Know any good portable mp3 players?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JeffGMc, Mar 8, 2003.

1. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thinking about buying one, any suggestions?

My camera takes compact flash, so if there are any that will also take CF, tips on those would be more appreciated. Thanks!

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  3. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Excellent, thanks fid.

4. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    granted it's the only portable mp3 player I've ever owned, but I love my RCA K@zoo player. I'm not sure if it uses the same system as your camera, but It holds five hours of music with the optional memory card, and has great sound quality. The only small downside is that it goes through batteries slightly faster than portable cd players.

5. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It seems to use the MMC card that a lot of them use. It looks essentially like a smaller version of the compact flash. But after doing some research I'm now leaning more towards 10-20 gig jukeboxes at this point, I need to go to a store or two and play around. Huzzah!

6. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    iPod from Apple. Accept nothing less.

7. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i got a cd/mp3 player down here at the bx. its made by memorex and will play cds burned with mp3s or standard audio formats. its not bad, but i dont think its what youre looking for...

8. jfugate

jfugate Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Chi-town
    I have a friend with an iPod and it is frickin' amazing. If I got an MP3 player, that's what I'd get.

9. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder New Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Only problem with iPod is the cost.....with running almost 300-500 compared to a Creative labs one running 150-200 or Nike putting one out that is 175.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Binghamton, NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of those mp3 players have FireWire though?

FireWire makes all the difference.

I'd wait a couple weeks as well, there are some strong rumors going around that Apple is updating the iPod line and will introduce a 40gig iPod soon.

11. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A couple that I've found. The Rio Riot does not, but there's one by Archos that does. Not sure about the Nomad.

And I'm sorry, there's no way I'm willing to fork out $500 just to have a faster connection to download everything at first, that's why we have sleep.

12. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder New Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Very true my good man......like I said.....look at Best Buy in the sunday paper section....they usually have some deals.

13. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was just going to go there tomorrow actually and play with a few of the things and see what prices are like.

14. judymd

judymd New Member

i have the rio riot - got it about two weeks ago. i like it but the downside is you cannot upload files from it, and you must use real jukebox to transfer files. i know some of the other hard drive players allow you to transfer files both ways, and also allow you to use it as a true hard drive - moving any type of file. but with those limitations, and a good price, i like my rio riot.