Klinsmann: Fabian Johnson needs to "rethink approach" to team

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think we use him where we need him based on opponent. I've said this in the past, but I'll say it again.

Against teams that will PRESS US, he's useless as a LB or RB. He's better inserted closer to the action so he can get the ball already in dangerous positions (CM/LW/RW).

Against teams we can shove the ball down their throat, we can play him as an outside back because essentially, he'll be overalapping a ton/switching roles with our midfielders when he gets the ball deep.

DHC1, Mr Martin and russ repped this.
  2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got me thinking about the number of US Nats who over the years have generated the most debate about the best positions/roles.

Fabian Johnson: LB, RB, LM, and some suggesting CM.

O'Brien: LM, CM, LB, as you already noted.

Donovan: LM, RM, SS, ACM. He was arguably the best US player in each of those roles during most of his years. We argued a lot about this on BS.

Holden: CM and RM. This got mixed into the nepotism mess, too, since BB was accused of protecting MB90's starting role by keeping Holden at RM.

Dempsey: RM, SS, ACM, and even as a #9. Although I think these debates were not as heated as others.

Cameron: RB, CB, or DM. This debate still exists today.

Bocanegra: CB or LB.

Adu: ACM, SS, or LM. Though I think this got mixed into views of Adu potential as well.

Reyna: CM, ACM, RM, DM, and even RB at times.

These players were all fairly versatile and could play multiple roles well. Nice to have those options.

To me it comes down primarily to two things: 1) where does the player currently play with his club team and 2) where is the greater need on the Nats.

Right now Fabian Johnson's primary club role is a flank midfielder during the last two Bundesliga seasons, and I see the US Nats' LM role as the biggest hole since Donovan was dropped in May 2014. I also think Ream has been a pretty solid option at LB while between Yedlin, Chandler, and Lichaj we should have 3 good options at RB. So, in 2015 and 2016 I'd play FJ at LM for those two reasons. Back in 2013 and 2014 I favored FJ as a LB, because he played there primarily for his club, the US had a pretty big hole there, and we still had Donovan for LM. In the last 2 years, the situation has changed both in how FJ plays for his club and where the US has a greater need.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The best attacker in a team generally gets played where he is most prolific as the best attacker being at his most prolific is typically a key driver of team success.

Bob moved Donovan to midfield so he could see more of the ball and thus be more prolific especially against decent sides.

JK should move Fab around midfield and forward until the best position(s) in which he is most prolific for the team are found. Fab is the best attacker in the team. Starting an attacker at fullback for tactical purposes is something that should be done only with supporting players like Brek Shea.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Outside of bicanegra, that looks like a list of the best US soccer players in the last 15-20 years.... A player or two could be missing. I just hate the out position arguments we see now.

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say it looks like a list of the best us players without Boca but leave Adu on? Your tripping. As for a player or two missing (outside of keepers) the obvious player missing is Dolo.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I deeply apologize fore leaving Adu on and after much thought, Cameron would the next guy taken off. I'd say the other six were our most talented soccer players in the last 10-15 years, but I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose cherundolo could have been one of the players left off.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If you're just talking about talent you need to leave Adu on, and move him up.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don't really remember... I probably left him on because of talent. I did not leave him on or take him off to create a debate. My general point was that international caliber players can be successful in many positions and I don't agree with all the complaints about players being played out of position. If they can't adapt, it just highlights the weaknesses in their games. I'd take FJ at left over Frankie Heyduke any day.

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the rub, the job of a coach is to put players in the best positions for the team to be successful. Putting them in positions to highlight their weakness is dumbassery of the highest order.

Jk needs to rethink his approach to coaching. By all accounts, he wants players to play on instincts with minimal tactic instruction. Which can be a valid approach even if it does make some players uncomfortable. It is very likely the best approach to line-up selection in light of the laissez faire approach to tactics is to put players where they feel most comfortable positionally.

I am not totally opposed to playing players out of their positions, but I do believe that/those player(s) need more specific and detailed tactical instructions.

FTR if our on field performance was decent and/or our recent record was not abysmal then there could be a valid argument proffered that it was working. Such is clearly not the case. Just as we setting new records in the run up to the last WC we are now setting records in epic fail in the beginning of this cycle.

Tejas and ebbro repped this.
  10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

deuteronomy repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We won plenty in CONCACAF with Donovan as our best player, and he was quite soft, perhaps even softer than Fabian. On the other hand, Landon is a genius.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You had to catch Dono before dealing with soft Dono. That wasn't so easy.

exref and Magikfute repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    LD was mentally soft at times but was a real cyborg in terms of stamina and durability.

Fab is mentally strong, but his body breaks down giving him a fair amount of muscular injuries. This is partially why I'd like to see him played at wing-forward or central midfield where he won't have to do the type running required of wingbacks and wide-mids.

14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    LD wept...

Is that really a USsoccer twitter account as in USSOCCER posted that about one of our players.

Say it aint so....

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's hard to win concacaf with softer players, but fairly easy to win in the Bund or CL with them, I guess.

Lol. Give me a team of Fabio-level "soft" players and I'll give you the head of the Hex, every time.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found it to be such a crap tweet

exref, Gamecock14 and freisland repped this.
  17. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is.

But, JK was the first to call FJ soft.

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Link?

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    they have nothing to do with USSOCCER other than being 3 guys who talk about the USMNT and MLS. noone employed by USSOCCER would ever say anything like that.

20. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you know what thread you're in?

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    The JK rebuked Fabian for throwing his team under the bus for his other team thread?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm willing to give Klinsmann the benefit of the doubt on this issue right now, although I'm not siding with him at this moment. I'd like to know more facts. Landon questioned a few dual-nationals, refused to mention any names, but its reasonable to suspect that a player that the coach has questioned in the past for his commitment might be one of the players that Landon was referring to.

23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is the type of hot take that makes me long for a world without twitter.

Tom Collingsworth, exref, russ and 3 others repped this.
  24. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being one of the best and being "soft" at the same time are antithetical. .. I'd like to see the metrics used to measure softness as perceived on the field...no one, IMHO, who makes it to the top tier of professional soccer can be truly soft; they'd have never made it that far if they were. Relative to other pro's perhaps, but still un-quantifiable, hypocritical in essence and just plain wrong.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You can be ace for your club but "soft" for your NT. Messi was an example of that until recently.

Also, there,s physical soft (not uncommon with smaller guys --after a brutal foul, they don't play the same, and that was LD's case at times); mentally soft, when they disconnected when things started goimg south; and those who started the game "soft" already, more concerned about keeping healthy for their club when playing for their NT.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.