Alert: Klinsmann announces roster for May/June camp on Thursday (announcement included in this thread)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, May 14, 2013.

1. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No it doesnt. We havent had donovan at all for the past 2 years save a few games here and there .

3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen has already said he is excited to have Donovan back and in the mix this summer.

Why is he so HATEFUL about Landon. GOD!

4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that you don't understand.

Berks repped this.
  5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dont understand that Jurgen likes Landon and is excited to see him back with the USMNT this summer? I think I just said it.

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Why wouldn't he dress 23 players on 6/11?

Does he honestly believe the roster as is has everything fully/sufficiently covered?

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

everytime the fans wring their hands about this kind of thing...what happens?

we cant play alan gordon and eddie johnson!!! WTH! WIN!

My god matt besler and a bunch of mls kids against mexico in azteca...dear lord we are oging to lose 5-0...nope 1-0 win.

can we just watch and wait and see till we decide to go off the cliff like lemmings.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Didn't really (or at all) address the questions that were raised and quoted.

Not saying the US can't or won't get 6 more points on June 11 & 18, but just wondering about the manager's apparent decision to not call in anyone else and go with a "short" bench (knowing 23 is a "too big" number anyway, but it is allowed by FIFA).

Does this have to do with not calling guys to both the June WCQs and to (all of) the Gold Cup?

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because the coaches feel they have enough to cover. To me it speaks to the players to say...you guys were called up and you are good enough.

We shall see how it works. It very well may totally blow up in his face (cut to zoid, gvpats and berks praying like so hard for this to happen)

It wouldnt surprise me at all.

Its going to be a bumpy ride.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Home WCQs in June (when apparently the US won't even opt to go with a full bench after some injuries/suspensions) seem like an ideal time to have Donovan (and/or any in form and fit players who have played in these types of games previously) "here and there" now.

Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is factually incorrect, and when someone writes stuff like this, I will set the record straight. Donovan was top 10 in minutes played in 2011 and top 15 in minutes played in 2012, out of over 40 players capped each year.

Donovan has been absent for about 10 months, since August of 2012. Prior to that he still was a core player for the USA.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    If the ride is going to be bumpy anyway, why drive part of the course with a flat tire, when the manager has time to get out and put on (or find and put in the trunk) a perfectly good spare?

It looks as if Klinsmann intentionally took the spare(s) out of the trunk and left them at home for this June 2013 portion of the journey.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Landon played in 3 of Jurgens first 7 games. the first 3. August and September.
    In 2012 Landon played 6 of the 14 games and the majority of those games were in the may june area.

So out of 21 games Landon played in 9. And now out of 28 games landon played in 9.

And by the gold cup landon will have played in less than a third of Jurgens matches.

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why is the tire flat? How do we know till we see the game?

15. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He has spares.

He left those old reliable tires at home, which used to be fine, but then decided to take a break for 4 months, and now aren't quite worn in again... wait a sec... WTF kind of metaphor is this? :confused:

Edit: P.S. BTW isn't one of those tires (Zusi) going to magically reinflate for the Honduras match? He's only out for 1 match, right?

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My god you are right. its like he called some players and instead of undermining them and saying eh you arent good enough he is saying. Im going to trust you to perform. show me.

if they dont then jurgen will get ripped to no end.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The roster (the big group that was originally called) has been affected/reduced by injuries and suspensions and with other players either released for vacation and/or not currently fit/ready.

If JK opts to proceed with less than a full bench in either of the next two WCQs, that just seems like an unwise and unnecessary approach to managing/navigating the Hex.

I am surprised that JK honestly thinks the roster has everything covered at this point. He added (or tried to add) guys in to the roster ahead of the BEL/GER friendlies as needed, and I do not see why he is not taking a similar approach ahead of the PAN/HON WCQs.

Berks, StillKickin and deuteronomy repped this.
  18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you can only have 18 on gameday right? we have more than that.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, Zusi will be back on 6/18. Still doesn't clarify why facing PAN with (perhaps) a short bench is the right/best approach for that game. (Did US Soccer not submit a bigger preliminary roster for the June WCQs, and are not there some other players that could/should be added to the Matchday 5 game day roster given the injuries/suspension that happened on Matchday 4?)

Berks repped this.
  20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we will have a full bench.

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    23 are now allowed.

22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

oh well jeez we dont need 23. good god thats just ridiculous. they should go back to 18.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The US coach doesn't seem as sure of that as you do.

24. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 players were originally called in for the current set of World Cup qualifiers including 5 goalkeepers (3 of which rotated in and out of practices), 8 defenders, 12 midfielders (Brad Evans was a late edition), and 5 forwards. There are currently 21 players available for the Panama match (players are listed by USSF positions):

GOALKEEPERS (3)
    Guzan, Brad
    Hall, Tally
    Howards, Tim

DEFENDERS (8)
    Beasley, DaMarcus
    Besler, Matt
    Cameron, Geoff
    Castillo, Edgar
    Gonzalez, Omar
    Goodson, Clarence
    Johnson, Fabian
    Parkhurst, Michael

MIDFIELDERS (6)
    Bradley, Michael
    Corona, Joe
    Davis, Brad
    Evans, Brad
    Holden, Stuart
    Kljestan, Sacha

FORWARDS (4)
    Altidore, Jozy
    Boyd, Terrence
    Dempsey, Clint
    Johnson, Eddie

tab5g repped this.
  25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Sure. But while FIFA currently allows 23, I do not see much point or logic in a coach not filling up those game day spots, even if at least 9 of them will not get on the field.