Klinsmann at Hertha Berlin

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keller4president, Dec 23, 2019.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Anyone else shocked that Jurgen got hired at Hertha Berlin? And even more shocking - he's won two, and drawn two of his first five matches? I suspect he's just better at communicating and relating (culturally) to German players than Americans. Maybe that's why he got the best out of Jermaine Jones.

Now comes word that Hertha is after Konrad De La Fuenta, a young American prospect at Barcelona. It will be interesting to see if Jurgen releases him for YNT matches or senior fixtures (when the time comes).

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/12/reports-de-la-fuente-considering-move-to-klinsmanns-hertha-berlin

If he does well, I wonder if he'll get another chance at international football - perhaps for a country like Denmark, Switzerland, or Poland.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Girt

Girt Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I'm not shocked, he won a World Cup?

He obviously knows what he's doing. Something happened in the USMNT dressing room during his tenure and maybe he was part of the problem for sure. I wish some insider would leak the info so the public could have a little more clarity.

It's possible he learned from his experience with USA and Bayern and it made him a better coach.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He just fill in at the moment until they find the right coach.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth fixtures will be interesting. I guess it will be about whether he’s in the first team or not. As for potential senior ones, only the USSF seems scared to call their players in from Europe during fifa dates. If it’s a fifa window, it doesn’t matter how they feel. We can call them in. Hell I remember JK calling in injured players to have our staff check them out before calling in his alternative.

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    And you get this idea from who again? Hell he even pushed Michael Bradley back into relevancy when Michael was falling part in Europe in 2011.

Bobby Wood, Joe Gyau, Geoff Cameron, just to name a few could not stop talking about how much of an inspiration he was to them.

I was one of the first to celebrate him being fired, but then the facts later came out that the cancer known as Jay Berhalter was causing massive internal chaos and screwing Klinsmann over.

Oh hey look who the current coach is, no surprise there...…...

juveeer, Statman, gunnerfan7 and 2 others repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Bayern Munich players panned JK and his methods. Perhaps JK has simply learned from his failures.

jnielsen, TOAzer, russ and 2 others repped this.
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF soccer is run by rank amateurs who have no idea what they're doing.

juveeer and Statman repped this.
  8. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it illegal to build an organization that competes with a “non-profit” organization for the sole purpose of bringing in results? Asking for a scientist.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am a scientist but I don't know what we in particular add to this. Sure, you can compete! I work/am faculty at a (non-profit) cancer center and lots of other (non-profit) centers are founded and compete with us for patients, research money, faculty, etc.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Almost all new coaches get better results; especiallly with teams underperforming their talent.

Having said all that, why not step on the landmine...

You could look at JK with the USMNT as someone who was super successful. Then did something to motivate his team short term that pissed off important American Soccer (and many unimportant) people long term. He had already been pissing off important people who make a lot of money from the status quo. He then failed to get results, thanks to the Lost Generation, that gave those people the excuse to get rid of him.

The evidence is that basicallly, three managers since haven't really done any better or had the team play any better. Oh, and people still hate him. Case in point, the OP, where the poster is astonished he got 8 points managing a team in the Bundesliga.

juveeer repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick, no one in their right mind steps willingly on a landmine. Why? Because you tend to disintegrate into a cloud of flesh.

For example, what you claim he did "to motivate his team short term" did nothing of the sort. It materially, with malice aforethought [malice against a player he had a personal vendetta against], weakened the team.... and it motivated many of his players to despise him. Who he "pissed off" was anyone that actually cared about us going full blast to go deep in the Brasil WC, and his allies were exactly those who believed it was ok to "manage the expectations" in the name of a mythical story of success in 2018. It was grandiose stupidity of Jurgenesque magnitude.
    Now, I hope JK has gained perspective, garnered some wisdom, acquired some humility. And if he has, and it makes him a successful Bundesliga manager, then kudos to him.
    But 2014 was an abomination, and it may well have been he blew sky high our one good chance to make a significant impact at the highest level for a generation of players.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I disagree. Cutting a formerly great player to motivate the players left behind is a common occurrence in the NFL (less so with the salary cap) and Belichek has done it and learned it from Parcells. Klinsmann did it with the German NT when he did it with Oliver Kahn in 2006 (although Kahn, being a GK, only had to be benched). If you think Donovan was a big cut here, replacing Kahn in 2006 was seismic.

I've never heard anything that the team was in disarray because of it. Media and US Soccer types like Garber were upset, but not Dempsey or Bradley or Jones. They got out of a group that included Ghana (who always beat us), the 2016 Euro Champions and the 2014 World Champions.

Whether he learned something or not, pretending he is incapable of managing at all is strange. Or that nobody would think of him in a positive light in Germany or anywhere. I doubt anyone in Germany thinks twice about Donovan being cut. It is almost cultic how it is such a topic around here still.

13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [1] A couple of problems with this. You are comparing the management of the world cup team to a freaking roster move on an NFL side? What JK did was the equivalent of Belichik cutting Tom Brady before the playoffs started back in 2018. Also, as with Tom Brady in 2018, Landon was still a great player in 2014. Every report from that camp, from the players, is that Donovan was tearing it up on the field, as well as being among the three highest scorers on the fitness tests [in case you think it was a "fat old bastard" issue]. He was also the one who the previous year had led, by his play and his command of the field, the US to the Gold Cup and through the best string of results Jurgen was ever going to have as USMNT manager. What Jurgen did was objectively insane, if the ambitions of the team was to be the point, and it is startling that he simply valued his ego over the team's success
    [2] You were not remotely paying attention then. Or simply refusing to see or hear what you did not wish to see or hear. There were immediately reports of shock from the players in camp, and it might be worthwhile for you to pay some attention to what Tim Howard has had to say since he no longer needed to curb his tongue to maintain cordiality with JK. .....As for the actual play at the WC you are apparently choosing to forget that a Landon Donovan always simply made our team better, more cohesive, and would have been a genuine asset to us before the unrelenting assaults of Germany and Belgium [in this case, WC record breaking assaults].
    Brasil was a golden chance, one we may not see again in a very long time, to make a serious and deep run to the Cup. Yet there we were in the end, reduced to thanking Tim Howard for allowing us to leave with some semblance of dignity.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    2010 was the best team and chance of a deep run.

There is an entire thread for people to rant about this decision by Klinsi. Really isn't important though.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the 2014 squad was better (and would have been even stronger without the Donovan exclusion).

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Even if I disagree, you have to admit Ghana and Uruguay were an easier path than Belgium and Argentina...

17. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Wow, that's a terrible analogy. Kahn was replaced by one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Donovan's omission made room for a 32 year old Brad Davis.

The only thing I can think of that's comparable to the Donovan exclusion - in any World Cup in memory - is Roy Keane being dropped by Ireland in 2002 (and no, I'm not arguing that Donovan was as good a player as Keane).

18. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Anyway, it's pretty clear from his national team and club record that Klinsmann is a perfectly competent coach when he has the right set of players on the field, and I wouldn't be surprised if he succeeded in any particular situation (wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he failed, either - good coaches sometimes do).

At the US specifically, he had plenty of good performances - but, (contrary to some hopes), he wasn't some kind of savior who could be expected to get results well beyond the USA's talent level. Just like Arena, he struggled when the USA's dry spell generation reached prime age. I don't think that losing to Guatemala, drawing Trinidad, and dropping the hex opener to Mexico at home were just a strategy to motivate the team later on.

The other problem was his obvious disdain for US soccer in general, which (in addition to being kind of annoying), probably made him more likely to make some odd roster decisions, in order to prove he knew better than anyone else.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A perfectly competent coach without a valid license. Could be his co will have to step in next weekend vs Bayern

[​IMG]

20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

He just need to go through a refresher course and all is well again.

Another case for the media making a meal out of nothing.

21. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I've always found it a bit comical with all the licenses and such anyway. An experienced player and coach who has been at the highest levels suddenly isn't qualified anymore because he failed to go to a refresher course with who exactly? And why is it that Herta can't pick their coach and decide who is qualified? It's not like we're talking healthcare where an unlicensed physicians can kill someone. Is it really going to create major distress for anyone but the fan base if an unlicensed coach makes a bad substitution?

Maybe I'm missing something. What is so important for coaches to need these pieces of paper beyond printing money for the federations?

juveeer and keller4president repped this.
  22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal gaping with mere seconds to go in a tie game in the World Cup....ball on foot....

You get to choose:

Landon Donovan or Wondolowski

IMO...I'd take the US's all time best player everyday that ends in Y.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think Zlatan wanted to play in the last World Cup and Sweden said no thanks.

or Harkes was kicked off the team as he was "wasn't on the same page" as other players. Note, I'm not saying that Landon did anything like that but if a coach views a player as disruptive to what he's trying to accomplish, there's precedent for removing a talented player.

LouisianaViking07/09 and striker repped this.
  24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Zlatan's case he'd retired from international football, and was also not part of Sweden's World Cup qualification. Could he have helped them? Yeah, most likely, then again they'd have had to change how they play to suit Zlatan. In this casde it's understandable why the Swedish coach declined Zlatan's services.

Harkes....as far as we know Landon didn't sleep with another USMNT member's wife.......even with sending Harkes home, that team was DOA (before arrival?) at France '98.

I mean...who would you rather have:

Brad Davis
    Chris Wondolowski
    or
    Landon Donovan?

Also, considering the USMNT's already thin goal scorer pool, AJ being out injured, and Jozy's penchant for picking up injuries at the worst possible times.......emitting Landon then was a stupid decision, questionable at best, and it's even stupider in hindsight.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I've always said that I'd have brought Landon and the likely reason he was excluded is that he was disruptive to what the coach wanted to do as his exclusion clearly wasn't because others were better. This is why I mentioned Harkes as disruptive (and specifically said Landon didn't do anything like sleep with someone's partner....) The team was built around Dempsey and Bradley and perhaps there was a sense that Landon wouldn't take to a secondary role where he was meant to STFU and just play when called. I wish he was in Brazil for us but we did far better than I expected.

juveeer, truefan420 and jaykoz3 repped this.