Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, Aug 27, 2007.

1. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy need a couple more DP slots, why can't they get them from Colorado, Columbus, or Kansas City? They don't need the picks..

The Galaxy needed that 16 year old, I'm glad they got him, plus they need the first pick in the super draft next year, plus a couple 2 or 3 DP's next year, so they can be competitive and have a shot at winning it all... They are the first MLS super club, so MLS needs to help facilitate this process....

2. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?? Oh, I see...this was reported by MLS "RUMORS":rolleyes:

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as of today, teams can hold no more than 2 DP slots.

4. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been pretty accurate the past few weeks, actually...

5. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few weeks?? That's quite a resume!! How about that Thiago to DC rumor? They didn't even break the Denilson rumor, but whatever...they're all just "RUMORS";)

6. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Shhh! Don't squash the Smurf nation's hopes of getting used and abused for a 2nd time by Donovan.

7. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Wow! Very true! but the "fact" of the matter is that New York has nothing nor does it relate to the problems of the L.A. Galaxy or this thread! Is that so hard to understand:rolleyes:

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Didn't MLS just pass a rule that teams have to interview minority candidates for coaching and management job openings?

So, the first time there's an opening since MLS passes the rule and it's highest-profile team appears set to just ignore it and hire a non-minority without even interviewing other candidates.

So much for the rule.

Or are blond-haired, blue-eyed Germans considered minorities in MLS' eyes?

9. Kung Fu Hamster

Kung Fu Hamster New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Good point. I still think it's more the "World Cup winner" on his resume than the "blond-haired, blue-eyed German."

10. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Why interview someone else if you have the opportunity to hire someone like Klinsmann? What's the point? To interview them just for political correctness' sake and turn them down?

Anyways an interview is 0.1% percent of coaching. Look at what's happening to England's NT.

11. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballack might not like Chelsea so much in a year and I'm sure playing for Klinsi would keep his NT hopes alive.

12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just call Needham (i think that's how to spell it). He'd cost less and is at least respectable. Martino loses respect with every lazy half assed tackle that may ruin a career.

13. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call Xavier a has been just yet. He has been solid.

to the above: What would any MLS team give for a GM/Manager tandem of Klinsi and Peter Wilt? Sounds like a dynasty in the making.

14. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta admit, even in Germany blond-haired, blue-eyed Germans are a minority----never mind in LA :D ?

Porque , no guestas los Alemanos?

15. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he is an immigrant. sort of.

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of them do you see in Southern California? :D

I personally don't like these rules:

1. Because there's no evidence that it has any impact on the actual _hiring_ of minority candidates, just it has an impact on PR for the league since they can then be said to be "addressing the issue."

2. Because a sharp team should be able to take advantage of others' unwillingness to take chances on minority candidates.

3. The problems with coaching in this country start at a much more basic level than a lack of minority hires. Experience (either playing or coaching or both) over skin color should be the rule each and every way you'd like to break that little equation down. On that score, Klinsmann is an awfully attractive option compared to most MLS head coaching options including Denis Hamlett. The flipside of that is that down the road guys like Edgar Davids or Claude Makelele would be a lot more attractive hires on that score than Richie Williams or Jeff Cassar.

That Denis Hamlett hasn't yet been offered a head coaching job in the league looks as suspicious to me as anybody else, but any cure to that issue is likely to be a little draconian. The "must interview minority candidates rule" on the other hand doesn't really cure anything so I'm not sure what the point is of the song and dance routine other than as eyewash.

17. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I agree that is like calling Sergio Conceicao a has been and he had a good year in Portugal last season. Of course, last time, I heard he is chasing greener pastures $$ in the Middle East.

Xavier would be a starter in the Portuguese league if he played there today. So he is not a has been.

18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Ha! We used him to help us get two championships, then when he fell out of favor, chopped his head off (the Landy pinata). So who's using and abusing who? :)

Seriously, FWIW, most Quakes fans don't want him back (and the chances of it happening are very slim anyway, I think, for several reasons). He's a great player but booing Landon has sort of become part of the Quakes fan legacy. It's just too confusing to like the guy, then hate him, and then have to like him again.

19. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    sort of confirmed here:

http://www.all3points.co.uk/cat/chelsea/she280807.php

20. 2020mike

2020mike New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    If Klins takes the job the only guy from the 06 World Cup added to the squad is David Odonkor. In my opinion hes the only one who will be able to keep pace in MLS that can be bought. Podolski, Schweinstiger? Keep dreaming their making mad money in Europe.

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree as to the cost of Odonkor making him available, but he is not really even close to being good enough for a DP....so as a non-DP OK, but as a DP it would be idiotic.

22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an independent minded coach and GM? Doesn't sound like you've ever worked in an organization.

23. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Aren't these basically the same story, citing one another as their basis?

24. 2020mike

2020mike New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Im not saying he is worth DP money, but if there isnt a DP spot to be had thats all the Klins might be able to get from the WC06 national squad. Everyone else is very recognizable on that 06 squad and could command a premium in pay playing in Europe. Odonkor was a suprise NT pick to begin with and I think Klinsmann has a soft spot for him. LA could pick him up for under DP level money.