Korea-Japan Friendly Match Sept. 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Seoul Man, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The U22 Olympic teams from Korea and Japan will meet in Seoul for a friendly. Who is Japan sending and how would you rate the strength of this squad? Korea has collected a decent squad for this match with the likes of Choi Sung-gook and Jung Jo-gook on offense, Choi Tae-uk and Kim Doo-hyun in midfield and Cho Byung-gook in defense.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    long time no see seoul man.

i'm hoping they'll send their crap 'A' team again :D

anyway can anyone give me the link of the game so i can watch it online? what time will the game be broadcasted in pacific time?

3. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    2-1 FT

South Korea wins. Again, like the first leg of the match in Japan, it was men against boys. The Japanese squad looked utterly inefficient only until a vigorous Korean side had run out of steam towards the end of the second half for a brief moment for our defense to concede a goal.

I can't stress this enough. Please, let us not play friendlies with Japan anymore. I'm being absolutely serious. Why not set-up friendlies with South American or European squads. Our squad would gain so much more experience with tougher opposition.

Especially South American teams.

4. obtuse

obtuse New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    actually the japanese were far from inefficient as i remember and they missed a great oppurtunity on that through ball as the guy's first touch was just too long.. and another early in the game when they crossed the ball to the far post when they had a guy running down the short post side at the top of the box with no one within ten yards of him.. their main problem was that they kept getting the ball stolen from their feet..

now the korean side needs to put more mustard on their passes.. only real gripe about the team today as they played fairly well..

5. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Good to see you are still active here essvee. My comments on the game...

Korea dominated about 90% of the game. Japan had a few moments, but very few and far between. The only decent players for Japan were #10 (Matsui?) and the sub #21 who put in the header late in the second half. Other than that, there Japan had no sustained ball possession and only a few mild threats.

Both Korea goals came on corner kicks, both put in by Kim Dong-jin. The style of play was efficient and fluid. One obvious foul by a Japanese defender in the penalty area was not called by the ref. In fact, the ref was obviously paid off by the JFA :)

Overall, a good tuneup for Korea. But have to agree that we need to have more matches against a variety of different sides.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    The Japanese media is reporting that the gap between the two teams was more than the goal difference. I'm worried about our U-22. We might be good enough to get through the qualifiers but once we get to Athens, we may be in trouble.

Then again, we only seem to play Korea and it just might be that Korea's way ahead of the curve and Japan isn't so bad.

BTW, for Japan, they're talking about a friendly vs Qatar, coached by Philliipe Troussier.

7. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    we let the weak korea some moment for celebration which they will never have later.

8. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    What formation were they using? I have seen it that it was either 3-4-3 or 3-5-1. Regardless, WTF were they doing with 3 men only in the backline?

Didn't see it, but it looks like both goals came off the cornerkicks. Jesus, Japan needs to really drill on set piece (especially corner) defense. It looks like a big problem for both the U-22 and Senior teams.

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

ahhhh.... the mightiest of mightiest... bluest of bluest team had lost a match.... against its rival korea. It must have been a sad day. they were down by two goals the whole time and yet, korea being so generous, allowed japan to score a goal so hamatachi wouldnt feel so disgusted. i mean, how can such a strong team like japan lose to a small country like korea by two goals? Maybe someday... some future day... japan can field a team that can match korea... everybody will be looking forward to it.

muahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

10. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Both Japan and Korea used 3-4-3 formation for a majority of the game. Korea controlled the midfield for most of the match until the waning minutes.

11. BadAzzSnowboarder

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Not to be the buzz kill, but I really want to see Korea playing European or South American sides. As creatively, tactically, and technically superior our squad was, Japan was extremely weak. And for people to be happy about this win is all good and all, but keep in mind our opposition and the Korean squad had a gulfing gap in between them.

I can guarantee you our squad wouldn't have won a match that easily and pushed them aside so effortlessly had the opposition been a european or south american side. So, again, yes to South America/European and no to Japan when it comes to friendlies.

I also thought our defense exposed many holes because the squad was focusing solely on the attack. In order to be a well balanced side, the defense shouldn't have been vulnerable expecially in the dying minutes of the game.

Anyways, aside from man-of-the-match Kim Dong Jin, I've gotta say, I was very impressed with Kim Doo Hyun(his effortless style so reminded me of street football AKA dongnae chook-goo), Jo Jae Jin(this dude is going to rip it up in the years to come, I can't wait), and Jo Byung Guk(outmuscled and out hustled any attack near his vicinity as if he was a black hole).

12. BadAzzSnowboarder

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
  13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I have to say Korea's U-23 is the strongest in Asia. Both Lee Chong-su and Park Ji-seng are playing in a higher level than most of their Asian counterparts. What their defense looks like now? If you play Brazil U-23 (who dominated US full National Team in Gold Cup) and Argentina U-23, you have to face great attacking players such as Kika, Robinho, Diego, etc. May be at least you should get a game against US U-23 with Donovan and Beasley.

14. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

lets not btch about the refs after what happened during the WC

15. BadAzzSnowboarder

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Who's bltching?

Anyone who saw this match were upset, but we weren't bltching about it. Done and over with. This clip is here for those who didn't catch the game.

Put down your guard, bro. A little on edge there aren't ya?

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I couldn't get the video to play (I got the audio though) but I assume there was a bad call? If so, I hope you aren't surprised that an AFC crew made a bad call - it's the same AFC officiating that allows a Nigerian keeper to handle the ball 2 meters out of the penalty area.

17. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    can anyone find the goals and full game video highlights? If so, post it here please... thanks :)

18. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    it is beyond imagination how often these stupid koreans whine about bad calls even when they won and even in some local u-15 or u-22 soccer while defending themselves regarding what happened in the world cup by bringing up some fancy pics made by their sorry media while everyone watched it on live. but then again i consider it's just their nature and by now most of the people in bs know about it.

19. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    final 4 - final 16