Kk 177: I *heart* california!

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by cloudedmind, Apr 3, 2009.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can do it right now.

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's why I'm too afraid to post in the rivalry forums, might come back with something you can't get rid of. :(

3. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't from the rivalry forums. I posted something in the Mexican forums about someone from the US forums saying some racist stuff. They thought I was trolling and carded me for it.

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well that sucks. Don't they remove it after awhile or something?

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Deep Though: A good friend of mine and their significant other just split up. This is the first time that I'm actually sad that someone broke up. Is that normal? Their relationship made me believe that love was real and semi tangible. Mookie is saddened.

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yes. Especially if it was legit and you liked both people. Most of the time when a couple I know breaks up, I either feel neutral (because I could see it coming) or I feel great about it :D :eek: because usually there's one of them I didn't like.

7. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    oh totally normal, unless one of them is a prat... then parties are called for:D

totally unrelated: Doritos make coffee taste BLLLERRRGHHHHH:eek:

8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Whew! I thought I was getting soft. I feel better today, but Mookie's not going to be spreading any lovin anytime soon. Hahaha I've had a few Patti and Selma countdowns running for a few "No way in hell" couples. :D

9. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I'd say that in the Women's Rivalry there is less risk of that than in many non-rivalry forums. :p

10. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *streaks around the KK* We did it! We did it! For two and a half years I've had to hide this......I am and have been a Spain fan. I cried when they lost that fluke match again the US at the Confederations Cup. *cues music "I'm coming out"*

11. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plastic

12. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I swear to you not. I started following them in 2008 leading up to the Euro tournament. What really hipped me to them was Sergio Ramos. I love the defensive style that he plays. He's so versitile. I never said anything about Spain on here because I knew the rabbid US fans would chew my head off. This country usually hates any Spanish speaking team. :cool:

13. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you of Spanish decent?

14. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No but I really love the culture. I can speak a bit of the language though I am a bit rusty because the last spanish I took was Spanish III in my junior year of high school. I'm of African decent. I was introduced to the game by a cheerful Brit. The first people who I could really talk to about the game with, who loved it as much as I (in the area I grow up in) were Spanish speaking.

15. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What country in Africa are you from?

16. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm American........African-American.

17. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm trying really hard to watch Kate Plus Eight, but the girls are so whiney.

18. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you support Spain, especially against your own country, then that is the very definition of plastic.

19. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know. I just thought I could support the team that I liked most regardless of where I was from, but to each their own. :)

20. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're an American but you can't support the US? I like to see teams like Spain play because of their style. But if they EVER play the US then I support the US.

21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't wish them harm. If it's a neutral match I might pull for them. When it comes to the men's side my favorite team is Spain. When it comes to the women's side it's the US all the way.

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I support Norway when they play against the U.S. And I'm pretty damn American.

Of course, to be fair, they were big rivals back in the day and the U.S. DID have Julie Foudy and Mia, so rooting for the U.S. was not an option. Does that give me a pass? :D

(OK, so I just wrote an essay. :eek: It's not directed at you at all, Yank. But you did touch a nerve that's been raw for about 10 years.)

I dunno. I've always viewed national teams as just teams. It's no worse to support a different county in international soccer than it is to support an NFL/MLB team on the other side of the U.S.

The problem for me is when U.S. men's fans attack me when I tell them I don't support the U.S. women, knowing damn good and well they've never even seen the women play. Never mind the poor bastards that support a foreign men's team ... the U.S. fans act as if they'd been harboring Osama bin Laden in their basement. It's not like they're going to change someone's mind by laying on some sort of self-righteous guilt trip about U.S. soccer. It comes across as them feeling inferior, slighted by an American who loves soccer, just not their soccer.

At one point I used to attend USWNT matches and rooted for them, even sitting with Sam's Army. But then time and time again I'd get the same bullshit about supporting Norway.

So, one day something clicked in my head and I decided there was no way in hell I was ever supporting the U.S. women again after getting into screaming fits with the men's fans. And what's worse is that I was actually pretty keen on the U.S. men for a while, but that too began to waiver when I kept seeing how other people got treated for not rooting for them.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there's this massive inferiority complex across the board in U.S. soccer. The USMNT, USWNT, MLS, WPS ... You name it, if you don't support it, you're a bad American. And that's bullshit. I'm not running around the MLS forums preaching some sort of feminist propaganda, calling the fans sexist or misogynistic because they don't root for their local WPS team.

If the U.S. fans were smart, they'd stop foaming at the mouth and growling at these people and instead offer to take them to a men's match and get them to help support the U.S. teams. But no, it almost always end up as a pissing contest with neither side winning.

23. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, your plastic. Unless you have a connection to Norway like your family is from there or you lived there then I'd understand. I just don't like people who jump on bandwagons, especially when it's against their own country.You support your country first. Style second. At least in my opinion. I go by the old English saying about football: "When you're born, you are given your family name and your football club." That also goes for the national team.

That's where we differ. To me, the national team is not just another team. It's your country and your country's pride yada yada yada. Nothing comes close then watching the USMNT or the USWNT. I can't understand how people could support a team they have absolutely no connection to, especially if it's against a team they have a connection to.

That's why I loved football(soccer) more than any other sport that we got here in the states. In soccer their's a lot more tribalism and less elitism. At least there used to be before the game became awash with money and globalism turned already big clubs into super brand-name clubs.

24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Tom Brady was born and grew up in California and he has a supermodel wife, so when he hugs and jokes with Kobe Bryant on the Celtics home court right after the Celtics lose the game in the NBA finals, he gets a free pass. Can you imagine the outrage among Patriot fans if Doug Flutie was their starting QB and he did the same thing?

Like Yank said, there is a tribalism in sports. A national team, a college football team, those aren't like pro teams. The U.S. team isn't going to leave in the middle of the night like the Colts and move to Canada. The ties to those types of teams run so deep. For many fans, not supporting the home team is one of the most ultimate betrayals, the team is like their family and their religion.

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I guess it's one of those agree to disagree things.