News: Klinsmann announces 30 man preliminary WC roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mario Balotelli, May 12, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The guy playing SS/CAM in a modern 4-2-3-1 tends to score from inside the box, not outside. An example is Naismith playing as SS/CAM to Lukaku in Everton this season. I don't think he's scored once from outside the box. A typical goal of his is like this:

The SS/CAM comes forward with the attack, and is there for the main striker to play off him, or to get the rebounds/secondary headers in the area. Donovan can do that fine.

2. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know who else has never scored a World Cup goal from outside the 18? Cristiano Ronaldo. By your logic we don't have to worry about his outside shooting, which is obviously absurd. What it really shows is that trying to draw any conclusions from one type of goal over a handful of games is meaningless.

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know why your argument is full of shit? Because last year you used the same argument for why you thought Dempsey shouldn't play support striker.

Someone pointed out that Dempsey only scored 7 of his 82 EPL goals from outside the box. Someone else rightfully asked why that matters. Then you chimed in saying:

"Because where Dempsey is playing, that's why. If Dempsey was the FS then it would be the norm but by playing the SS or ACM position it means that he has to move up a lot closer to the goal to score, thus, leaving a gap between the forward line and the midfielders, compound that with the fact that he is not fast or a good defender and at best a mediocre distributor...If Dempsey doesn't score, he becomes a liability."

So. You're on record as saying that both Dempsey and Donovan - the two highest scoring players in USMNT history, both of whom have scored some great goals from distance - can't shoot well enough from distance to play the SS position.

This is, simply put, bullshit.

It's bullshit because they can shoot from distance.
    It's bullshit because other options that you would rather play in the position don't have a proven record of shooting from distance any better, certainly not on the national team level.
    It's bullshit because the vast majority of goals are scored from inside the box, so even if they couldn't shoot from distance well it wouldn't be all that important.

Your understanding of the support striker position, and seemingly soccer in general, is fundamentally flawed. Players don't stay in static positions. They make runs off the ball into the box. Support strikers don't just shoot from 25 yards.

But no matter how many times people point out to you that your position is utterly inane, you ignore the evidence or change your criteria.

Dirt McGirt, vponce75, Mr Martin and 6 others repped this.
  4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see where jurgen ever mentioned fitness. He did mention that Portugal Germany and Ghana have players playing in CL finals competing in squads that won their leagues in Europe etc...

Nothing about fitness

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  5. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from the article: "According to Klinsmann, the overall fitness level of his 30-man squad is good but still needs to improve over the next two-and-a-half weeks." While this is not a direct quote from JK, it purports to accurately reflect what he said. So, who knows.

Anyway you slice, it's pretty bewildering stuff.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am now mentally preparing myself for dead legs. I'm also now worried for our older players.

Dammit JK, is this really necessary?

An injury now feels like it's going to happen this camp. Which victim will it take?

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the first day. We have two weeks. We have a group of players some coming from an early MLS season, some returning fron injury and some coming off their European season. Of course they arent on the same page. Klinsmann is setting the bar. We have a team thats historically fit. I wouldnt worry

OGx3, vponce75 and StrikerX4 repped this.
  8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again don't see where he says our fitness has to catch up...I see where overall the fitness is good and needs to improve...nothing about the foundation quote which refers to something more than fitness

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's saying we need to focus on fitness at this stage of the process. I think that's either nuts or Klinsman hocus pocus BS.

10. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Dr Phil, you make sense.

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Did MLS start their seasons at the same time in those years as now? Seems like they start earlier now, but I could just be imagining that.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    #962 cleansheetbsc, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Not so, it's JK's use of the term 'foundation' that is wrong.

Players training and playing for 2 months have the same 'foundation' as players who play 10 months and Champions League.

Foundation is a base. Training camp, and month or two of games and training gives you a foundation. All active players will have it.

Are they at peak fitness? No. Neither are most of the other players. Tournament play (short turnarounds), especially like the conditions to be seen in Brazil (or South Africa at elevation) require additional base building.

Also likely, the Euro players with 10 months in their legs are in need of some (active) recovery or shutting down for a week or so in order to get in peak shape for June games.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS started about 2 or 3 weeks later in the past.

mckersive repped this.
  14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys scrutinize every word out of this guys mouth.

Namdynamo, vponce75, ckl26 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    As do I, but to JK's credit, he managed that foolishness much better last June with all the qualifying games that month. The team looked better, so hopefully he learned.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its pretty evident he means the quality of some of the Portugal, German and Ghana players are higher than the quality of some of our players. We have to work harder than them and be sharp in order to compete.

We have been saying this for months. He says we have an opportunity to build a foundation as a team here in stanford. We are already behind because of the qualities some of these other teams possess and part of that is the physical shape they are in preparing for cup finals and champions league matches but with hard work the US team has an opportunity to compete and catch up with these other teams for the world cup.

Its not hard to figure out unless you want to be obtuse about it and just claim Jurgen wants to run them into the group like last summer....

Namdynamo, vponce75 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also 11 months didnt seem to kill off Spain over these last 3 tournaments. Winning the euro twice and the World Cup. European competition doesnt seem to kill off Italy in 2006 or Brazil in 2002 or France in 1998...

These teams are able to go deep into the competition.

I am sure we will be fine.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I heard this recording. But this is not all that JK said to reporters and what is reported in print is pretty clear that he thinks MLS players are not as fit, probably because MLS is only two months into its season. This makes no sense to me, but it's just my opinion and shouldn't create such a reaction unless the other person has some kind of pathological reaction to any words that don't bow down and worship JK like a god.

Berks, StillKickin and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  19. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are probably not as fit as players playing in a Champions league final no.

And I have seen USMNT get tired out in a world cup game. This whole they are the fittest team is a bit of a myth at this point.

Other top level teams have extremely fit teams who can go at a high pace for the entire tournament and at a high level. Its not just the US. And many of those teams have players who play 11 month seasons and keep it rolling in the summer.

20. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looking at RSL (only one I could find readily), their preseason started in 2/3/2010 with rookie camp ("optional" for veterans) with first exhibition game on 2/20/2010. For contrast, their 2014 season started on 1/24/2014 with the first exhibition game on 2/8/2014. Using first exhibition match as a guide, your 2 weeks is spot on.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Two summers ago.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If each of those teams could loan us a few players, I would agree with you.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This bit is true

24. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever works.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then you agree with Jurgen. We have to catch up. Have to work harder to buildthat foundation and to win. GET HUNGRY! USA! USA!