Koi (like the fish - not Koi-Jana Hoever) - The new Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RobR, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    A quote from today's Rory Smith article in The New York Times:

"It is at the height of the transfer window that soccer’s goldfish memory, its faddishness and its immediacy, is seen most clearly. "

The article is about Gareth Bale but it could be about anyone. Now that Thiago is signed you'd hope that everyone would lighten the f**k up but you'd be wrong. Last year's transfer window was full of Internet-hamster hysteria about our failure to sign a backup left-back. Think about that. Try to find something in your life that is nearly as insignificant. "We failed to buy a second garage-door opener!" "We're all out of non-dairy creamer!"

If you can't stay off of Twitter or maintain calm on the forums perhaps it's time to consider a medically induced coma until October 6th.

"Oh wow! We got Thiago!!! And this guy!! And that guy!! Too bad we sold Hoever I liked him and had hopes for him. Why do you all look so frazzled and burnt out?"

newterp and soccershaggy repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deep thoughts. By RobR.

:D

RobR repped this.
  3. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    Not deep like near the diving board - more like where you wade in at the other end.

;)

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL somebody piss in your cornflakes Rob? :)

RobR repped this.
  6. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I'm going to look out the window and puzzle over the universe.

And bitch that we could have had Werner too.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I want what he’s sniffing.

8. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    A great day ruined by the passing of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Regardless of your politics, RBG should be recognized and respected as a great legal mind, largely unencumbered by purely partisan biases. So, alphabet soup: RIP RBG, YNWA.

burning247, delaynomo, SamScouse and 2 others repped this.
  9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it’s really a scary situation. I had a case go up to the Supreme Court and was seated in front of her (another person argued the case) - and this was right after Scalia died - they had a black robe covering his chair.

10. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone keeps saying they can’t wait until 2020 is over. I say we can’t let 2020 end, because then 2021. (Read it out loud slowly). Sorry I’ll get my coat...

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    erm ... what?

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    RBG's death is a real tragedy on many levels, and throws the whole election into even more of a dog's breakfast knife fight.

if any of the bible-thumpers were in fact cooling on President Batshit, will they now rush back?

will Moscow Mitch's insistence on being the Most Hypocritical Prick in the World push more undecideds over to Biden?

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Twenty twenty won ???

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    oh.

dear.

:rolleyes:

15. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played sir.

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Your posts need to come with translations ........

SamScouse repped this.
  18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    THIS is the President. Think about it.

1307318498205425665 is not a valid tweet id

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yesterday would have been when Wiesn starts and the guy reenacted the sad Narcos scenes in traditional Tracht. Thought it would fit in the "what a shitty year" topic

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #20 Samarkand, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    For football fans, this genuinely is the downside of the internet. There're always idiots who, despite appearances and performances, and the fact that they are amateurs, know better than the professionals. It happens every transfer window.

Prior to the signings of Thiago and Jota, how many read that FSG were only in it for the money, that they didn't know how to run a football club, that they were letting the fans down? Despite a League title and a CL the season before; despite having one of the best teams and squads in Europe (Atletico notwithstanding); despite having the best manager in the world; despite having one of the best transfer teams and value spotters in the world. Yes, these guys know everything. And the quickest easiest thing to shout is "FSG Out!" Probably because they're American, not local. Yet there's every reason to believe that FSG are one of the shrewdest owners in world football. That's the problem with the internet - everyone has a platform and thinks their opinions vital. (Including Samarkand!).

I think it was on these boards where - to be fair, an outsider - some f*ucking muppet came on here towards the back end of last season, proclaiming the only way for Liverpool to survive was to cash in on Salah and Mane now! because that'd be the best way to rebuild and in a year or three they'd be too old to extract enough value to allow rebuilding. Anything more needs be said about this pearl of wisdom?

The truth of the matter is that as a fan, I don't always agree with transfers, in and out, but usually the professionals, on and off the field, show their worth, especially Edwards and FSG.

I was distraught when we sold Torres, huge mistake etc. and yet in retrospect it was a fantastic piece of business because he was never the same player after his injury. Chelsea didn't know that and neither did we the fans. Sure there have been a few transfers that a blind man could see would be awful and were bad. Balotelli? Selling Sterling was a mistake, but then again, LFC's hand was absolutely forced so the best interests of the club were served by extracting maximum value.

But, by and large, these transfer mistakes have all occurred either early in the FSG reign, when they were still learning, or under other regimes. The frustration is that the idiot in-the-knows are always with us and they always know so much more than the club and the professionals and in the PL era hark back to a club ethos and era that has never existed before. We know better because Ray Houghton was a good signing and John Aldridge once scored a goal. 35 years ago.

Last summer the sky was also falling. We signed no one of note so therefore we were bound for failure. Until we won the league. One would have thought that should have been enough for the idiots, but like herpes, they'll always be with us and every bit as useful.

bayred, idreamofpikas, B.A. and 4 others repped this.
  21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 newterp, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    This applies to all aspects of life. Social media has allowed the dumbest of the dumb a platform to spout nonsense and find like-minded fools to give them affirmation. And of course this anonymity allows them to state whatever they want with no consequences.

It's a crime to yell "FIRE" in a movie theater - but you can lie and say whatever untruth you'd like on the internet whether you cause panic, injuries, or death.

hubbabubba, bayred, B.A. and 4 others repped this.
  22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Excellent point. A cousin and his wife are drinking the QAnon kool-aid. Christ, do they have the dumb!

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yikes!!

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've got a guy I play indoor with who believes all that Q bullshit. It would be hilarious if it wasn't terrifying.

25. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    I also have a cousin that believes the Qanon crrap. Because YouTube videos must be right.

newterp and Samarkand repped this.