Koke leaves Dynamo

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, May 29, 2011.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Koke leaving Dynamo

So, it sounds like we brought him in thinking that we may have made him a DP after July? Seems like a glorified trial. Did he understand that it wasn't definite that he would get DP money after July? We obviously don't have all the facts - and frankly, the individuals themselves may have different understandings at this point about what they saw as the "facts" at the time. But based just on what's out right now, it does look and smell like a bit of a cluster********.

2. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because we can't win real international tournaments?, If we don't win the CONCACAF CHampions League, no one will notice the league at all.

Also, it is easy to see quality on TV, but the physical aspect, not that easy, seeing a few games will never tell you how physical the play is.

Having said that, I would be so glad when the physical gives way to quality, physical will get you so far, physical gets you near to CONCACAG Champions League, quality will makes us win it regularly.

3. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe he understood but was completely sure he was going to show how geat he is, MLS?, Trial?, I will burn that league, bring it on.

Should be hard to be a bench warmer of a league not on the top pecking order.

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

5. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He always seemed like a back up signing to me after the young Mexican forward turned them down. I actually think this turned out to be pretty smart. I don't know much of a cap hit this cost us but his salary was pretty low ($153k) At most we only get hit with half that.

"We'll free up some good cap space," Canetti said. "We have a couple of guys that we're looking at that hopefully can be starters and make a difference."

6. Fred T. Jane

Fred T. Jane New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

...like Franco Carracio, Ade Akinbiyi, Luis Angel Landin, Abe Thompson, Joseph Ngwenya, Kei Kamara, Dominic Oduro, and Koke were supposed to?

Ah well, at least Houston didn't sign Denilson...

7. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All those guys added together might equal what Dallas paid Denilson. :D

8. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004

At this point might as well look to the academy and develop players from within.

The Dynamo can't seem to scout international players properly, or lack a structure.

I just remembered this: Colin Clarke has had HUGE success taking players to Puerto Rico Islanders who are from abroad, although of course it's a different situation. However, the guys he brings to the Islanders are relative unknowns yet work out very well for that league he plays in. Maybe Clarke is that good at spotting talent.

9. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you think with Koke leaving the dynamo will make a new offer to riordan?

10. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

latest FB update from Koke
    [​IMG]

11. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004

Riordan would be a panic move at this point.

12. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX

I agree with you only on Carrachio, Ade, Landin, and Tompson but I disagree with some of the rest.

Without Joseph we wouldn't have had as good a 2007. He played with alot of heart when given the opportunity. Same goes with Nate and Kenny Daglish in 2006. We won hardware because of them. They were good pickups at the time.

Kei Kamara was a good player who didn't work out with the coach.

None of these players cost us much (except Landin). I have more problem with not properly cashing in on the value we helped to create for Joe, Kei, Nate etc during their tenure.

We do not have as good a scout system in place to tap into South America as successfully as LA (Juninho - Brasil), RSL (Morales - Argentina), FC Dallas (multiple palyers from Columbia), Columbus (Renteria - Venezuala, Schellotto - Argentina) etc. However, for every import they have gotten they have also run through three that didn't work out for every one that did (maybe more).

We are not a big market like NY, AL or even Seattle. We have to buy low and sell high to make it work here. The organization probably will lose money trying to get big money players in order to win a cup.

FCD has been good at developing young talent in their youth system and getting a few from abroad. We are behind in that department - hopefully we start to see more competitive home grown players as starters in the Dynamo first team. We need better scouting for young players from South America.

13. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Ace, Houston has quality academy-grown players already.

Navas-Cobo, Dixon, and Soto.

They are just not getting a chance. Why? Beats me.

14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I am actually pretty impressed the Dynamo structured a contract such that the cap hit was only half. That was a good move in hindsight. They must have signed him through July with an option for the remainder.

REMEMBER - before people get too down on Dom, this was supposed to be a trial and Aris didn't want to do that. It looks like we structured his contract as a trial anyway (short term, low pay, half a season cap hit). That explains the low pay for a short term contract.

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

no, I doubt they want that trouble.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Quite frankly they are not good enough, with the exception of maybe Dixon (who may get time now). Cobo is the most talented but the kid needs to get in a weight room int he off-season instead of disappearing for several months. Soto, not sure if he will ever be more than a role player but I like his heart.

17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Thanks for helping us tie NYRB. Wished you were stronger mentally it might have worked out.

Don't let the door hit you on the backside as you GTFU.

18. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care that he's leaving. After all, he was only here 5 minutes, hardly enough time to form an attachment (or dependence on him like we had with Stuie and Rico.) That doesn't take away from the fact that our team needs a creative offensive threat in the middle. Back to the drawing board, Dom & Chris.

.....and Koke, good luck and good bye.

19. Fred T. Jane

Fred T. Jane New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Truly spoken by someone who apparently has never worked abroad for an extended period of time--much less in one where the culture is well and truly foreign.

20. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    troutseth:

Navas-Cobo would not need muscle in other leagues. He might just decide one day to bolt out.

Shame if this league can't be more than just tall, muscular, and strong people. That will just keep MLS from taking it to the next level.

21. My Blood Runs Orange

May 13, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cobo doesnt need to be big or gain muscle. Just look at Plata at TFC, everyone thought he couldnt make it in this league because hes 5 foot nothing and like 140 pounds. But he uses his skill to succeed, like he did on us. Cobo just needs a chance on the first team. Hell, the best player in the world is like 5'5, 150 pounds, Messi.

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think he's ready, and I think with the GC coming up we will see him.

23. My Blood Runs Orange

May 13, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so, he really deserves a chance.

24. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

I'm pissed we never got to see him at AMID. Guess we'll never know now. Hoping they bring in a nice AMID DP for us in a few days. Cameron's just not cutting it.

25. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think the front office was very smart on this signing. They didn't risk much and didn't lose much. I do wish we would really tell these guys the real story about MLS before they show up.

Instead of selling the league we should be sharing with them how hard it is to see if they still have their heart into signing. I would rather have someone with some "heart" with half the talent.

Koke thought he could come over here and just role over people by just showing up. He realized this league was a lot harder than he realized and he would not be an every day starter.

He quit because of this. That is it.

I do hope we can sign a guy up front who can stretch defenses (like Oduro) and score goals (unlike Oduro even though he has scored 2 for Chicago lately).

I think the Dynamo are going to struggle signing a solid DP until we get a new stadium.