Alert: Klinsmann announces roster for May/June camp on Thursday (announcement included in this thread)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, May 14, 2013.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fan of Castillo. I'd rather Fabian back there. Unless we switch to a 3 backline which I'd love to tryout in a friendly.

Chandler won't back up dolo he will most likely start over him.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are talking Concacaf quality (for the qualifiers) Torres could do well there (unless we plan on bunkering).

:thumbsup: The U-20 needs him.

Until they have 1 bad game and then the sky will be falling all over Big Soccer.

Did you she the qualifiers, the U-20 needs him, unless he will start in the Gold Cup, I say cap him and then send him with the U20.

SJB repped this.
  3. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    tab5g repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What up with the leaks, the justice department need to get on this right after they are done with the AP press. :p

5. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid is a huge surprise. He's continued his inconsistency and been benched with DCU because of it. There's no way he deserves a spot over any of Howard, Guzan, and Rimando and if he is 4th GK, then i'd have to just question why. I dont ever see a point in naming 4 GK's first of all and second of all, Steve Clark, Clint Irwin, and arguably Sean Johnson should all be ahead of him in the depth chart, for the time being..

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be incredibly awesome. We need a "win" back there.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You mean the backup goalkeeper for the worst team in the league. I guess form has nothing to do with who gets called up.

8. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I don't think Hamid has been that horrible, but I haven't watched enough dcu games this year. DC has been quite terrible all around though. I liken it to Dan Kennedy at Chivas.

Again, please no need to pretend the world is black and white and situations can't be independently evaluated.

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have watched all the DC United games and he and the whole team has looked poor. His play with DC United has been evaluated and deemed poor enough to be benched. We act like the playing decisions of club coaches mean nothing. I agree that the world doesn't need to be black and white, just pointing out that his play has been evaluated and not good enough right now for club play but potentially good enough for International play. If the call up is only 3 goalkeepers I contend there are 3 playing better than he is with Guzan and Howard no brainers. Present form is important and a International coach that can quickly make those decisions rather than not caring how players are playing the past few games.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could mean that Nick Rimando is going to the Gold Cup (which I expected), and thus the 3rd GK spot is going to a young gun. Though why Hamid is going over Sean Johnson I don't understand unless Sean Johnson is the backup to Rimando at the Gold Cup.

GK for qualifiers:
    Howard
    Guzan
    Hamid

GK for Gold Cup:
    Guzan
    Rimando
    Johnson

Could that be it?

If this is a 4th GK spot it's boneheaded.

EDIT: Also means sorry Tally Hall and Dan Kennedy.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Makes sense, I can see where you're coming from.

I like Ives take on it:
    Why Bill Hamid? He got off to an outstanding start to the season but has had his shaky moments since then. The same can be said for Sean Johnson. Nick Rimando is probably having the best season of the group, but with the third goalkeeper unlikely to see the field, Klinsmann can call up a player who could probably use the confidence boost.

SUDano repped this.
  12. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    This makes sense to me. Rather see Rimando get some time than not make game day roster.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Maybe Olsen went with Willis last game to get him some minutes without having to "make the change" for his team because of a NT call-up (that Olsen very likely could have been early informed by US Soccer was likely to come in late May). A one-game rest for Hamid in no way means he is now the #2 keeper at United.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid has great reflexes, everything else is sub-par. I don't understand the hype. Are we hoping that because he's 22 he'll eventually get better?

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would make some people mad, and Ives as much as I don't like him usually is mostly correct with roster predictions.

I'm going to stay away from bashing other players due to the Landon situation as I don't think it's fair to them and I like most of our players. It's not their fault Landon isn't being called. But......Landon obviously is better than a number on this list.

I think part of this if I may hypothesize, is that even though some fans say a few guys should play in the GC instead, there's the scenario that spending the full pre season with their clubs in Europe might be better, so JK instead will bring them in now whether or not they actually play.

PROJECTED MAY USMNT CAMP ROSTER
    GOALKEEPER- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Bill Hamid
    DEFENDER- Steve Cherundolo, Tim Chandler, Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, Matt Besler, Fabian Johnson, DaMarcus Beasley, Edgar Castillo
    MIDFIELDER- Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Maurice Edu, Jose Torres, Brek Shea, Sacha Kljestan, Joe Corona, Stuart Holden, Alfredo Morales
    FORWARD- Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Terrence Boyd, Eddie Johnson

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek Shea should in no way be in this roster. Dude has not seen game time due to injury in forever and is still making his way back after being kinda miserable for a good chunk of last year.

If form is the reason you get called into the national team, Brek Shea flies in the face of that.

I believe Brek should be involved, we need wingers, but he literally hasn't seen game time in AGES.

This isn't about LD - taking him out of the picture, I'd rather have Bedoya than Shea out wide because he's not nursing a foot and is playing.

And that roster is still miserably short on wingers.

Also, isn't Chandler injured?

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is, all reports out of Stoke are that Shea is healthy and is getting up to speed. So I wouldn't be surprised if JK used the roughly two weeks of training and two friendlies to see if he can regain some form and possibly contribute. Doesn't hurt to take a look.

But of course, when a guy like Landon doesn't get the same benefit it doesn't look good. So I'd disagree with you on Shea still nursing his foot, which isn't true.

Really, given the size of the camp, all of Landon, Zusi, Shea, Gatt, Corona and Bedoya should be looked at, especially since Landon, Bedoya, Corona and Zusi can swing to multiple positions.

18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info, didn't realize he was on the road to recovery, thought I read recently that Pulis said he still wasn't ready.

Shea is not match fit then, which means he could only be used as a sub. Which leaves us short of starting wingers all over again. Would still rather have Bedoya over Shea, but since he's seen 0 time under JK, doubt that happens.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Is positional sense is getting better, his hands are not bad, and his sheer athleticism is superb. 22 is very young for a keeper, along the same lines as about 19 for an attacking player. He doesn't need to be the full package yet to justify a little favoritism.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes. A young GK with great reflexes and athleticism and size can (ideally) be coached into a very good to great GK for the long term.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough. We're nowhere near deep enough on the wings where someone can say a healthy, EPL winger should in no way be called in, despite the lack of playing time(which could also be a Stoke/TP issue as much as anything) and that he wasn't playing good or much with FCD last year, then came on in Azteca and basically won the game for us probably makes it a consideration in JK's mind. Same goes for calling someone like Gatt, I just don't think we're deep enough to say he shouldn't be called in. EJ isn't a winger and is playing terribly. Davis just looks old. Pontius is also playing terribly. Corona deserves a shot. Bedoya imo isn't good out wide but should be called as a central option.

The problem is because of the complete lack of depth out wide Landon should obviously also be called in. But calling in a Shea or Gatt to take a look is a different discussion than Landon being called in, there's room for all.

I'd also guess despite what some think Shea will not be here for the GC and spending the pres season with Stoke will be important, with possibly a new coach, and they'll play in Texas so JK can scout him and Cam. So if he were called in it might just be to take a look since he won't be here for the GC. This is all just speculation though based on Ives' speculation.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Pontius is not yet back from injury. But yes, earlier this season when he was playing and "healthy" he was not playing well (like basically all of his club teammates).

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hear ya. I'd prefer wingers that are actually playing remotely well. Could make an argument for others over Shea is all I'm saying...we're in a little of the same place...

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontius is always injured or coming off an injury. It's very disappointing.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Why take an important starting keeper away from his MLS team to be a 3rd string keeper at a camp/friendly...........................?

I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

SJB repped this.