, if the Galaxy would just hire a Korean player I would bring my 1500 relatives to every single damn game."

If you are Korean and live in the LA area please raise your hand if you are aware that LA has a professional soccer team. Wait, better yet, raise your hand if you are aware that there is a sport called soccer/football.

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He apparently also won the Bronze Boot as the best defender at the WC. Didn't even know they had such an award, but that's what the LAT says. http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-galaxy25aug25.story?coll=la-headlines%

Like Hermosillo and Hernandez when they came to MLS, he's probably near the end of his career. Unlike those two, he's still playing at a very high level and seems to really want to come to MLS. Who knows if the Koreans would really come out on a regular basis for league games, but at least the Galaxy would get a class defender who wants to be there.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The World Cup Finals were only two months ago. And people already forgot.....

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bronze Boot is for third-best player, not best defender.

20. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even better...

21. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but there are Korean newspapers to tell them that he is coming and that yes LA does in fact have a team. I'm not sure if those papers are reporting much about the Galaxy now or not, but his presence would make them a big story.

Also Korea Team Fighting was the big fad this year, and many Korean Americans were unable to get in on it, so seeing him play would be their way of doing it. I'd expect something like Nomo-mania but at a smaller scale. In case you don't remember or don't follow baseball, whenever he pitched his first 2-3 years, Dodger stadium would be a sell out with the added boost almost exclusively Japanese. This also often occured in visiting stadiums with having a "Nomo" boost in attendance. And remember DC and NY have very large Korean populations as well. I think it would be good for the league.

Plus, the BIGGEST reason for wanting him in the league, he is a quality player.

22. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since LAG has been the poster child for ethnic pandering (Campos, Hernandez, Hermosillo) this is not a surprise. Long time LAG fans have learned to be sceptical about moves like this, but certainly it seems like this guy can play so there is optimism. And for a team that has a history of being a little soft, some of that Korean Team Fighting spirit would be good if it could rub off on others.

LA had a "Korean Heritage" promo earlier this season, and it did draw a surprising 3,500-4000 red-shirted Koreans for that game. I can't fault the front office for wanting to tap that market - particularly where no other sports franchise in LA has aimed specifically at the Korean community (which, if you didn't realize it, is huge in LA and coming into its own economically).

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I guess you've never heard of Chan Ho Park. The Dodgers have been masters of ethnic targeting for over 40 years. The difference is that they realize the players have to actually play well.

I don't really blame MLS for the Hermosillo and Hernandez debacles. I expected both to do well. One lesson is that you can't have these guys play both for MLS and a Mexican team. If that's the only way to afford it, then forget it!

24. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chan Ho is in Texas and was a non-factor for about 2 years. There was no Dodger marketing built around him, mainly because he stunk and everybody knew it.

Don't think we have to worry about the Korean import playing Mexican club soccer.

25. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Hong is going to realize --like I did-- that LA, despite its pollution, crime, traffic, population, etc..., is one of the most exciting, hospitable and enjoyable cities of the world...

Don't you agree?