News: Klinsmann Press Conference / Introduction

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by woodythenetminder, Aug 1, 2011.

1. woodythenetminder

Mar 18, 2008
    DC area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well . . . I am very excited and impressed with Klinsmann and the way he tactfully told the press in no uncertain terms under that smile:

I am in charge, changes will be made at the core levels of the game and it is not going to be pretty for some of the entrenched entities (namely MLS!!!)!!

I am posting some quotes and I think many of us are glad to see the technicians are going to make the changes the politicians couldn't fathom!

"I have my own ideas on how to build a program," Klinsmann said. "But I will always check, double-check whether it suits the American game.
    "I deeply believe that soccer, in a certain way, reflects the culture of a country. Studying the culture of the U.S., it is quite a challenge. It is such melting pot."

Meaning: we will scout the barrios and the latin leagues as well as the rich kid academies to identify, develop and encourage top flight talent. We will get these youngsters into the U.S. national program before we lose the to the countries of their parentage!

Further proof found in later coment as Klinsmann insinuated he will play a style based on possession tactics and aggressive techniques that are in line with the American attitude. No more reacting to events on the field; more creating events on the field for winning results.

"So much influence is coming through from the Latin environment that needs to be reflected in the national team, Klinsmann said. "We want to play possession, we want to dictate the pace of the game, we want our players to improve technically."

Klinsmann will foster the proven changes that worked among the DFB clubs which have had such telling results in improving "Die Mannschaft" with young players of diverse backgrounds (Kedira, Ozil, etc.). He wants this technical direction to spread and be embraced through the upper level amatuer ranks as well as Major League Soccer. He is focusing on spending time to "build a network of people who will move U.S. soccer forward."

To that end, Klinsmann said he has touched base with two New Jerseyans -- Claudio Reyna and Tab Ramos.

Reyna has been setting the groundwork for some of the changes that Klinsmann is advocating as youth technical director for U.S. Soccer. Klinsmann must be impressed (and likely worked behind the scene for this transformation) and Klinsmann ws adament about Reyna having a distinct influence over the youth system's evolution in hid new administration.

Tad Ramos will likely continue in his position as U-20 coach on a permanent basis since Klinsmann was very positive about the two having discussed the status of the team and direction.

“Over the years Sunil and I talked. ‘Where’s the game in this country? What are the issues in this country?’” Klinsmann said “Throughout the years there have been different moments. It was never the right moment. Now there is just a certain comfort level between the whole federation and myself. Now is seems the timing is right.”

In other words; Sunil will get the F out of the way and let the professionals do it right though Klinsmann and Gulati said that "suggested" past disagreements over Klinsmann level of technical contol in the USSF were "overblown." The sides now have a "feeling of understanding."

"It's not about power," Klinsmann said.

Here I agree; it isn't about power (which is political), it is about results and growth (which is technical)!

2. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Funny how the very first quote you posted from him contradicts what your imagination wanted to hear...

3. woodythenetminder

Mar 18, 2008
    DC area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no contradiction.:confused: He didn't say he would be checking in with USSF, he said he would be keeping his hand on the pulse of the game in this country. He wants to make sure he is in line with the reality of the domestic game, culture and environment. Not the culture that roams the halls at USSF headquarters in Chicago.

BTW-why make this comment unless you have some other proof in point and history to back it up? Why make a personal comment? Why not look at the entire text of the conversation, face movements and some of the eneral discomfort seen on the face of Gulati? Did you watch the conference? What facts can you put forth and comments can you make as a read?

4. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went well. The only question that he didn't like answering, was the one about how far he expects to go in the World Cup.

He answered honestly, he knows he's in on a restructuring project with Claudio Reyna and co. Klinsmann might not get the glory, but he's focused on laying a solid foundation.

And I totally agree I think Klinsmann has been talking to Gulati over the years.

In another thread I mentioned that Gulati failed to meet Klinsmann's requirements, then the USSF/MLS started development academies. 2010 in an interview Klinsmann said a nation needs a structured style to succeed, and a few months later Reyna's curriculum is released.

The first year is going to be tough, he still has to win enough to keep the fans happy.

The more coaches we get on the same page, the better U.S.' future in soccer will be.

5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Klinsi basically has the mantra that 1-We should qualify, 2-Then we advance from our group, and 3-If we can advance from the group, it is up to the Football Gods.

Of course he is apprehensive about how far he's going in the World Cup. That's a dumb question to begin with.

I am glad to know that he is here to lay down a new foundation. Even if Klinsmann goes three and out in the World Cup, it's good to know that the seeds of future success will be planted. As long as we can change the psychology and philosophy of American coaching, and get as many people on the same page as possible like you say, I think the US is bound to succeed, if not in this cycle but certainly the next.