Klinsmann Comments about State of US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Hoopscoach, Jun 27, 2010.

1. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dude, the g-force collisions inherent in the game of American Football cause brain damage. Particularly in children. 50% of high school football players experience concussions. Most of those will suffer long-term brain damage from it. Tearing an ACL might be a sports ending injury, but it's not even in the same zip code as exposing children to near-certain long-term debilitating brain damage.

I intend to stay out of it. I intend to keep my kids out of it. And I don't want my tax dollars going to support a boy-killing, brain-cell destroying, barbaric display of child endangerment and abuse. It's basically parents sending their kids into a gladiatorial dog-fight.

2. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It really is not as bad as you make it sound, a tons of us here are fans of American football as well...

3. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to replace American football with a sport that has fewer concussions, Soccer really isn't the sport you are looking for, try Tennis perhaps.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-05-04-concussions_N.htm

Most notably from that article.

"The most concussions occurred in football and boys' and girls' soccer."

4. Grave27

Grave27 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this all came up in Bio class last spring when talking about the cell/gene make up Men and Women how diff. we are from each other.

5. usasupporter

usasupporter New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SKIPPY! DUDE! For someone who says they want to stay out of it you certainly seem to be inserting yourself into it! I don't know where you obtained your 50% statistic and I am not really interested since we are being washed away with study after study with differing results. Here is a link to NuerosurgeryToday.org. http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/patient_e/sports.asp
    This article concerns concerns sports related head injuries. The number one sport with the most reported head injuries among children in the US is cycling with 70,802 reported incidents in 2008. Football was second with 40,825 reported incidents. Basketball and baseball were next in line. Soccer was sixth on the list with 19,252 or about half of the head injuries reported in Football. Concussions and head injuries are a risk in just about any sport. Quit riding your bike and start playing Football, it appears to be safer by this particular article.
    "Boy killing" or "sending kids into a gladiatorial dog fight"? Just a little over the top I think.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You guys talked about the correlation of having wide hips and ACL tears? What did you guys find out?

7. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    The basketball analogy doesnt work for me. You look at the Olympics and World basketball championship and you see that out of the top coutries US Brazil etc. American basketball probably has the worst technique. Its all about slam dunks and double dribble. One can say in these tournaments the US team has the LEAST heart. More Ego.

I dont think we need a bunch of gang bangers in soccer to make us better. Let the bangers throw up their gang signs in the NBA.

Also yea football is dangerous, but if they did a study saying everyone who plays will be a cripple invalid by age 50, they still wouldnt stop its growth. Theres too much money and football is too popular. Hell peopl are more worried about saving ducks and banning foi gras than the damage football does.

8. usasupporter

usasupporter New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did read something along those lines in a news article a year or two ago. Besides the High School girl I wrote about with the torn ACL I also have a niece to played soccer at a Division I school. She tore her ACL had it repaired and then tore it a second time playing soccer. She will have some problems with that knee the rest of her life. She can not play anymore but she coaches High School soccer now. I am not making light of injuries and don't wish to see anyone hurt but injuries happen in all sports.

9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep they do! And that argument about HS football being dangerous.... well YEA!! ALL sports are dangerous, but the key with football at that age, and i've seen interesting stuff on doc's about HS football, and the biggest issue is letting these kids play too early, and many hiding their symptoms of concussions so they can be the 'tough kid' and earn 'rep' amongst their frineds and not look like '**************' infront of them cause they have headaches.

The sport shouldnt take the beating, its the coaches that let them keep playing or the regulations of HS football that lets them on too soon.

Concussions happen in soccer too, and many MLS careers as of late have ended as a result. Eskandarian, Bryan Namoff looks set to retire, Josh Gros... heck DC United has bad luck with that. :(

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true. I believe it has to do with the femur angle created from the wider hips (something like that). It is almost to the point that girls who play high level club and college soccer expect to tear their ACL at some point - or at least aren't surprised when it happens. It is weird but good business if you are an orthopedic in a affluent suburban soccer town.

11. Grave27

Grave27 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will try to make this short......

No we did not, it was more about how men and women are bodies are diff. when it come to being athlete along with training. What comes down to how diff. the muscle mass is in men and women. On the outside you can see how diff the muscles are in men and women as far as size goes and how they develop when working out. Something that I did not know is when a women is doing hard training, lets in range of football players, that her......well you know what turns off because the body can't not do both and we all know what happens to women when they workout hard over a long time, they start looking like Men as estrogen production changes to testosterone.
    Now as for the wide hips and ACL tears, I bet has to do some with range of motion, i.e flexibility, the muscles in the legs, and bone structure in the lower half of the body when the hips are wider then normal. There maybe a tie in with it how there body changes when they are pregnant but I maybe reaching on that one.

12. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I have an ACL injury right now and did some minor reading. I remember reading that females may get it easier bc men tend to have more muscles in the lower parts of the leg that may "absorb" more of the sheering forces that tear the ACL, and thus are less likely than women with less muscle strength on average to get the ACL tear.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yes, women have much higher ACL rates in sports than men.

More studies have been done since that one and are ongoing.

http://www.youcanbefit.com/ACL.html

14. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're in such a statically insignificant minority that it's not even worth talking about.

US Soccer fans pinning their hopes on the abolition of high school football are setting themselves up for incredible disappointment. We've known there were risks involved with the sport for years and yet there are no advocacy groups making such inane demands.

And keep up the hilarious hyperbole. You make football sound like the Vietnam War or something, bro.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks for the info guys!

16. Perth Glory

Perth Glory New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief, you're opinions about American basketball are incredibly ignorant. Who on the USA national basketball team is a gang banger? Really? Kobe, Boozer, Bosh, Kidd, Chris Paul, Lebron, Tayshaun Prince, Redd, Dwayne Wade, and Deron Willimas are notorious gang bangers?....wth are you talking about?:rolleyes: Carmello anthony has had some issues with pot, but I definitely wouldn't call him a gang banger.

And as far as technique and desire, they had plenty of both. Who is double dribbling? No one is double dribbling. Do you mean traveling? Do you even know what double dribbling is? It's apparent you've never played basketball before.

They were the most athletic team in the tournament. This afforded them easy baskets, including dunks. It would be nice for our soccer team to be that athletic where it afforded us easy goals and tap ins, no? Also they have plenty of technique, just cause they can dunk doesn't mean they can't hit 20 ft jumpers, but why shoot a jumper when you have the athletic ability to get easier points up close. Moreover, the effort they put on the defensive end was incredible. They came together as a team after never playing together and won a gold medal over teams that constantaly play together and who are also filled with players that play in the NBA, what more did you want?!

17. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of AYSO and MLS should create a pathway for hispanics kids.

18. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sold on Klinsmann, especially not now. His 2006 team in Germany seemed a bit reckless and overly aggressive. Right now, I'm more worried about our back line than our attack. And the buzz out of Germany was that their success was more down to Joachim Low than it was Klinsmann. Who knows if that's true, but his tenure at Bayern did very little to improve my belief that he's a good manager.

19. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, that's why we should pursue Joachim Low

20. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsman would be a good technical director signing. I don't think he should be our coach tho

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't promote soccer in the US with the coach picking his nose.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm, the local DevelopmentAcademies have roughly the ethnic mix of the State's population. The only NC signee I know is African-American and most assuredly not from money.

I'm a whole lot less worried about diversity than I am about being England, that is prizing athleticism at the youth level, playing to athleticism at the youth level, and then wondering why other teams seem to be completing more passes at the World Cup.

23. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I still don't understand who is going to pay for all this development. In England, Shrewsbury (Pop. 70,000, Birthplace of Charles Darwin) has a professional team. They have development academy that identifies local talent from the innercity.
    That's the equivalent of Youngstown OH ( Pop. 77,000, Birthplace of Warner Bros)having a professional team.
    I don't expect that too soon.

24. Grave27

Grave27 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean who is going to fund it or are you talking about people who pay the clubs?

25. Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1 New Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Agoura Hills
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was right on! I vote for Klinsmann.