Kirovski to leave Birmingham?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scottinkc, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Seymour

Seymour New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Got some clarification on everything and must backtrack somewhat on my earlier post. Right now I would characterize things as speculative at best. As the original poster noted, Jovan has expressed an interest MLS opportunities and may initiate discussions the league. If he were to come to MLS, the preference would be for LA.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The backpeddle.

Still, see no reason for Jovan to come home and collect a much smaller paycheck. Until, he gives in an interview saying otherwise, look for Jovan in the reserves of whatever team he is on at the moment.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

fair enough... but i think those who equate MLS with midtable D1 are bring slightly naive - besides JK was pretty influential under bruce at CP and, as pointed out, was only ignored once trevor 'the unemployed' francis came in - in any event, i still say kirovski is among the top 6-10 scorers if he plays a full MLS season - give him 10-12 goals with as many assists

4. Seymour

Seymour New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    I think it is still more likely to happen than not. As to the rationale, there are a whole host of personal reasons why the guy might want to come back. He has basically been living abroad for the past ten years and I am sure that gets old at some point. Also, I don't know that the financial considerations are that clear cut. Certainly he would be taking a significant haircut in the short term. However, I assume he would be on the high end of the MLS salary structure and might also have other money making opportunies. Also, he needs to start setting himself for life after soccer, which is probably pretty difficult from where he is now. He probably has at least a goot 6 to 7 years of soccer left in him, during which time he can establish a bigger name for himself here, get involved in other ventures, etc.

From a soccer standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. Get some first team action, hopefully play well and have a shot at making the 2006 team.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

"haircut"

Seymour heading to the barbers?

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

perhaps seymour thinks JK is a hippie and that was a freudian slip

7. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Entering the realm of wild speculation, I wonder what he would think about playing closer to home in SD. If nothing else, it would be good for the team to have a local boy as one of their star players, regardless of his ethnicity. Plus, the 78 is a mess; he really doesn't want to make that commute every day...

8. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Isn't his wife European?

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oy vay.

10. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, mrs. kirovski is portuguese.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummm in that case we're gonna need a photo :D

12. dbiesecker

dbiesecker Member

Jul 1, 2002
    CO
    At least then I could keep on rooting for Bobbito no matter what. That one sentence is the only word I've heard on Kirovski wanting to leave Brum. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, as he's only going to get in if there's a rash of injuries.

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, good to hear his time in Portugal wasn't wasted.

14. Seymour

Seymour New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Apologies to sophisticates the world over for my previous comment re living abroad.

Without completely discouting the possibility of parallel families, I believe that Jovan's wife is also from San Diego.

I agree that it would make a lot more sense for him to go the San Diego team (assuming there is one). The hometown-boy angle would presumably generate a lot of local media coverage similar to what Shannon Mac did with the Spirit.

15. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    He's not Mexican. He wont play for that Chivas thing...

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    If Chivas San Diego is still on tap for '04 play, I'd envision Kirovski as an anchor player. Get one of the Rapids' extra keepers traded down there, get one of Columbus' extra attackers down there, pull in some DC younguns who can't get any playing time through some trades, bring up a few Mexicans who want to play in San Diego as your SIs, and you're on your way to having a team that can threaten for a playoff spot in year one.

Oh, and so people don't accuse me of trying to weaken every team other than the Metros to help Chivas, we'll contribute Kenny Arena as a starting center back.

17. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit off topic, but Joe Cannon was MVP for the San Diego Flash in 1998 before coming to San Jose. May be willing to move back if it means playing time. The Quakes will gladly contribute Manny Lagos to the Chivas San Diego cause.

And with the number of teams making the post-season in MLS, every team should be a contender for the playoffs next year.