Klinsmann at Hertha Berlin

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keller4president, Dec 23, 2019.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I literally laughed out loud!!!

The credit will be somewhere between what he thinks (over 200%) and what his haters think (less than 0%).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution

If Hertha does escape relegation, Klinsmann will absolutely claim 100% of the credit in his next job interview.

Honestly, why do people fall for this narcissistic clown of a fraud coach? He's a bully who plays favorites, lacks tactical nous, and cannot stand to be criticized. It's NEVER his fault.

His M.O. is always the same- just like the consultant brought in to change things at a company that is struggling. He says everything and everyone is screwed up, that only he knows the way out, and demands absolute loyalty while creating divisions. It's just a question of time before key employees realize he doesn't have a clue about fixing things, the board tires of his petulant behavior, and shows him the door. IMO, he did Hertha a favor by quitting.

keller4president and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So basically the main reason for quitting (he intended to do it already weeks ago) was that too many people at the club tried to stick their oar in(?) and they could not find an agreement on "who is in charge of what".

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After flopping with Bayern, Klinsmann literally worked as a "soccer consultant" with the US-based company Soccer Solutions (too bad the fly-by-night website is no longer available). They worked with the LA Galaxy and Toronto FC at different times. Jurgen did the most viable thing he could to earn a wage at the time, which was trade on his legacy as a legendary player and one of the key figures of the German revamp. But at this point, 15 years after WC06, Klinsmann has very few professional accomplishments that prove that he's either a good "big idea guy" or coach. Even those who'd say his USMNT tenure was good would have to admit that opinion is widely contested.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's weird to me is that this board continues to follow the professional exploits of a person that no longer has any connection to US Soccer, while ignoring actual American coaches involved with American soccer. Like, say, Bob Bradley, who just had a historic season and won coach of the year. Or, say, Landon Donovan earning his first win as a coach, leading his USL side SD Loyal (where he is also EVP of soccer operations) to a preseason victory over FC Dallas.

So one of the best USMNT coaches of all-time's historic season and the all-time best US men's player basically starting his own club from the ground up is secondary news to the chance to deep-throat Klinsmann, who managed to get employed in the field of soccer for 2 months.

7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are mistaken. I follow them closely. With klinnsmann i am his biggest schadenfreude fan boy.

He disgraced us soccer and fooled a generation of players.

bigredfutbol and keller4president repped this.
  8. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is very good entertainment watching you guys' comment. NICE! The curse will continue. See you guys at 2026 if the world didn't end by then.

9. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What curse? It was an excorsism.

tomásbernal repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    tomásbernal repped this.
  11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    JK did a quality job as coach of the US from '11 to '16. Took Belgium to overtime. Made semis of the Copa America Centenario. Lost the plot afterwards, though. Also doesn't appear to have the mentality to be a successful club-level coach.

He gave then college player, Jordan Morris, a first cap. He resurrected Bobby Wood. He brought in Julian Green, who went on to score a World Cup goal. He excelled at recruiting dual nationals. imo, he would be a good fit as someone associated with a super-agent.

striker, LouisianaViking07/09 and nobody repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you’ve been here long enough to know that having a measured approach to most things on BS is to be avoided. On this particular topic, it is mandatory to not be able to see two sides and it is expressly forbidden to point out countervailing data.

I still can’t believe how he quit though - it’s like a teenager breaking up with someone by Facebook (which I don’t have so maybe I’m wrong even in that)

striker and IndividualEleven repped this.
  15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just dont.

He is now persona non grata in germany as well as usa (and for the entire world, for that mater). No one will or can ever hire him again.

Only reason hertha hired him is because of their world leading managerial incompetence.

appwrangler and russ repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pretty ridiculous---or 'redonkulous', as the kids would say---for someone his age.

DHC1 repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Just don't what?

DHC1 repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    provide countervailing data and opinions....You're not even saying that he's a good coach but you're getting slagged!

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do not feed the MAGA KLINSMANN HATS.

20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we could debate the merits of each of these, but it might be easier to ask a simple question: with the benefit of hindsight, would you go back to 2011 and hire him again?

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If you know what you are writing about then hindsight is not needed. This is what I posted in 2011--

striker and MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is all that. And less of a coach.

But he was good for the USMNT for that one cycle. He was the acid flush that cleansed for a short period and let soccer players play soccer.

He stayed far too long.

23. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corrected for historical accuracy.

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The most frustrating ramification of Klinsmann is that his failure led to a backlash against the idea of a non-American or non-MLS manager for the national team.

An American manager is fine, but non-American managers shouldn't be excluded from the national team picture just because Klinsmann is a moron.

tomásbernal and russ repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    For me, the most frustrating ramification of Klinsmann's tenure is he greatly engendered the divisiveness that still exists around the program.

tomásbernal repped this.