Klose a possibility?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by bigtoga, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Eto'o would be a good purchase if United could get him for a reasonable price. Always good to have a player who can perform against Madrid. Plus, Eto'o seems to rise up to the big games. He scored a fantastic goal to beat Brazil in the Confed Cup this year.

As far as Nedved, I really don't see Juve selling him in the middle of the season. Yes, they did sell Zidane when he was at his peak, but that was in the off-season, and they bought Nedved to replace him. (Not a bad deal for Juve - they got a ton of cash and a very good player in Nedved.) The other thing to keep in mind about Nedved is that he is 31. I certainly wouldn't pay a lot of money for a 31 year old attacking mid, and I don't think Juve would let him go cheaply, as he's on top of his game now. (Did anyone see the volley he scored last week? Wow, was that a great goal!)

2. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    E'too is an awesome striker - he finished the last year in ferocious form and I was surprised he didn't leave Mallorca. The problem was the money - as Madrid own half his contract Mallorca was asking for something like 20mil I think. (Valencia was trying to get him, and if there were rumors of a link with Chelsea). Not sure exactly how he's doing this season as I haven't been paying too much attention to Mallorca, but he's scored 4 goals through 9 games. He's a good player, but I think they'd ask a lot for him.

3. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
  4. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Aww geez - then I'm certainly an a$$hole for not reading before posting!!!! lol - my apologies :)

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    20Mill is alot yes, but he is what 21-22? he has years and years ahead of him. Getting him would be a good idea, if he fits in to SAF's plans. Wouldn't we all like to get back to seeing a 2 striker formation?

6. van_da_man

van_da_man Member

Aug 4, 2003
    UK
    ive a feeling that fergie may bid for defoe in january

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No doubt we need more fire power and cover. Ronaldo has come out and said that he is not pleased by his being subbed out of every game and has voiced that he would not be opposed to a move back to Inter now that Cuper is gone. I don't like Ronaldo but he is experienced and is still a great finisher even if he cannot create for himself anymore. He leads La Liga in scoring and I seriously doubt that he will be going anywhere but just thinking about ManU swooping for him makes me dizzy. Imagine, own Ronaldo 9 and Ronaldo 7 Manchester United Kits...

8. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-germanyklose&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Says Klose will likely leave during the Winter break and that he wants to play for a Champions League team. Bayern are mentioned as are Dortmund as interested parties.

I wonder if, with Scholes and Ole out, we're more interested now than we might have otherwise been? I know both are due back shortly and we've been good without both lately, but you have to think that there is now no cover for Forlan/RVN if one goes down. Klose might be the best option we'll see for under $25 mil.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hmmm

I like Klose, he should be cheap, but Jermaine Defoe and Louis Saha would be cheaper, and they also play in the EPL so there would be less adjustments to make... Defoe I think is a good fit, but not strong enough to play single striker. However, He could partner Ole Gunnar/Forlan and with Scholes Ronaldo and Giggs just behind, I dont think we would be terrible.

I would like to see Klose, but will we spend that kind of money on a back-up? I hope Sir Alex will go for someone and that whoever it is will allow us to play with two strikers... Klose and Defoe both give us that option.

10. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Re: Hmmm

Maybe its just me but, from what I've seen of all three, I see Defoe and Saha as good players sort of like Bellion whereas Klose seems more of a current threat.

Is Klose better than Forlan? Its impossible for me to guesstimate as I haven't seen him enough but I definately don't see Defoe or Saha as better. Are Defoe or Saha better than Bellion? I certainly think Bellion has more potential than the others. He made need a little more time and, if we needed a striker *today*, he would not likely be as prepared as Saha or Defoe.

And its been a long time since SAF played with two strikers consistently. I'd really be surprised to see him buy a new striker and place them immediately in the starting lineup. Maybe we buy Klose and by the middle of April we're playing with two strikers consistently but I doubt he would buy someone like these three and have them in the lineup immediately.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Hmmm

Right, you make alot of sense, but Klose is better than Forlan. Five goals in the world cup and he has been a monster for some time. Defoe however would be a different kind of buy, not a pure striker or the threat as you say, but someone to compliment Ruud and allow Scholes to play attacking mid instead of withdrawn striker which would really strengthen our midfield. Saha has scored against us this season hasn't he? I think Saha has had good results and he would certainly get more chances and better service at ManU. Anyway Saha is better than Bellion and I think he is more consistent than Diego... Diego can at times create something out of nothing, but he does not pose a consistent threat... Also Saha is physical and strong and could perhaps for 1 or 2 games spell Ruud as a single striker....

But as you say, Klose is the best of them all and he would sit on the bench awhile, however the fact that SAF did not go after Makaay worried me. I think Klose is the best replacement for Ruud and he would increase our fire power immediately, especially in the air. However, Defoe would make us the most flexible... In Ruud we have a true CF who can play alone if need be, with Defoe, we would get someone who can play in tandem alongside, or behind a striker, and Forlan can also play alongside, and on the wing.

I dont think that we will go after Klose though, SAF does not seem to want to spend money much anymore... I think we need one more great player to make it in champs league though. At this point SAF looks like he might be about as certain as plunking down 30 mill for Owen as he would be for dishing out 10 or less for Klose.