Korean Captain Hong might be joining LA

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dcunited4life, Jul 20, 2002.

1. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    As a Korean national team and DC United fan I'm very happy and sad to hear that according to Radio Korea in LA, Korean national team captain and World Cup bronze ball winner Hong Myung-Bo is interested in joing LA Galaxy. This could be a great move for LA to sign someone who is internationally recognized and could have huge impact with Korean population in southern California. Hong has stated that he has family members living in LA and would like to learn English in US to become an international coach one day.
    Any thoughts on his move and can anyone really verify Radio Korea's report. It would be really hard for me to cheer against LA now if Hong does play for Galaxy.

2. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    It is definitely true that they are looking at a couple of WC Korean players but I have not seen any specifics as to which ones.

Hong is excellent but perhaps a little old. I would prefer an attacking midfielder.

3. rapscallion

rapscallion New Member

May 1, 2002
    Yoo Sang-Chul would probably be the best fit, but he's probably too expensive for MLS, even though he's getting old too.

4. JohnMac

JohnMac New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Salinas, CA
    Who can play Albright's position?

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else but him. Seriously though, we've had Glinton, Mullan and Victorine up there. One of them could fill the spot.

6. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viva Hong!

He's definitely got a couple of good years left in him at the club level, and he's better than any of LA's defenders. He also has the brains to be a good coach.

7. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Just read an article stating that striker Hwang Sun-Hong wants to join Hong in LA next year. They both want to finish out their career in US to learn English. LA potentially will have two old but solid world cup veterans who could give the team couple of good years. Damn it's going to make it tough for me to hate LA. What are your thoughts regarding Hong and Hwang joining LA? Wish they were coming to DC instead.

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Korean player that plays the game with the verve, fight and commitment we saw at WC would be a welcome addition to LAG. I must admit I do not know these players by name. Can you tell us more about their positons, styles, strengths and weaknesses?

BTW, you are welcome to leave the dark side of the force and root for LAG whenever you want, whether LA gets these guys or not.

9. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    Purely in terms of experience, position and accomplishments and not in terms of style, talent, fitness, etc. A U.S. National team equivalent for these guys would probably be

Hong = Balboa/Agoos
    Hwang = Wynalda

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of style, Hong resembles Balboa a lot - rock-solid center back or sweeper, strong in the air, reads the game well, sometimes makes runs forward, not afraid to take the occasional crack at goal. Can also play d-mid.

Hwang seems to be a target forward. He is South Korea's all-time leading international scorer. I'm not sure whether or not he'd be effective paired with Ruiz, since despite his small size Ruiz seems to like to operate as a targetman. Still, Hwang can't be any worse than Chris Albright. I suspect that, if Hwang were to sign, then Ruiz would have to change roles.

Some facts on both:

HONG Myung Bo

Birth date: Feb. 12, 1969
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 160 lbs
    Caps/goals: 134/9
    Current club: Pohang Steelers (KOR)

* Has played in every match for South Korea in four World Cups; captained the side in 1998 and 2002. Scored twice in 1994, against Spain and Germany.

* First Korean to captain a foreign club side (Kashiwa Reysol, 2000)

* MVP of K-League in 1992 and J-League in 1999.

* Bronze Ball winner in 2002 World Cup.

HWANG Sun-Hong

Birth date: July 14, 1968
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 175 lbs
    Caps/goals: 102/50
    Current club: Kashiwa Reysol (JPN)

* Has played most of his professional career in Japan. MVP of J-League in 1994 and leading scorer in J-League in 1999.

* Asian Footballer of the Year finalist in 1999.

* Played in 1990, 1994, and 2002 World Cups.

11. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Hong and Hwang will be great additions to MLS. At least in DC, there hasn't been any interest in MLS among many Koreans who live here. I presume it's similar in LA as well. With the World Cup fever still burning there seems to be more MLS news popping up in Korean papers especially with the news of Hong and Hwang coming to US. I believe they will definitely help MLS not only in LA but other cities with big Korean population. I'm sure they will also be model professionals unlike other foreign stars who came and went (I'm sure you LA fans definitely remember a fellow name Hernandez?). I would love to see them in person and LA could become my SECOND favorite team.

12. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    I can respect you for sticking by your team. It's sad that you picked the wrong one.

I was in favor of the Galaxy looking for a Korean player going back a couple of years ago. Now the timing is just right but unfortunately the costs have probably increased significantly.

My only hesitation is that I think the league should be bringing in young foreigners like Ruiz. I have no reason to doubt the professionalism of Hong and Hwang just the length of time they will be able to play at their best.

13. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT THE F##K IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like the fact that we are getting a Korean player and hopfully he is what we need to fix our problems but LA GALAXY does not need your support DC Sucks, you the FIRE and the CUPCAKES bunch lucky SBs. (just some biterness from the title games)

14. solrac9

solrac9 New Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Alhambra,CA
    DON'T CHANGE ALLEGIANCE!
    You made your choice stick with it, ask TommyMack, he changed allegiance and ended up getting run over by a car........

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am shocked at you Solrac. We have a moral duty to help him leave the dark side. Otherwise he is doomed, doomed to a life of despair and misery in support of evil DCU. Bring in the convert. Welcome the prodigal. Hallelujah, Brother!!

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The only question is; is it already to late to save him?

17. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Here's how I look at it:

dcunited4life is like the christian (pick a denomination--any denomination) who strayed. Fellow never stopped loving soccer, he just started rooting for the wrong team. I imagine he lives close to DC, so I can see how he could be lost. Not everyone is lucky enough to live in this beautiful land, or smart enough like the coach to choose this team even though he lives in b___f___ Idaho.

If we are true fans, it might be our moral obligation to help this lost soul. Look what we did for Tommy Mack. I know he's still several years away from making a complete recovery, but he's getting there. It takes years for Scientologists to make a full recovery. (No offense to any Scientologists intended)

However, any of you that have dealt with addicts know that they can very easily fall back to their evil ways. I suspect that dcunited4life, even after changing his name to lagalaxy4life, would very easily slip on the black-and-red as soon as the Korean connections are gone. Pity.

However, if this guy is Korean, and lives or could move to our area and stand with the Riot Squad, AND HAS SOME HOT SISTERS OR COUSINS, I say we should do what we can to convert him.

"Hail, hail, the gang's all here!"

But if he shows up to support the Koreans and he's wearing a DC jersey, I say we strip him and burn it.

18. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be different here and say stick with your allegiance. TommyMack said he switched allegiance because he wants to support a young and finacially unstable league; basically he's pumping money in which is great. I believe if the league was more stable, he'd stick with Dallas.

Didn't we have a DC United fan by the handle of morrissey who had season tickets to the Galaxy? I'm not sure who or how he cheered for when DC wasn't playing. He must've been from the DC area.

Remember the poll we had before the BigSoccer Crash about switching allegiance? IIRC, some of us would still be G's fans regardless whereever we are.

So to dcunitedforlife, if you have connections to the DC area and nearby, I say stick with them. But if you were born and raised here, maybe you do need help. ;)

19. SocrStopr13

SocrStopr13 Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Whatever happened to having a Korean with the galaxy before the end of the allstar break huh. not a surprise though

20. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the SoccerAmerica MLS Confidential email sent today. Not sure if Ridge Mahoney knows who Hwang Sun-Hong is.

21. rapscallion

rapscallion New Member

May 1, 2002
    you guys need to focus on yoo sang-chul, an extremely versatile attacking mid who was once a forward. but he also played left back against italy after hong and kim tae-young were subbed out.

he was a prolific scorer in the j-league and just finished his contract. he's a little younger than hong and hwang, i believe. don't know if there's any european interest in him.

22. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Yoo played his last game with Kashiwa Reysol (J-League) last week and is looking to move to Europe. Although he is coveted my many teams, he hasn't found a club yet due to financial problems experienced by many European clubs. Even if he doesn't find a club in Europe, I highly doubt he would come to MLS since he can get paid better in Korea or Japan. Hong and Hwang are at end of their careers and their interest in MLS is based on their desire to learn English so they can prepare themselves for future coaching careers. LA will be getting two class acts and they will definitely serve Galaxy much better than either Hermisillo or Hernandez.

23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have you ever heard the expression, "Damning with faint praise"?

24. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Sports Chosun in Korea is reporting that Hong and LA Galaxy are expecting to hold a press conference at the end of this month to formally introduce Hong as a member of Galaxy. Since the season ends in September, Hong will start playing for them next year.

25. 100fyrz

100fyrz New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    West Hollywood, CA
    Does Sports Chosun have an English-language site or is it just in Korean? (I bought a copy of "Teach yourself Korean" for the World Cup but haven't had a chance to look at it yet ;) )