Klinsmann Comments about State of US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Hoopscoach, Jun 27, 2010.

1. rusty weaponz

rusty weaponz New Member

May 27, 2010
    Re: Why Klinsmann is wrong about US Soccer

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Players from the Lower-Class is what makes up the best American players in every OTHER sport!

Football, Basketball, track & field, you name it

And that's what makes up why Brazil is good every freakin year regardless if they cycle in new players or not.

Look at the life stories of Ronaldo & Ronaldinho. It is amazing what they both went through to become soccer players and how it shaped their paths, and did it without school at all. Very similar to many NBA players' life stories, except much more extreme.

As far as American soccer is concerned,
    when the forces that be stop trying to keep soccer a sheltered, white, middle-class, clean-cut, all-american sport that families just enjoy on Saturday afternoon, and open it up as a full & wide open competitive sport like every other country does (and like our other leagues; NBA, NFL), we might evolve.

Klinsmann knows EXACTLY what he's talking about.

2. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I say we ban every other sport besides Soccer!!!!

Who's with me?

Buelller.....anyone?

3. gators35

gators35 New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

If you banned football in HS in Texas it would be civil war.

I do agree that making soccer a bigger part of HS sports would help alot.

4. gators35

gators35 New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

If you banned football in HS in Texas it would be civil war.

I do agree that making soccer a bigger part of HS sports would help alot.

5. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay

...high school...

travelling costs money, who's going to pay for it, who's going to pay for the coach that will make going across the country "his job, his life", the USSF? This country is too large for the USSF to subsidize every inner-city in the country. High school sports and local travel is FREE for its participants.

6. The Pup

The Pup New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Excellent thread. Really enjoying it. I saw JK talking about this as well and thought it was the best discussion they have had. Here are just my random thoughts, no real answers to the problems we face, but I just want to be part of this intelligent discussion.

Seems to me that young kids need role models, guys they see on TV that they consider to be heroes, so that they can study them and try to be just like them. The media must be the ones to create, for a lack of a better word, these heroes as is done in other countries... and done in this country in other sports.

JK has a point about inner city kids. All you really need is a ball. When I was a kid, my friends and I used two shirts balled up to represent the posts. No money is needed for equipment, just a ball. These two factors (no money for equipment needed and heros to aspire to be like) should engender the passion for the sport at all levels of society. Soccer, worldwide, is not a sport of the rich. It is a sport for all people. It is not exclusive to "physical freaks" like football and basketball. It is a sport for people of all types. Crouch is 6-9 and Messi is 5-5. It is not an exclusionary sport, monetarily nor physically. That is why this is the world's sport... everyone can play it.

In my humble opinion, it takes generations to engrain the sport into the culture, which is what is really needed. I think that is happening and has been happening for the past two decades. We are becoming more of a global society and Americans will soon drop the isolationism that demands we play only "our" sports. Soon, we will want to be the best at the world's chosen sport. And we will.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my thoughts.

7. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no such things as clubs. I wouldn't even call the AAU sides clubs. The inner-city kids don't pay for anything because they can't. They're either covered or don't do it.

Largely it's pickup ball/middle school/high school. If you're awesome, you'll be on a summer AAU team. Some AAU teams though are more setup to get a certain player noticed. Guy I work with had his son on a Raleigh-based AAU team. He got on the AAU team by playing really good in a pickup game against two guys on it and he wound up going to all the summer tournaments as a reserve (when he got old enough to get to college, he was borderline on making the roster of one of the worst teams in Division I, which one must realize is still a pretty high level compared to your common 18-year-old basketball player). The AAU team was funded by Carlos Boozer's dad and the "main star" of the team was Carlos Boozer's little brother. The reason Boozer's dad set it up was to get Carlos Boozer's little brother noticed by the college scouts, so naturally he got a lot of the ball. There are a lot of shady seedy AAU guys running these teams though.

8. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. gators35

gators35 New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe we need to increase across all levels. HS, College, Club and MLS academies. Love to see it expand at the HS and College level. The majority of larger universities in the South do not have college soccer.

10. American Arsenal

Jun 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While it is endangering to kids...it'll never, ever be banned.

Ever.

11. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's like banning college football from the NCAA

12. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You won't grow soccer by attacking other sports. BTW, there are many soccer fans, such as myself, who do like football.

13. interisti1908

interisti1908 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    biggest problem in usa soccer is fascination with english style of play.i bet in every mls youth program you have english or british coach and that will take americans nowhere.how many times does england has to fail miserably for americans to realize that epl is not the best and that best soccer style or players are not there.in america everybody wants to be like lampard gerrard roonie these guys are nowhere near best players in the world or will they ever be.so faster usa soccer get rid of this english bias it will be better for american soccer as a hole.

14. PeekingDuck

PeekingDuck Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Firstly, Klinsmann is absolutely spot on in his assessment. I know his opinions will upset many on here who believe our current team are all world class, when in fact, we don't even have one world class player, just three pretty good ones.

Secondly, we don't need him as manager, we need him as President of US Soccer.

15. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, because people on here believe everyone on the current team is world class. :rolleyes:

I remember you from the Slovenia thread though. That was amusing. I noticed you weren't posting anymore once the U.S. came back. Is your name Brian Goldych by chance? :D

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21110064#post21110064

16. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's ban college football so people will have no choice but to watch EPL matches on ESPN

17. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this ranks as the dumbest post I've ever read on BigSoccer.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree on the inner city kids that arent accounted for that would probably make GREAT soccer players.

The question is, how do we get it out to them?

19. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all MLS teams do have formidable youth system, High School and NCAA soccer should give others a second chance. I had an interesting conversation once with the Sounders left winger Steve Zakuani who used to be with the Arsenal youth system. He said that college soccer in America gave him a second chance to continue football his living.

20. Perth Glory

Perth Glory New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money talks. If the pyramid was flipped and was run like other countries, more inner city kids would eventually participate, especially if MLS clubs got involved and were able to pay players or families small amounts at an early age.

Klinnsman was not saying that the ONLY good players are from poorer socio-economic backgrounds, his point appears to be that pay-to-play soccer is cutting off a segment of society and talent pool. Imagine what the NFL would look like if it was ONLY comprised of middle to upper middle class players...sure, you would have great players like Tom Brady, Peton Manning, Jason Taylor but you wouldn't have Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Chris Johnson etc. For US Soccer to move forward, it has to be accessible to all socio-economic levels. Poorer individulas that want to play soccer, need to be afforded that opportunity. Top basketball players in the inner cities will get their AAU fees covered or they will receive a scholarship to a private high school that turns out top level basketball talent. These type of options do not appear as readily available for disadvantaged soccer players that can't afford to pay to play.

21. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Look, Klinsman is a nice guy, but it would be absolutely stupid to give him the job. He is a horrible coach, and his time at Bayern was as poor as it could possibly get.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if he brings Yogi Low with him,eh?

That's the guy we need.

23. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I am 100% in agreement with Jurgan.....

I was talking about this with a buddy at JD's after the ghana game...

USA sits on a gold mine of players but they are falling off the radar cause no one is scouting them... I think MLS should become apart of the scoutting at the very least in their own markets.... use those scouts to alert US SOCCER about these players the local MLS teams seem to scout... let MLS teams keep all the players they discover in thei4r own back yard let US Soccer take in those young talents to their training bunker in florida.....

its a start its not perfect...you cant have scouts in all 50 states.... but at least lets use the local MLS teams to keep an extra set of eyes on the local mls markets for the federation...

its a start................

24. Goldenballs

Goldenballs New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    West Los Angeles
    This is the best take on soccer in the US. I don't know what it is about coaches, but most soccer coaches do favor physical attributes more so than technical skills.

Plus, I hate it when I hear excuses from the talking heads that our best athletes do not play soccer. Although it is good to have good athletes, it is not a requirement. Soccer is and has always been a thinking man's game. The best players in the world, regardless of sport, are the most intelligent players. Just look at people like Messi for soccer and Steve Nash for basketball. They do not possess the best physical traits, but damn are they smart players and their statistics show their greatness.

Coaching across the board in the US needs an overhall to focus more on technical abilities. Knowing that overhalls like this does not happen over night, I think this is unfortunately the growing process of soccer in the US. The sport is really about 30-40 years old in the US. Other countries have been playing this game for over 100 years. We will eventually figure it out that it is not all about physical talen like other countries. It's just going to take some time and a lot of patience by fans.

25. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Haha, just like they always beat the US when we play?

If we're going to emulate another country's soccer program, it shouldn't be a country that we've already surpassed.