Knock-Out Draw Structure

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by Caesar, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Just a question, now we're into the games - is anyone a fan of the new knock-out structure? (i.e. assigning groups to the top and bottom half of the draw, no complete crossover)

To me it's annoying. For starters, we're starting to see repeats of group fixtures, which is not my preferred way to watch a tournament. Additionally, the bottom half of the draw is overly heavy due to ending up with the stronger groups. If there was total crossover then the distribution of teams would probably be slightly better.

Not that I haven't enjoyed the tournament so far, don't get me wrong. Loving every second of it, some cracking games so far and more to come.

2. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't really like the new style, but as you said, this has been a spectacular tournament so far.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like this format but the problem is if you crossover, then you wind up with one team having 2 extra days rest... one has to turn around a play a semifinal game something like 72 hours later, while the other team gets a full five days rest. 2004 final was Portgual v Greece... ironically the two teams who got the more rest over their semifinal opponents.

It's either that or leave longer gaps of rest between the stages.

4. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    That's exactly the way I see it. It would be better if teams from the same group couldn't meet each other before the final, but distributing rest-days more equally is the higher objective here IMHO.

People complain about easier paths for some teams, but that has nothing to do with crossing over or not. There'll always be easier paths and more difficult ones. If you want to be the best, you'll have to deal with it.

5. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What repeat? I don't mind this format. The rest gaps are almost equal now. Some argue that you don't want to see teams face each other again in the semis, but what's the difference if they meet in the final? With this format, the final is guaranteed to have two teams that haven't played each other in the tournament.

Will the World Cup have a similar format?

6. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    With 32 countries it might be easier to give everybody more equal rest days.

7. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Regardless of the days of rest, this format sucks. It couldn't be more annoying, UEFA is doing its business as usal once again.

Cross-over is much more in the spirit of the competition, as it always was. I guess they just can't help but to change things that needn't be changed and leave unchanged things that need to be changed.

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Spain and Russia in SF2. ;)

9. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Rest? Russia had 2 days and Holland had 6. It really doesnt matter that much.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In my opinion the bigger problem is the trend to have two hosts at the same time with teams lacking skill. Unfortunately this time the champion was a weak team too, so three of four heads of groups were occupied by very low skilled teams.
    => the strong teams were condensed together in the same group and u need to be little lucky to play a normal tournament (like Portugal, Croatia or Germany).

That's the main problem, i thin and it won't be better next time in Poland and Ukraine.

11. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Correct. World cup history shows a lot on this. In 1990, I remember Cameroon played the 1st Rof16 match and England the last, three days later!!!

and yet, they overcame the indomptable lions.

12. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2000 Euros held in Belgium/Netherlands had a normal crossover knock-out draw structure and had no issues with lopsided rest days. It did, however have two extra days with no games. There were two days with no games between the group stage and quarterfinals.

So, I think the trade-off is either have two more days with no games to watch (lower TV ratings overall, probably) or use the Knock-out draw structure we see here in the 2008 Euros.