Korea vs Maldives [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Holyjoe, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nice win especially after coming home from the pub if korea lost i was gonna stay at the pub and get trashed and not come home

3. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Re: No changes for the Maldives game...

You are the master.

4. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
  5. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Man, China vs HK and Kuwait vs Malaysia games were so weird. It was 5:0 to China and 1:1 to Kuwait:Malaysia at one point, then it became 5:0 to China and 6:1 to Kuwait. And after Kuwait's game finished, China scored 2 more goals in the last 3 minutes of the injury time, to finish 7:0. It meant China and Kuwait both ended up with same points and same goal difference, but Kuwait advances as they've scored one more goal in total than China. And China missed a penalty in that game as well.

6:1 and 7:0... lol.

6. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    So what does that mean? China doesn't make the last phase of qualification? But that's crazy dude... if only our guys could score that much.

7. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    well, simply put China is OUT, by just one goal. And what's even more sad for China is that they actually missed a penalty during the game.

8. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Oh the cruelness ;)

9. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

Get HiDownload. You'll find it with a simple search.

10. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    Theres a guy on the Maldives team named ASFAAQ.
    LOL! I love this team.

11. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    7:0 and missed penalty? That is very suspicious given previous China vs Hong Kong scores. Anyway, good job by China and Kuwait (which will not likely make the final 4 qualifying to WC06 anyway).

12. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Me too. These guys have done their best in hostile place against a team they should lose to 7:0. Mal dives are not what their name says, eh? ;)

13. meron

meron New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    ny
    The China, HK score is definitely fishy. But then so was the Kuwait game score. All games so far have been low scoring games even from the best teams but when goal differentials count, all of a sudden China and Kuwait become scoring machines???? Somethings definitely fishy.

14. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Even though the player's of KNT don't train and play for every friendly or qualifying match, a 2-0 to Maldives is like France's 2-0 victory over over Faroe Islands. I didn't watch the game, but the fact is Korea needs to step it up otherwise they can expect an early exit from Germany. A 2-0 W over Maldives with the goals in the first half would be understandable, but struggling in front with a 3-4-3 formation? Please...

15. meron

meron New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    ny
    That's definitely my expectation. Friendly officiating and momentum of playing at home definitely pushed Korea to achieve the impossible but the hope was that they would be able to capitalize and grow on this success. I would say they failed miserably on this count thus far and I don't see Bonfrere having the balls to pull things together at the end like Hiddink did. As things stand we'll get spanked like the pre-WC2002 days.

Does anyone have the groupings for the final round of asian WC qualifiers??? Who are we up against? I hope we at least make it through.

16. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    For the WC'06 I would like to see Korea make it to the playoff rounds again but then again it is highly unlikely. I would consider it a successful WC if we managed to be pooled with Italy and prevent them going to the playoffs. :D

17. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We're grouped accordingly:

1. South Korea
    2. North Korea
    3. Bahrain
    4. Saudi Arabia

The other group has (and in no particular order as of yet):

1. Japan
    2. Iran
    3. Uzbekistan
    4. Kuwait

And my two cents about the past matches and the events of last night. Bravo for our boys in stepping up when it mattered. Sure, a 2-0 win over lowly Maldives is nothing to harp on, but getting through is what mattered and before we start talking about Round of 16 in 2006, let's get out of this final round. Apparently, the 1st and 2nd place finishing teams automatically go to Germany while the two 3rd place teams fight it out for the honor of fighting CONCACAAF for the fifth potential spot. Would be a bit special if South Korea and North Korea both made the World Cup.

Second, good-bye to China. WTF??? Asian Cup finalists in the summer and we had to bear the banter of these precocious Chinese fans talking shiet about this and that... it was the first time in my life I actually cheered on Japan. But now their campaign is as alive as pie in the sky. It's cruel and painful to go out the way they did, but folks, that's football. To have missed a penalty and seeing that as potentially the straw that could have broken the camel's back in your own favor is cruel..just like Japan tasted in 1994 when we edged them for that final AFC spot for USA'94. They'll get over it soon, but this talk of CHinese football on the rise was a bit premature (albeit a finals appearance in the summer was a memorable achievement).

So on we go. Should be interesting. North Korea is going to give us a run for our money.

18. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Eh, you know the draws aren't made yet, right? The only thing that's certain at the moment is that we won't have Japan in the same group with us.

Seed 1: Korea Japan

Seed 2: Iran KSA

Seed 3: Uzbekistan Bahrain

Seed 4: DPR Korea Kuwait

19. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    whats happening to korea buddies, theyr enot playin so strong, i expected a big win like ourselves with a B team

anyways the 2nd round will be tight!
    i hope we get japan, i want to beat them bad!

20. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I hope we DONT get japan cause with our current form we'd probably get bitchslapped.

21. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    adding to that yes we wont have japan in the same group as us

22. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    Hey whats up with the chants these days? They're sounding like AC Milan's stuff. BOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

23. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My apologies. I was looking at www.soccernet.com and they had this grouping so I was under the impression that these were the final drawn groups. But then again, it's www.soccernet.com and so I should have done something to verify whether it was true or not. So again, a mea culpa for putting something false out there. I retract it.

But that proposed grouping wouldn't be so bad now would it?

24. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, on the current form KSA would be easier than Iran, I guess. But if AFC is considering the political aspects of the groupings then both Koreas may not end up in a same group, I think (but then I don't think neither Japan nor N.Korea would like being in the same group either).

25. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    Both Korea displayed good friendship this past summer in Athenes. I'd be surprise if politics become any kind of a issue in drawing.