Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, Aug 27, 2007.

1. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I knew that would get to you:D:D

2. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell does Lalas care? He'll be elsewhere in a year or two.

The track record doesn't lie: two years in New England; a year with NY; a year with KC; "retirement"; a few years with LA; GM of SJ; GM of NY; GM of LA.

Throw in the ESPN cameos - while in-season - and you have a guy who probably isn't cut-out for long-term planning.

Bring on Klinsmann. I love watching LA fail, but come on: the Quakes need a healthy rival next year ;)

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If LA were to offload Donovan there are only two teams that are an actual possibility, New England and DC (I don't see him moving within the West). They are the only teams with the parts that could be traded while keeping their DP.

What is the status of Shalrie Joseph and his contract? A pairing on Beckham and Joseph in the middle is a scary thought.

4. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D
    Donovan isn't going anywhere. His wife works in TV, he's not moving. MLS will change the rules to make it happen.

Unless she gets sh*tcanned from her sitcom, can't get work, and then decides that she'd give it a go as an actress in London :D

5. UCLAGALAXY

UCLAGALAXY New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Santa Barbara & LA
    Assuming that this rumor is true, and assuming we have all the same players back (and healthy), what formation do you think Klinsy goes with?

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Seems like a GM/Coach role would be more suitable to someone of Klinsmann's notoreity.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the rumors of Klinnsman taking over Tottenham Spurs a little stronger than him taking over LA?

8. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who will it be from Germany 2006?

Klose? :D

Ballack? :D

Podolski? :D

Schweinsteiger?

You can bet if one of these guys comes over, it would only add more profile to the league, invite more players to come from europe, and convert more eurosnobs.

9. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'd think someone like Oliver Neuville on a non-DP contract is a lot more likely.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Only in LA, huh? Are you really that out of touch? Those things have already been happening in NY/NJ since the league started. So like every thing else in America, it happens first in New York and is then copied by LA. Although NY had the good since to suck when hardly anyone was watching. LA on the other hand...;)

12. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D :D :D ROTFLMAO

Funniest post I've read in a long time.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. As long as the red-headed idiot is in the equation, there's not much hope for the Scum. If Klinsmann can manage to get rid of him, then things will probably be different.

14. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas is done. I can pretty much guarantee that he'll be fired, if not very soon, by the end of the season.

Lalas is a joke. He took a half way decent nucleus that rallied to make the playoffs last season, broke it up so he could rebuild with players who were either completely unproven youngsters (Findley, Harden, Veris, etc), or players with vastly overrated "potential" (Jaqua, Martino, Quaranta). Then, early this season, when the reality that this "strategy" was failing miserably slapped him on the face, Lalas knee-jerked into trading for players who were very close to being (or arguably already are) has-beens (Pavon, Xavier, Klein)

We can talk all we want about all the injuries, but the bottom line is that, beyond Becks and Donovan and perhaps Cannon, this LA Galaxy team is horrible. There is just a complete lack of true quality top to bottom. And that is Lalas' fault.

And even though you can give the excuse that he's been dealt a losing hand (with all the crappy players), Yallop has been horrible as well. When the LAG had Jaqua, Jaqua would stink it up at his natural position of center forward (getting in his teammates way half the time) a lot of the time (probably just not a good fit for LAG, since Jaqua was decent for Chicago and has since been decent for Houston). But what did Yallop do when Jaqua was stinking it up at his own natural position? He put Jaqua at right sided midfield, just so he could stink it up even more!

Then there is the latest "tactical" decisions from Yallop - making Becks play the full 90 after playing a full 90 the previous day for England in London, with the super long flight in between. And not recognizing that this injury plagued collection of no-chemistry crappy youngsters/over-the-hillers was giving up a flood of goals, and badly needed some huge bunker defensive 4-5-1 tactics, just to get things together.

I say let Klinsmann be coach and GM (and hire an assistant GM to handle business matters), and let Klinsi just run the show, both on the field and in acquiring players.

15. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stronger? Maybe. More logical? No.

16. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Neuville could be signed for non-DP money, but I don't think that Klinsi would be attracted to such a player. At 5' 7" Neuville is not a target striker (always has worked as a withdrawn forward). With Becks whipping in crosses, the Galaxy should be pursuing a forward who can knock these crosses 'on' goal consistently. I can't logically see Klinsi getting Neuville before the transfer window closes, so LA probably wouldn't be able to sign him until next season at which point he'll be 35. Regardless of my opinion, here are some stats on Neuville:

http://www.oliverneuville.de/?301A0A4620206
    Year Club GP Goals
    2007/2008 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 0 (54 min. in 3 games)
    2006/2007 Borussia Mönchengladbach 16 4
    2005/2006 Borussia Mönchengladbach 34 10
    2004/2005 Borussia Mönchengladbach 32 12
    2003/2004 Bayer 04 Leverkusen 32 6
    2002/2003 Bayer 04 Leverkusen 33 4
    2001/2002 Bayer 04 Leverkusen 33 13
    2000/2001 Bayer 04 Leverkusen 34 15
    1999/2000 Bayer 04 Leverkusen 33 4
    1998/1999 FC Hansa Rostock 33 14
    1997/1998 FC Hansa Rostock 17 8
    http://www.borussia.de/de/profis,107,0.html#
    This link has some film highlights. Click on Oliver Neuville's name, then click on the "Film ab!" button.

17. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    New York!:eek: Please! Nobody cares about what is going on with the freakin New York New Jersey Metrostars RedBulls! Look at how much media attention this whole " Beckham/Galaxy Sucks" dilema is attracting around the world.

Yea, like what, your horrible attendance? Thanks to the L.A. Galaxy and Beckham you average attendance increased! Nice try!
    "West Side is the Best Side" :cool:
    Now go home Rookie!

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you're nuts if you think it wouldn't be an even bigger story in NY. The fact that the Galaxy sucking is a story has nothing to do with it being LA, and everything to do with David Beckham being there.

19. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Could they not get rid of Lalas, and keep Yallop anyways.
    I do think Lalas needs to go his mouth has been quite leaky now a days, and its not helping us much.

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think it would do Lalas some good to get fired. Seriously. It would be a good lesson in humility. At what point does he finally become accountable vs. axing yet another fall guy coach or walking away to the next job? I don't think it will happen though. His philosophy on the business of soccer (soccer players as "entertainers" - e.g. "don't bore me", he tells the players) is right in line with AEG's. That's why he's their boy.

21. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    How about we keep it with facts and less on assumptions;)

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fact. NY #1 market and much more world renowned city than LA. Period. Enough for you?

23. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    My god.We're talkin about Klinnsmann to coach an LA Galaxy with Beckham, Shevchenko possibly coming to DC United as soon as next year, and a DC Fan sticking up for New York. Has hell froze over? are dogs n cats playing together in peace? :D Would anyone have believed any of this a year ago?

24. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't think any amount of years could have prepared me for the uber-fanboy that is LA Soccer Nation. :eek: