klinsmann calls Nowotny to fitness test

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Psychosis hsv, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No one denies that. Just as I'm entitled to my opinion of your analysis and vice versa.........

I'm sure you don't give a s#it about mine and I feel the exact same way. I'll happily discuss this with TOLH, but as far as I'm concerned, you and I have nothing more to say to each other.

2. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I thought you have rec'd my message for the same regard a while ago!

3. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Kuranyi was in pretty good form the previous two seasons, but this season has been bad. And yes, the best way to go is to bring the players in the best current form, since it is one tournament. Occasionally managers have given faith in players who had strong past history but were in bad current form, and it worked out - that player sometimes rises to the WC occasion. But usually, players in poor form at the moment carry that poor form into the WC. The opposite is true, players in good current form usually continue that in the WC. It's just the way things work natually.

Thus, Klose is the obvious choice at one striker postion, and as for the second position, it looks like Poldolski (who's recent form has had an upswing), Nueville (ditto), or Hanke (who has tons of ability and usually shows it). Kuranyi is fourth in this pecking order, based on current form.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That order looks about right. I've never felt too good about Kuranyi...he looks like a deer caught in the spotlight most of the time, while Hanke who is more inexperienced has that killer instinct that seems to do it nowadays on the NT and European level.

Who knows, Klinsman may just go with Kiessling...heck......Kirsten will come out retirement and be called up.....

5. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kiessling practically looks like Klinsmann's younger brother. He even has the same spring in his step Klinsi did at the height of his playing days.

Kiessling probably isn't ready yet, but let's hope he blossoms in the future.

6. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I´m glad that Jens managed the fitness test!.

7. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i second that. where have you been? i will take huth over him anytime, i agree every word about that even fullstop

8. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    You seem to forget that Hanke is out the first 2 games of the tournament. I'm not sure if we can handicap this team for 2 games with just 1 striker on the bench. And Hanke is NOT better than Kuranyi, as many of you think he is. Now, Kiessling, maybe, but Hanke has been on a pretty wretched patch of form lately.

9. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    available and good striker are klose, podolski and neuville. the 4th and final choice should be, i dont know , may be only 3 strikers are good. they can always count on ballack from mid

10. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Podolski has been completely out of form for at least 3/4 of the season. He was literally dumped out of the match long before the end of the first half against USA. Thank goodness he has picked up his form in the last few matches. Hanke and Neuville have not been consistent either. Kiessling is not up to the tasks yet. So Kuranyi still has a good shot. Let's see how Schalke is doing in Spain today.

The current situation of reliance of a single person Ballack is very risky, and more so when Deisler is injured and Piggy is not in good form lately. There is literally no back up. And the injuries of Deisler has made the midfield department almost vacuum. Lets hope Borowski and Schneider maintain their forms and free from injuries.

Woerns had been given his chance against Slovakia. He played poorly and Germany lost 2-0 in the first half. He was not seen in action in the second half and the team managed to keep a clean sheet. You may argue that one match cannot prove all but he has given his chances, and only Klinsi will know if Woerns will be given a spot again.

Also, as I have indicated in my above stat, Leverkusen has substantially improved its performance after Nowotny returned home. And his performance stats by what I see a reliable evaluator - Kicker which gave him a good performance evaluation in the 9 matches he played thus far and his score is impressive. Why should Nowotny be deprived of a chance for the trial? Why it is such a bad idea to let Nowotny take the fitness test as someone perceived?

Everyone knows and wants a player to bring into the world cup tourne a consistent good form established in the league. But look at the team, who in the 'regular' starters has a relative consistent good form now apart from the following?

Ballack
    Lehmann
    Klose
    Lahm
    Frings (b4 injury)
    Borowski
    Kehl
    Schneider

So at least half of the roster is on the border line. So why should Kuranyi be derprived of a chance while there is still the last mile to go b4 the start of the tourne?

What is the deadline for submission of the roster? Anyone knows?

11. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It will be extremely risky to rely on Ballack as the 4th striker. This is even more so after Deisler is injured. Ballack will have his hands and feet full. What happens if he is injured or fouled out? So a 4th striker who is at least equalled to Kuranyi's in-form caliber is a must.

12. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Klinsmann will nominate the 23 WC players at May, 14th.

13. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thanks E. Eilts.

14. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    may be the mid should be beefed up and include more attack mindeed mids like Freier. kuranyi keeps on falling and has no balance. if they must take the 4th striker, then let Thurk be included although i think asomoah will be the 4th no matter how much we all hate him

15. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree 100% with your evaluation of Strikers. Klose-Podolski-Neuville-& Hanke. Perhaps Kiessling should get a consideration too.:)

16. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    are we done discussing Nowotny?

17. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club: