Klose or Gomez, who should start for Germany?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Loddar, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Completely evade my point. Nice.

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Your facts are right, but the bolded parts you belittle are very important.

You're comparing what Klose has already DONE (or 'fluked') for the team of concern for TEN years with what Gomez might do. If Gomez's NT performances are better than Klose's in a few years we will have another Gerd Mueller (who was also very good off the ball and linked up via 1-2s better than anyone in his teams).

What are the chances of producing a striker whose goal output is between Klose's and Mueller's and all-round game is like Klose's or Mueller's??? This is the reason why we support Klose.

It's not worth kicking out Klose based on what we've seen up to this date. Until the Euros end at least. Then Klose will simply be too old. We will have 2 years to get a new forward line working.

Klose set up Oezil for the 4th goal against England. The pass from his own penalty area to the halfway line. He can do that while Gomez is more likely to do the basic defending. Just pointing out that they both do work around the defensive penalty area.

I've said all I can on this and I totally agree with derchef and vasu on it.

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Similar to this

hypocrite

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't waste my time if you don't read what I'm saying. Klose, as I clearly said, has done that for TEN years FOR the team this thread is about. The implication being he's still doing it right now up to the injury.

Gomez did what he did 2 years ago, and then got dominated by Hummels last year.

5. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some of the pro Klose arguments remind me of the pro Ballack arguments prior WC2010...
    like taking his past deeds as an argument to let him stay in the team.

But well I would give the pro Klose side, that Klose would be the slightly safer option 2012. You surely would get a reliable performance from him. Not truly outstanding, but not bad either.
    With Gomez at this point of time you might have some more question marks, how he would handle the pressure in the next tournament for example.

Still potential wise I totally agree with Dage that it´s a no brainer, that Gomez is the outstanding striker here (imho the best in the world atm behind Messi). So imo Löw should do everything to establish Gomez as the number one striker now and give him enough confidence prior the Euro in the NT.
    If Gomez should be injured or lose his form for some reason, you could still bring Klose in then, without him needing much build up before.

Here I would also make the Hummels vs Mertesacker comparison again. Mertesacker would be the relatively safe, reliable option, while Hummels has clearly more potential, but still needs to settle in a bit more with the NT.

6. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think my posts here have been incredibly balanced; I think we are all agreed that we want the best man for the job.

As I said earlier - for me at least, Miro just about edges it. He has the credentials, the experience, versatility and slightly-better all-round game. The key for me is that he is much better at taking the sharp chances. Had Mario put away those sharp chances he got against Belgium - and the shot right at the death against Turkey that he blasted into the Istanbul night - I might have had him just in front.

What I am saying is that if the Euros were to start next week, a fully-fit Klose would be my first choice. We still have the rest of the Bundesliga/Serie A season to go as well as a number of friendlies, and by then some of us may have changed our minds.

Who knows, we may all be begging for Jogi to bring KK back come summertime. ;)

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gomez played good at the home match, away game yes but then again so was Schweini and by such logic.. Sahin is obviously better than Schweini then right?.. And Gomez has been doing it for 4-5 years, only 2 seasons back when he got benched he didn't show that much.

Like I said, you're a hypocrite

8. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DerChef:
    Yep, I am sure when we are close to the Euros, we can look back at this thread and laugh, that some people truly wanted Gomez not to be in the first XI.;)

...or well laugh at the opposite...:eek:

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I respect your opinions either way, whether I may disagree with you or not. However when someone (for ex. Squid) constantly uses hypocritical and double standards in most of his posts, it's hard to take it seriously.

The most important thing here is competition. Competition for the most part will only push both of them to be better!

10. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Indeed.

11. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I couldn't agree more. I actually think it's good that we are even having this discussion at all - it suggests that there are two good individuals chasing the same spot. The same goes with Poldi v Schürrle, Khedira v Kroos and Hummels v Merte (OK, slight lol at the last one).

It is a whole lot healthier than only having the one player and sweating over their fitness as the competition approaches.

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed, esp the bolded part :p

13. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let me start off by saying that I don't agree with anything you've said here. Let me also say, that I generally find my self agreeing with your views, but not here.

They are not really past deeds. He's been scoring for the NT at a good strike rate ever since the WC
    For the sake of comparison, lets take the period after the WC, which according to Gomez fans is his best ever. Aug 2010- present.
    For the NT
    Klose 10 goals in 13 games
    Gomez 9 goals in 14 games.
    I could have made an error in counting the games. But their performance in the period that is Gomez's best and Klose's bleakest ( club wise) is at par. Both have done exceedingly well.
    The picture that you are painting is abstract art, but this gallery calls for realism. :p

Gomez is better for his club. No denying that. But Klose is destined for bigger greatnesses. Minor things like club football do not appeal much to him :p
    :confused:
    Klose at his very best ( which btw was for a very long time) is arguably Germany's 3rd best striker of all time. And this doesn't have to do with just the # of goals he has scored.
    Gomez, on the other hand is not even in the top 10 strikers who have played for Germany.
    This is hardly a discussion.

We have to remember that Klose has played with a very weak support cast for the initial many years of his NT career. 2001-2006, were dread years. I can't imagine Gomez being in that team and carrying it to the heights that Klose has. Gomez just doesn't have the temperament and the necessary composure.

Also, its after years of international football that Gomez has finally managed to shrugg off his stage fright.

I think it is the other way around. Klose should be the first choice by default. And Gomez is a quality sub.
    As someone on the thread said, we're lucky that we are spoiled for choice.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ...not second-best striker of all time?

16. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh dear. I now have this vision of Gomez buzzing around a lampshade.

18. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Klose has better ball control and link-up play, this really cannot be overlooked in the context of the current NT setup.

19. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How many of these World cup games did Gomez start.

Well seeing the way Gomez dominated Kompany (A top defender) is refreshing compared to Kloses dissapearing act

20. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whatever. Let's hope both are fit to play against the Netherlands, and they can split halves and score a ton of goals. Pizza for everyone!

21. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Amen to that.

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't believe so many of you are ready and willing to dispose and discredit Klose like that after everything he's done just because Gomez's upturn in form. It's as if his accomplishments and consistent performances just vanished.

23. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FR, don't take it mean but you could be a good E. Ribbeck. Throw in youngsters in numbers and settle on several of the old guard at the same time no matter what. He's 34 in summer no sane human despite some Italian maybe would prefer Klose as starter over Gomez. Klose is great for the chemistry of the team and expirienced, he's the perfect super sub. That's the common role of 34 old international veterans and most of them don't have a peaking Gomez in front of them. It's no nuclear physics at all.-

24. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Klose leading the poll by 1 vote. Wow this is close! :D

25. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany