Kit and Logo thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by canuck51, Mar 11, 2010.

1. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The home shirt is white. Those pics show it in an 'off-white' but that's the lighting from the photos shoot. They looked white from the video.

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    alright. up close the away jersey with the embossed argyle is better than i thought at first. i still think that when worn the home jersey having those horizontal stripes narrow at the bottom looks pretty weird on the body. like the underbelly of a lizard man or turtle.

and i am not a fan of monochrome kits. dark blue shorts with the home, black shorts with the away. how hard would that be?

but overall Home 6 Away 7.5

better to be underdone than overdone with a kit i guess. avoid a hideous disaster and err on the side of "a bit plain".

4. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL...lizard man or turtle. That's a good observation! I sure with those stripes just went right around the whole shirt. I really like the blue one and will definitely be buying one.

.............ok maybe it isn't the lighting. Maybe it is off-white. Well the England cricket kit used to be in the traditional off-white until they changed to white a couple years ago. I kind of now prefer the tradition of off-white.

6. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think over the years the jerseys will look better. These are just for the 2011-2012 seasons.

7. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

8. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To me at least, these blow away TFC's kits.

9. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, FWIW, I like them. I guess if you don't like minimalism, nothing your team has done so far graphically will be pleasing, but I really like the way things are looking.

10. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^I agree.

[​IMG]

Ok, that settles it, they are white.
    [​IMG]

11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

well it is no "Electricity" that's for sure :D

would it have killed them to put the semi-argyle pattern in a pale/sky blue instead of embossing it? i can tell you on a person at distance they just look very plain dark blue. still, it could be worse. better too little than too much. at least they avoided the MLS seams everywhere and shoulder pads and arm bands of various colours.

i still think the way those blue stripes on the home kit narrow at the bottom will end up looking very weird when worn. on the model during the unveiling it created a very unflattering "reptilian underbelly flap" effect. had they gone across the whole front like with the old USMNT kit above it would have been much better imho.

12. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ok. now i get it. that flappy, reptilian underbelly effect from the stripes narrowing at the bottom doesn't happen when the jersey is tucked in. it looks good like that. unfortunately untucked it looks weird as hell.

and in the direct light you can see the argyle emboss on the away kit. makes a big difference, adds some spice.

still like mine better tho :D

13. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Definitely yours should be the 3rd kit. Or...I'd like a sky blue shirt.

The way the stripes go down and get larger could become a bit unappealing to those with....umm....girth issues around the belly region.

Maybe because I was so gutted with the crest launch I'm finding these shirts completely ok with me. I just keep picturing Adidas shoulder stripe-pad-armour-deflector-dagger type designs and how we escaped that.:D

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i will say this. the sponsor logo looks good on the kit and fits very nicely with the style of the Whitecaps new logo and minimalist kit/style.

on an entirely tangential fashion note. holly crap that is a lot of sparkles and sequins on the Black Eyed Peas at the WC Concert.

15. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have liked to have seen the light blue color used more, but besides that minor gripe they look good to me.

17. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

it is on ESPN 2. the Black Eyed Peas are all Mad Max meets Liberace up in that joint. basically covered head to toe in post apocalyptic shoulder pads and sequins ...

18. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    haha....I saw who's performing at the concert and I'd rather listen to my cat sing.

Read some more on the shirts. The back of the collar will say, 'Since 1974'.

19. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

that is cool. does the team have a latin or other motto? i've always liked teams having a motto.

i also read that

:D

that should be a frustrating wait.

20. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad, not bad. I think less is more in many cases. I didn't blow me out of the water, but not many kits do.

21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am undecided on the home shirt, but the away shirt is a thing of beauty imho.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea why they don't show this in the photos, but "Since 1974" is on the back collar. I like that.... jersey.. Eh. The away kit is growing on me, but the home is just blah.

23. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    it looks worse with the shirt untucked. looks like some cheesy armor plating from a cheap Egyptian film.

the away kit tho, i like they agyle and the dark colour. pretty nice.

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're really nice. Both kits are something different and neither of them "tried to hard" ...

25. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Will I be able to buy a jersey without advertising for Bell?