Konrad de la Fuente setting the bar high at SD Eibar (olf Olympic Marseille)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Apr 6, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Mbappe heard you:

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm glad that Mbappe has shown himself to be interested in this competition with KdlF, but in all fairness to both of them, I think the important stat is goal-creating actions PER 90.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2353 The Irish Rover, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Per the Guardian the League's decision re the Nice match is in and, to nobody's surprise, Nice have been hammered as a club, while Marseille have been punished as individuals:
    * Nice have been docked two points, with one suspended
    * the game itself will be replayed at a neutral venue behind closed doors
    * Nice must play a further 3 home games behind closed doors
    * Marseille's Payet and González are suspended for 1 and 2 games respectively
    * Marseille's physio has got a nine-month touchline ban for punching a fan

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's early days, and they've played one game less, but they've hit the ground running this season and the feel-good factor is back at a club with a famously volatile fanbase. They're in third place with a game in hand, and the other big clubs - Lyon, Lille, Monaco and Bordeaux - are not in great form and there's unrest at all of them already, while Nice will have the League's sanctions to deal with.

They're looking good to be division's "best of the rest". They won't play PSG until October 24th. We'll know a lot more by then and even more afterwards.

Gacm32, Eighteen Alpha, eliwood and 2 others repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I missed this bit. That's quite the hefty ban

Deeneaus repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You're not a real club unless your medical trainer is ready to duke it out with the opposing supporters during a fracas.

Dizi, Winoman, Scotty and 1 other person repped this.
  7. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Confused about the point penalty for Nice -- does that mean it's effectively a one point penalty?

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes.

They have had one point deducted already so, 3 wins and 1 draw leaves them on 9 points instead of 10 in the table.

The other point will be deducted if there's any more s#*t by Nice's fans in their home stadium - or any other stadium - this season.

Gacm32, Winoman, BostonRed and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    First do no harm, but you can still catch these hands.

10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough, especially for a bystander.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  11. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2361 chrome_vapors, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Who is the bystander? Certainly not the fan. They were ********ing out of control. The trainer certainly isn't just a bystander either.

I've been on coaching staffs, medical trainers are no less a part of the group than any of the coaches, and the urge to protect players in that group of people is strong.

I'm not condoning violence but fans were on the field attempting to assault players. Maybe the trainer should have kept his cool, but it's not easy like that.

It was a very scary situation. Pure defensive mode once the fans were incited by I think Payet, and a bunch of them came onto the field.

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    From what I saw it was more of a shove (though it knocked the ultra on his ass) followed by a quick backward shuffle as if the physio had gone through riot response training and the staff may even have rehearsed such situations. Unfortunately, no else on the Marseille side copied his tactical retreat.

chrome_vapors, TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    On the bench. Europa League action @ Locomotiv Moscow today at 12:45 PM (eastern) ...

[​IMG]

BostonRed repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    When I saw this ...​

[​IMG]

... I expected the worst. Schalke! :mad:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is almost like going on vacation and when you return, somebody else is doing your project that you left pending.

glutton4Bolts, Pl@ymaker and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... Dieng provided almost all of the offense in the game over the weekend. I am not surprised they went with the hot hand. Bummer for KLDF though.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I bet Mbappe doesn't have to put up with this kind of sh!t.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it seemed to be easy enough for the coaching staff. The trainer should have stayed the hell out of it.

20. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Dieng seems to be playing the exact same role tactically as KDLF, unfortunately. Very wide, stretch the defense, run at the back line with the ball. This makes me a bad person, but I am rooting for Dieng to look horrible. Oh and right on cue, minute 13 Dieng dribbles into a dead end and loses the ball. Hooray. Of course it would be best if our guys could win spots on their own merits rather than the failings of others.

21. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Actually, one difference is that, in the final third, Dieng seems to be tucking inside quite a bit more than I ever saw KDLF do. Dieng is still providing width in the buildup but has different positioning in the final third. So maybe it was a tactical adjustment that explains the change. One thing I noticed in the last couple of KDLF appearances was the defenses adjusting to prevent that isolation with the outside back by dropping someone a little deeper on the inside, not letting him get to the touch line.

Anyway, I'm looking for a deeper reason for being suddenly dropped rather than just the hot hand hypothesis.

22. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    KDLF on, almost immediately OM draw a penalty. Clearly KDLF's entry was on the mind of the defender. Instant impact!

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I love the way he moves, always finding the open paths. He's never static. I think he's going to enter the convo up there with Puli and Reyna soon.

Shame his mates don't seem to see him, or anyone else, because they keep sending balls to the middle blind. Most straight to isolated defenders of 10-man Lokomotiv.

Namdynamo, comoesa and bballshawn repped this.
  24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all he has to put up with is watching two old guys play by themselves and ignore the rest of the team

25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1438582693780983812 is not a valid tweet id