Klinsmann Comments about State of US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Hoopscoach, Jun 27, 2010.

1. gators35

gators35 New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That the problem. We need more kids playing soccer. We lose to many kids to other sports at a young age.

The MLS is still a secondary league.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    subotic was discovered while playing in a park

3. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I dont agree that its something like a country's government should be deciding for its people. If soccer as a sport is not popular within US culture, there's historical reasons for that which wont easily change.

4. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounded like an impressive first interview.

:)

5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I especially liked what he said about hispanics:cool: You guys can guess why.

6. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow 5 guys? Impressive...:rolleyes:

7. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What sport would occupy the big grass field in the middle of every high school stadium if American football was found to cause repetitive brain trauma and brain damage to children? Women's field hockey?

Oh and read the news, American football IS causing brain damage to American boys. As a parent and a citizen of this country, I find it unacceptable that we allow it to continue.

8. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that there are players out there that aren't being developed, a large portion can't get into the elite clubs, where the better coaches are so they stagnate and eventually just quit or go play another sport.

If we had academies (or something else?) in these areas we could spot some kids with potential that don't have access to the elite clubs and Develop them.

Are you telling me that out all the millions of kids that play soccer in South FL., there's not a ton of potential to develop some good players?

Soccer is very, very popular in South FLorida...

9. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they taught kids to tackle properly then football would be a lot safer sport. I think they'll go this route before banning the most popular sport in America...

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One item: College soccer teams don't give out many full scholarships. So its going to be difficult for college teams to attract many really poor kids.

11. boliviankidd622

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. cliche_guevara

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Have you guys noticed the German team lately? I know many of you were shitting on them before the WC started (it's generally standard operating procedure in the English speaking world), but I wanted to take this opportunity to point out that they're showing exactly why they'll be around as favorites for the next couple of tournaments, Euro or WC... and it's because of the shakeup in youth selection and style of play started by one Jürgen Klinsmann and continued by Löw, a handpicked Klinsmann disciple.

He might not be the right man for our job; hell, he might not even want the job (and who can blame him, when so many better candidates posting on internet message boards), but I think the man knows what he's talking about a little more than the freaking peanut gallery on BS. Especially when it comes to youth selection and style of play.

I'd rather be Germany than England, France, or Italy at this point. And I'd much rather be Germany than Houston Dynamo or Seattle Sounders, because our last 2 coaches have made the US carbon copies of their respective former MLS club teams, and if that follows pattern... MLS's record in international competitions speaks for itself.

13. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. That is why Altidore and Findley - who have very little in the way of soccer skills and soccer minds, play over Gomez and Buddle and others. Or why Bradley plays over Torres and Holden. The list goes on. First touch, vision and awareness to find the open man with that first touch are skills that do not seem to be rewarded. I don't want to see a team that overpasses or is overly patient (like I think happens to Spain) but we somehow feel we have to charge as directly as possible straight down the field too often - when passing to an open teammate would open up so many more possibilities.

Our other fault seems to be in our choice of defenders. We want them as big and tough as possible, like linemen or linebackers - NOT. We need skill and speed there too, of the Dolo or Ashley Cole or John Heitinga mold. Not saying some height or toughness is not a great attribute, but that doesn't make you a good defender.

14. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a guy that coached for years with traveling teams, to me the first step is NO state championships until u-16 or even older. Just high level training and tournament play. The focus at the most competitive level should simply be player development which is the case everywhere else in the world. Once a coach wants an U-12 State Cup his player selection will favor speed and power over skills and brains. At the end of it all, those technical players will be great athletes as they age and move up to more elite levels anyway. There is no need to worry about that at age U-8 to U-14. The key is develop them well and get them into a professional or near professional environment by 16. It would be interesting to hear John Spector or John O'Brien give their opinion on it.

15. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really enjoyed both Klinsmann and McManaman yesterday. Their analysis and banter, about the Germany/England game, about FIFA, and about the state of US soccer, was great.

McManaman has been really enjoyable throughout. However, up until yesterday, I thought Klinsmann looked really uncomfortable and nervous in front of the camera. He seemed so stiff, and his commentary often sputtered out.

But for some reason, Klinsi seemed to really relax yesterday, even before the results of the Germany thrashing of England. In the pre-game show Klinsmann already looked relaxed, and was just talking, smiling, and joking around a bit. And obviously, he has a lot to say about a lot of stuff, and really knows what he is talking about, and is not afraid to speak his mind.

16. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, Klinsy would start Torres and Feilhaber, and not play Altidore or Findley?

Sounds good.

17. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure as sh!t have. They really do have some great young talent now, thanks partially to Klinsmann's efforts to shake things up, and his hand picking Loew. Prior to Klinsmann, Germany youth development was on a downward spiral, with fewer and fewer great prospects coming through.

Now timeframe wise, these good young players were already there, developing, before Klinsmann to the German nats job. But it was Klinsmann that slapped the stodgy German FA in the face and created a structure where the young players could be discovered and given a chance. Prior, the German FA was far to conservative and risk adverse to give the youngin's a chance.

Now the Germans have true young stars like Oezil (21) and Muller (20), and others. Plus, Poldolski is still producing for the German Nats, thanks to Klinsi's and Loew's faith in him, and young guys in general.

18. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Ahhh. Someone who gets it.

Over the years, guys like Feilhaber, Torres and Adu have been treated like second class citizens, oddities who should be thankful they get any playing time at all.

19. RedBeardBlueRaider

RedBeardBlueRaider New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana doesn't have a world class professional league either. They seem to be doing alright.

20. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy is a work and progress and while its certainly fair to criticize his game, the suggestion that he has little in the way of soccer skills is absurd.

He has attacking instincts with the ball at his fit and is a very good dribbler, particularly for someone his size. His first touch, however, can occasionally fail him. His off the ball movement improved quite a bit this past year and his ability to play the 9 went from on a scale of 1-10 from about 0 to about maybe 5 during year one in the EPL.

21. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your own comments make my point. I agree he is a work in progress, is a good athlete and has attacking instincts. The rest of what he brings to the game are about where you say they are - on a scale of 0 to 10 - about a 5.

22. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to respond to the first post by saying I think we are doing very well as a country when this is now a paramount issue.

23. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess perhaps we understand the phrase "little in the way of soccer skills" a bit differently then. Little in the way of soccer skills would bring to mind a fast player who struggled more often than not to settle, control, dribble, pass or shoot the ball. Let alone have any sense as to where to be on the field. Jozy's main issues to me are primarily with fitness, consistency or work rate, hold up play.

24. usasupporter

usasupporter New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have seen the reports regarding brain damage with Football. Much is due to the changes in the game and ironically the improvements in protective equipment, specifically the helmet. The game could be made safer with changes to the rules, particularly at the high school level. But the game is a contact sport and injuries are always a possibility. Injuries happen in virtually every sport...lets ban them all so our children grow up in a bubble with no chance of injury or damage. I know a female soccer player that has blown out her ACL and severly damaged her wrist playing soccer. A young teenage girl scarred for life...lets ban soccer too. By the way she loves the game and plays with a brace on her knee and wrist. Her parents hold their breath at every game that she will not injure herself again. As a parent and a citizen of this country I find it unacceptable for you to tell the rest of us what sport we should participate in or not participate in. I suggest you just stay away, that is your choice.

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Funny thing you bring up ACL with that girl. A girl once told me that ACL damage is common in women because of their hips and having something to do with pivoting and how its more common for them to rip and tear their ACLs cause of their wide hips?? Anyone ever heard of that or if it even is true? I did notice girls tend to rip their ACLS alot easier then guys, and seems more common for girls.