Klinsmann Comments about State of US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Hoopscoach, Jun 27, 2010.

1. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It wasn't power in the literal sense. Klinsmann wanted access to potential NT players for CONCACAF and Copa competitions and MLS refused. Another example of the backwards thinking nature of the MLS.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this irony??? It seems exactly the opposite to me. MLS asserted its own importance. Can you imagine the Prem allowing English players to leave during the season to go play internationals?

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Trick question? Doesnt international fixtures for england stop league play?

4. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, but the bigger driving issue is the timing of the MLS season to try avoid sports competition from American football and basketball.

The MLS doesn't follow all the international blackout dates that most other country's leagues do, but they are (mostly) accommodating... Copa is a example of where they were not accommodating...

Also, because the Copa is run/hosted by CONMEBOL, the European clubs don't have to release their US players either... They are only obligated to release players to play in internationals within the player's federation conference...

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of. ;)

6. usasupporter

usasupporter New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very interesting you bring up futsal. The club my son belongs to prohibits the players on their top level teams from participating in any indoor soccer programs, futsal or otherwise. Their theory is the exact opposite of yours. Indoor soccer (futsal specifically) ruins your touch. It does not seem to hurt the brazilians touch but these are supposed to be the experts.

7. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    The good thing about futsal is that it isolates the technical and tactical sides of the game from the physical, and it's good for kids because there is less running. :)

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My kid's club played a lot of futsal at U13/U14. Then U15 hit, the club became serious about winning, and all the little futsal whiz kids got stuck on the bench, sitting behind big older fellas that they would beat 10-3 in the training futsal matches.

Just saying, we can play more futsal, but our coaches are still of the English mindset, by and large.

9. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Bravo.

10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL shows what they know. Look at Holland. They have a INSANE futsal culture over there, and look at how good the skills develop of the players because of it.

Tell those guys to suck it, and put your kid in futsal. haha

11. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I'd rather link that to the widespread implementation of the Coerver ideas and so on, than to Futsal. Futsal may be relatively en vogue (but it isn't really important in the Netherlands), but it doesn't have anything to do with their soccer education tradition. They don't have any Futsal culture.

12. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: improving ones touch... futsal never made sense to me. The ball is heavier and almost dead like, everyone has a better first touch, trying to have a good first touch in indoor soccer always seemed more difficult to me. The ball is much more bouncy and harder to control.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Coerver? I heard about that growing up, but never looked into it. If you are talking about the full out attacking style that holland developed, where many times 2 defenders were left behind to defend, and all the rest were up passed half field? Then yea, alot of that stuff, ball movement, and the Cruyff style of play, which he brought to Barca too, is why the Dutch play like that!! The incorporation of street skills aka futsal into the REAL game. Cruyff in interviews i've seen basically says his way of playing the game at the street level, then moving up the ranks as a youth player is what made him what he is. Even though its 11v11, his WC teams when he was on the field, played like a 5v5 futsal team with their short quick passes, to feet, and smart play with 1-2 passes on the ground or air! It changed the game! Thanks to when Cruyff coached Barca, that too changed how they played and the spanish adopted it as their own!

Edit: NO FUTSAL CULTURE???? Are you serious??? They are always one of the best performers at futsal competitions, and tournaments not only for their showboating, but of their style, which ends up reflecting directly to players like Edgar Davids, Kluivert, Van Der Vaart, etc.

A Dutch poster, I think username Johan Neeskens(like the player) basically agreed that futsal has alot to do with the youth players that come up. Heck even Ajax know its a crucial part of development to the kids. Small sided, gmaes on the street which is basicalyl what futsal is!

Here is Jermaine Vannenburg, one of the best futsal players. Also the culture in Holland for futsal, is alot

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzWebVXHjA4"]YouTube- Jermaine Vanenburg Old Skill Movie[/ame]

Also hceck out ronaldinho, and the interviews he's done for nike or robinho. They both developed thanks to futsal, and playing it TONS to develop their close touch, confidence on the ball, trickery, and short passing of the ball. It sharpens your skills in close corners like you encounter inside the box, or when 2-3 defenders are hounding you.

Here's the guy that many kids in brasil look up, and guys like ronaldinho and robinho look at as a peer at the trickery, and style of the brasilian game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5E34XzxrAM"]YouTube- Falcao Futsal[/ame]

14. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I'm talking about technical basics. Trapping a ball, controlling a ball, passing a ball, easy moves, more complicated moves,... nothing to do with attacking tactics; nothing to do with Futsal. But much more important to the Dutch youth development than irrelevant Futsal.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my humble opinion, you are right and you are wrong. Indoor soccer is more difficult technically. On the other hand, the easier demands of the futsal ball permit faster play and enhanced tactics. Pass & move. When I see Brazil on those lightning attacks, I do think of futsal.

I think both versions of the indoor game have their merits.

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I really doubt coaches in brasil go and dig in and read about the 'coerver' methods.

Like i said above, there are many great skills learned in indoor, like triangulation, with 3 men moving the ball down the field crossing in, out, as a triangle 1 touching it down the field. Its in south america known as.... well triangulation. That is taught in small spaces, I was taught to pass the ball with players like this repetively to get my touch strong and confident in small spaces, and playing futsal helped even more, as I got to use that touch and close range control in games through futsal.

To say futsal is useless is utterly wrong! LOL Its one of the biggest tools countrys like holland, spain, brasil, portugal, all use to make their players better and more confident with the ball, and learn better to pass in small spaces. Not some books or coaching methods! Its built in their culture, into futsal/street soccer! Heck look at Riquleme, and many of the touches he does on the ball, he controls it like a futsal player. Stud control, rolls it with the studs, many trikcs are simple but are 'futsal' tricks/street ball tricks where its nutmegs and rolling fo the ball to either foot, quick.

Many great players learn many things as children, and sharpen their small sided skills/dribbling playing futsal. Ask Ronaldinho or Robinho, Zidane, Ronaldo, etc.

Zidane tearing up amateurs at futsal:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNesv8Paru0"]YouTube- zidane futsal[/ame]

17. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nobody talked about Brazil and Coerver. But you talked crap about Futsal being important in the Netherlands; this was corrected. That's it. Just bear it, and don't start useless diversions. Just don't start to give talks about things you have no idea of, please.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just told you why futsal is useful! You dont think guys like Van der vaart, or Sneijder, Kluivert, or Edgar Davids developed and play the way they play thanks to futsal?

What is your point? You basically tried to say Holland doesnt use futsal to develop players, or futsal doesnt have anything to do with how these players attack or how their attacking style attributes to the national team? I say other wise.

Heck look at Brasil like i said, or spain, they have a great futsal culture, and futsal league. Or you can look at individual players and how that attributes to their styles, which many will list as some of the worlds best, Riquelme, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho, and in my opinion, Juan Pablo Sorin.

Also let me add, this isnt a diversion, this is to show how important futsal is to an overall player, and something that is alcking in this country as far as futsal playing goes. It develops great ball skills, passing, and close control in close perimeters.

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Yes, I do. Because I know that Futsal is of no importance at all in the Netherlands. I'd bet that many Dutch pros never heard of the existence of Futsal.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    WOW...... lol, shouldnt sarcasm be written in like pink or something? Isnt that the internet rule? Or does that not apply in germany. :p

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  23. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    It isn't sarcasm. They really don't play Futsal in the Netherlands, it isn't any important factor in their youth development. Similar with this "Ungerman" German team; most of them won't know that Futsal exists, and I doubt Mesut Özil ever played it.

24. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Doesn't matter if they play futsal or not, in pretty much every country where they make technically good players they play small sided games, and in every country boys play on the streets. Futsal is just that in an organized setting. The same tricks you see in futsal you'll see in street fotball.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thank you!!!! Thats basically what i was getting at. Street soccer is futsal, and small sided games, you develop those skills in small areas which in turn make you more confident in the area with people around you, and passing becomes sharper.