Korea vs. Greece Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ----------------------------------------------

Korea Republic 2 :: 0 Greece

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Korea vs. Greece Post Match Thread

Korea were nice a quick, but they should have had at least 3 or even 4. The second goal was nicely placed, but they didn't really kill off Greece.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Outplayed, outwitted and outrunned. It sucks to lose like that. Greece gets the dubious honor of being the first defeated team in the competition, and in what was their most important game.

4. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)

Overall a good display by the South Koreans and well deserved victory.They were organised in defense and never looked nervous...

Greece on the other hand has to go back to the drawing board as they showed very little in this match.They looked as if they didn't feel like playing footbal.

5. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Greece looked absolutely lost today. The race for 32nd place begins.

6. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I really liked what I saw out of the Koreans, definitely a well deserved victory and clearly a much better/organized side than I expected. It looks like the stadium gradually got fuller but I also expected it to be packed to the gills.

Is it me but am I the only one not annoyed by the vuvuzelas? Must be the rum for breakfast:D

7. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Well done South Korea. Doing the AFC proud :) Greece were woeful

8. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

If Greece had anything in forwards, they'd have been able to expose what to me looks like a very weak Korean defense. If Korea doesn't wake up and beef it up a little and stop kicking the ball out and giving free Corner shots, they'll be sorry.

Up front is another story, though. Korea's got game up front.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Fine with the 'zelas myself. Just a matter of getting used to them, and being capable of tuning them out.

It seems the Greek team has some internal problems. Not uncommon in teams that have half old players, half young ones. Generational conflict, something that is also affecting France.

Renhagel seems powerless to control the situation, and he said he will play this first game with the oldies (reason why Ninis wasn't used, too). I guess he'll be leaving the Greek team ASAP.

10. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston

really enjoyed the match. korea should have scored a few more, but i thought they did very well. some concerns in the defense, which i expect to be exploited by argentina.

korea's match against nigeria will be huge. can't wait.

11. NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Very difficult for a neutral to find any affection for Greece after that performance. It's very easy to cheer for overmatched teams that show some spirit or some creativity, but there was none of either.

On the other hand, I feel bad for Greece's supporters; no one wants their club to play that way.

12. spottedeagle

spottedeagle New Member

Dec 8, 2007

IMO Korea have been the best team so far in the tournament... in the last two games played in group A there were so many turnovers and players were able to control the ball not let the ball control them.

PS. the stadium had only ~30,000 people out of a potential 45,000.... honestly fifa that is a HUGE disappointed.. I don't care if you've sold almost all the tickets, that doesnt mean that you will fill the stadiums!!:mad:

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

I have a feeling that Korea has not shown all their cards yet.

Once they realized they could score at will, they stopped playing hard and changed to a training rythm, only waking up in some moments.

It's better for them that Argentina and Nigeria think, "wow, those Greeks suck!" rather than "wow, those Koreans have improved!"

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Korea were good. Cha Doo-Ri was the best on the ground, IMO. He ran at pace and crossed well from the right. Park Ji-Sung's goal reminded me of Paolo Rossi's second goal for Italy against Brazil in 1982. There was a blunder in defence and he just ran in and scored.

Greece were terrible. They couldn't put any passes together and they just hit hopeful balls. Vintra was atrocious in defence. Samaras played with no balls on the wing. Gekas had many half-chances but he couldn't do anything and Charisteas was lost on the wing. Gekas and Charisteas had heavy first touches too and they don't work well. Kapetanos did a decent job when he came on. Patsazoglou (?) looked decent too but this team really needs to improve.

So far, Greece has lost four matches, conceded 12 goals and scored none in the World Cup. What a crap team!

15. nevilarus

nevilarus New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Was I watching the 13th strongest national team (according to FIFA) in the world :eek:

Anyway, it's good to see an Asian team have big opportunity to get through the group stage.

16. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I thought Korea's centerbacks, Lee Jung-Soo and Cho Yong-Hyung were huge today. During the end of the game Korea definitely got complacent, but I have to give credit to them for overall doing a good job. Lee Young-Pyo was everywhere too, and it was nice to see that glimpse of fancy footwork that us Koreans are accustomed too (even if it was for just a second :p)

In all honesty, I'm really pleased with how Korea played today. Although it certainly did help that (no offense) Greece looked absolutely lost when trying to pull back a goal, I thought, defensively, we did pretty well. Offensively on the other hand, it's the typical make-chances-can't-finish syndrome. There were 2 real good chances that Korea should had capitalized on, both by Park Joo-Young, but nothing really came out of it. They'll need to work on putting chances like that away, but other than that, Korea looked good. On to the next game--I'm hoping we give Argentina a run for their money :D

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I think Greece had some chances, which showed the weakness of the central defence of SK. SK had most chances, to even score the 3-0 or even 4-0 (SK had 18 shots from which 7 on goal vs 6 from Greece, 2 on goal). Greece was not aggressive enough to counter SK energetic display. I saw a moment in the second half that Greece started to put pressure on SK (greece had 11 corners vs 6 for Greece) but it was way to late.

All in all in what a fair result. Greece maybe even wants to go home now, knowing they have still to play two better opponants in Nigeria and Argentina. SK think they can become second and I say good for them. It would be great for them if they can become second in this group before Nigeria.

18. kloser13

kloser13 New Member

Jun 10, 2010

Great game for South Korea. I hope Japan will do well too.

19. Covert

Covert Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

Not to take anything away from south korea but Greece's loss is rehagles fault, nothing more nothing less. He lined up a terrible starting 11.

-------------------Tzorvas
    Torosidis-----Kyrgiakos--Moras-----Spyropoulos
    ---------------------Papastathopoulos
    -----------Katsouranis
    ------------------Karagounis
    Ninis--------------------------Samaras
    ----------------Salpigidis

With the players we sent to the tournament this is our best lineup. Compare that to our starting lineup and subs. If we started with this formation Korea would not have been gifted those two goals (Both were products of Avraam papadopoulos ********ups) and we would have provided a legitimate threat to score.

20. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

We've got still have two more games against much better sides in Argentina and Nigeria. It was a good win but I am not going to take a breathe yet. We kinda looked lost for about last 15 minutes of the match. We can't afford to do that against the mighty Argentines and Nigerians.

Anyway, well-deserved victory for us.

21. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Nothing surprising here. I expect South Korea to go through.

22. pmhong

pmhong New Member

Jun 17, 2006

Park JS is the man of the match, but they ALL performed well, especially Park CY. Some people already comment that he missed chances and what not. But I think he played fantastic and looked like a killer goal scorer that Korea always lacked. (except for Chaboom of course)

Park CY played just one game in 06, against Swiss. He did not play well and even made the silly foul that led to Swiss' first goal. I think he matured a lot since then he has proved it today at least for me.

Greece did play poorly today so we'll see how Korea does against a better team. I just watched few minutes of Nigeria Argentina game. Nigeria looks bad, except for their keeper. He just stole a goal from Messi. I couldn't read his name but he looks like a great keeper.

23. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

great job South Korea! You guys could have easily scored 2 more goals in the match. Greece didn't look good from the beginning and only found stride late into the 70th minute forward. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the games play out: South Korea-Nigeria is probably the deciding match for who advances to the next round barring massive upsets.

24. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big surprise. Greece is definitely the weakest European team in the competition.

I thought Ki Sung Yeung was particularly impressive.

25. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

What about the non penalty call? And the "free kick"? Were they his fault too?