KK181: Because the Cheno Avatar Demands It

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by Pass-n-Go, Jul 11, 2011.

1. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Cheno has a boo boo on her noggin.

2. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Love the new addition to your family - congrats!

Since the WPS went away (the "official" news came as absolutely no surprise to me...or anyone else here, I'm sure) and I'm more tired than usual of the uswnt, I haven't been watching much soccer since last fall. I try to catch international matches when they are available, but that's always been difficult. I'm gearing up for the Olympics now and am glad all of it will be online so I can watch other teams. Hope everyone is able to keep cool this summer!

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I heard. :( She's apparently at home now, resting. She hasn't Tweeted anything at all since the accident, which means it was probably a little more serious than just a bump. She Tweets all the damn time.

Hope she gets better quickly. I'm excited she's in another TV show so soon after GCB was canceled.

4. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Olympic fever anyone????? :p

5. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Nope. Have flights booked, match tickets sorted, apartment reserved, groceries due for delivery... Most importantly, I know which bars and restaurants to go to to avoid the hordes of "USA! USA!" fans :p . Feeling pretty laidback so far, in other words. (That could be because I won't have to sit through any Sweden games in person.)

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Not me. I'll be glad when they're over.

Not only did Norway not qualify, but one of the horses I was looking forward to seeing is also out. (Dressage-- Totilas is out b/c his rider was ill.)

7. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    sorry about that, Bon. I'm just happy to focus my attention in something else that is not film/tv related. For all the flashiness that people think Hollywood is, you end up sick on just talking about the same thing with different people all the time.

I was telling a friend that I was going to a party and when I told her it wasn't entertainment related, she DEMANDED to go, cause she wanted to meet some "normal people" :)

8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I can understand. Whenever we have a work night out, we all just end up bitching about work and people we deal with at work. I mean, I don't think it's quite the scope of being in entertainment in L.A., but I can imagine it's pretty horrible.

Plus, I have to build some templates for our sports boys who are graphically challenged. It's the only thing I didn't do before my week off, so I have that to look forward to before the OLYs kick off. :D :eek:

9. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Team USA wins their first match after being down 2-0 in the first 15 minutes of the game.
    Oh the wonders of emotional rollercoasting!

10. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    oh man, I can totally relate. I work in a lab and even though I swear I'll stop hanging out with these people socially because we end up talking only about (boring) work, I still go back for more. It's masochistic. And whenever anyone outside of my field asks me what I do and I tell them, I get a blank look, so I'm usually as vague as possible. I never thought my social circle would become so narrow...and none of them even really watch soccer!

11. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah, so I missed the first 30 min. I suppose I can watch the replay on nbc online - does anyone know if you need to sign up first? I haven't looked into it yet.

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just have to have a cable subscription that includes MSNBC and CNBC.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NBC missed an opportunity to do a pay subscription for online viewing. The whole "must buy cable first" thing is crap. They wouldn't have had to charge *that* much and still been able to make a bit of scratch. CBS charged like $5-10 bucks for full online access to all NCAA men's tourny games (they streamed like one game a session for free).

StarCityFan repped this.
  14. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I feel the same way about other providers like TNT, HBO, Showtime, etc. I should be able to pay you x-amount a month to view what you have. Or at least just your original series.

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yep. I rarely go out with coworkers anymore, unless it's the older crowd. The older (30+) crowd shows up at 6:30 p.m., like to eat while drinking, we talk, we have fun, we all show up within 30 minutes of each other. By 9 p.m. (when the place starts getting annoyingly loud) we're heading out.

The younger set likes to plan to show up at 8 p.m., but they don't come strolling in until 9:30 p.m., they don't bother to eat anything, insist on talking even though the band is so loud you can't hear them, and they close the place down. Not so bad if you can call a taxi to go home, but it's dull and annoying when you can't get shit faced because you live in BFE. Besides, unless it's a special occasion, I don't drink anymore AND I'd rather bet at home with Netflix and takeout.

I mean, seriously. It's cute when you're 22. It's just too much effort when you're (almost) 34.

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and have told them as much. I'd gladly have paid them tens of dollars for full access. But I'm not going to re-up for a $70/month cable subscription (which is what it would take with Comcast because the cheap subscriptions don't include MSNBC or CNBC) just to watch a handful of Olympics events over the next two weeks.

17. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    It's such bull. I had thought that having Verizon internet service was enough but I guess not. I'm with you - I'd definitely pay a one-time fee for full coverage, but I refuse to pay for cable. I don't even have a tv. It's difficult these days to even get internet alone without having it bundled with cable/phone/other crap I don't want or need. I hope the government realizes what a problem it will be for the economy when the majority of the population can't afford a basic internet connection. I could go on...

So I suppose I will rely on illegal streams as usual, which is just silly because I am willing and able to pay for content if they were more flexible/reasonable about it.

18. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Didn't NBC try that in one of the previous Olympic games and it was a huge financial flop? Nothing wrong with the idea, but just as with women's soccer, whether something gets commercially offered depends on there being not just some people (even if a large number) choosing the option, but it being a big enough hit for the company to do it again next time. I'm with you, I'd like your better this time, but I also know I'm not watching Firefly while eating an Arch Deluxe tonight. ;)

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was PPV TV as I recall. I would think charging for webcasting would basically be free money considering that you're webcasting already. The only cost would be setting up the billing and validation.

20. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    The cable companies won't like it, because you're eating away at their profit. That's why there are fights between the cable companies and networks about how they are going to split the revenue stream. I imagine that for better or worse when NBC struck their last deal with the cable companies they had to concede how they let people watch the Olympics over the internet.

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. Extremely annoying, but it makes sense.

22. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Absolutely. The cable companies are are aware of their decreasing relevancy. They will go down kicking and screaming (and will take our money with them).

Right now I'm having trouble finding suitable viewing options online. At least I was able to watch the opening ceremonies on a friend's enormous tv. Anyone else see it? I'm sure Romney loved the homage to the national health service...:D

23. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I turned it on, saw the dancing doctors, decided that I had already seen Mary Poppins and didn't watch the rest. Telemundo has the Olympics on too.

24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm enjoying the Olympics. With the exception of Spain dropping the ball today, granted they are the younger less experienced fellas. I hate that wrestling will occur so late. I have a feeling the Chinese will end up with more gold than us. While I am late to the party I now know that South Koreans are pretty skilled with a bow.

*I knew the Queen didn't jump out that plane.