Kirovski to leave Birmingham?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scottinkc, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I understand the work permit is an immigration document from the British Home Office. I just mistakenly thought (I believe I read it somewhere on BigSoccer - I guess I should know better) that ANOTHER team was not forbidden from writing a new application for a work permit for Bobby Convey. I thought that the one year time limit applied only to the company lodging the application (in this case Tottenham Hotspur), not the individual whom they were seeking to employ.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose could use Kirovski. We hardly have enough healthy players to fill a roster. We need him NOW since it's pretty obvious Faria will never come back to the States again.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see him come back to MLS because he has been in the national team pool for years now and I have never seen why. I'd like to see him actually play, and play well.

Colorado can use him as a replacement for the ageing Henderson.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirovski has never felt North American splinters. They hurt just as bad as European ones.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I never thought Kiro deserved as many games for the national side as he got, but the slower pace of MLS would probably suit him quite well. His lack of speed wouldn't be exposed and he'd have more time on the ball. MLS would very likely play to his strengths.

Probably just an unfounded rumor and al, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the states.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just haven't seen any indication that Kirovski has those kind of abilities. It seems to me that Kirovski is the kind of guy who has some size, is athletic and has a narrow soccer skill set of being good with the soccer ball at his feet. My guess is that coaches see Kirovski's ball control and jump to the conclusion that he has skills and can help them win soccer games. The problem is that he really doesn't do a whole lot to actually win you games. From what I've seen (and it's been a bunch) his touch is lousy, he can't cross at all, he rarely makes good or creative passes, he's an absolute wreck in front of goal, and he doesn't track back and defend. Other than ball control and the occassional well taken set piece, he doesn't appear to bring a whole lot to the table other than an impressive looking resume.

It happens in all sports. You have the player who you think should be good and so he gets lots and lots and lots of chances and for whatever reason he just isn't any good. I think it's possible you could see marked improvement from Kirovski with additional playing time, but I've seen nothing to indicate that he'd _currently_ be anything more to an average to slightly above average MLS player.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas would be a good place for him. He's earned the right to be placed among Chad Deering and Jason Kreis.

8. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Voros. You sound like some kind of scout trying to project a guy based on his tools. What makes you think Kirovski is athletic? He has a large frame and he is tolerable at holding the ball, but he is not athletic. He doesn't have anything other than a step or two of sneaky speed and he is not strong enough to play target forward (where he has been miscast for USMNT most of the time). Have you checked out Kirovski's numbers from competition?

How have you been able to see Kirovski a bunch? Do you get Birmingham City matches beamed to your house? Did you see him at Crystal Palace or has the majority of your exposure to Kirovski been through the USMNT? What would a person in England have to say about Taylor Twellman if his observations had been limited to seeing TT with the national team? You simply cannot define some players based on their failure at the International level. Eric Cantona was lousy at the International level. Paul Scholes looks miserable when he plays for England now. I apologize if you have seen Kirovski frequently run out for his club - but I don't find that likely.

Do you know that his current manager (Steve Bruce) has been familiar with Jovan since he was a teenager (he was a first team player for Manchester United when Jovan went over there) and has now signed him on two separate occasions and coached him in three seperate occasions? Unless there is some kind of strange personal relationship, I don't think that such an astute judge of talent as Bruce (considered to be one of the best young managers in England) could be completely out to sea on multiple occasions.

What are you basing these observations on? Kirovski scored two goals in five starts last season (he also had a bunch of garbage minutes as a sub - a total of 523 minutes on the season or less than 6 full games). A return of two goals in the equivalent of six full games is not too bad. For what it is worth, Stern John scored 5 in 1785 (the equivalent of about 20 full games).

Kirovski scored a goal in the Champions League semi-finals for Borussia Dortmund (3 total goals in 21 first team appearances). While he was not able to break into the first team on a regular basis, he played a vital role at Fortuna Koln, when on loan.

Jovan was an automatic first choice for Steve Bruce at Crystal Palace. If Eddie Lewis can be one of our best National Players while playing at a fairly high level for Preston North End, then the least we can say about Jovan is he would be a decent MLS player based on his production at Crystal Palace, right?

If you check out the information that I provided you - his stats from Crystal Palace (just look them up on Champ Man or something), you will see that in about 16 starts - he had 5 goals and 5 assists (or some such numbers). That was for a (then) table-topping team in the First Division. After that, Trevor Francis jerked him around in and out of the lineup for Ade Akinbiyi - who is now headlining for Stoke or Hull or some lower division team. Francis is mercifully not managing anywhere.

While some of these goalscoring numbers seem modest, recall that Jovan has normally been cast as an attacking midfielder (since he left Germany). There are only a handful of midfielders in the EPL who score more than 5 goals in a season.

In his final year with the reserve team for Manchester United, Jovan averaged a goal per game over 21 games. Granted it was reserves, but that is the kind of production that suggests he has a little more than a tad of skill with the ball at his feet. There are plenty of regulars in the EPL who couldn't do that kind of damage - let alone at the age of 20 or 21.

The problem with Jovan is not his modest but demonstrable offensive skills - it is his inability to play solid defense that makes him unsuited for the EPL. You have to have better all-around skills and at least be willing and able to track back if you want to make a living as an attacking midfielder or withdrawn forward in the EPL. Period.

Whether it is unfortunate or not, MLS does not necessarily make these demands of its flair players.

Look, I understand your complete dissatisfaction with the player based on his performance for the Nats. But it is simply not the best arena (no pun intended) for some players to show their skills. Many gifted club players are miserable at the international level.

I am not suggesting that Kirovski should come to MLS and possess the profile of Brian McBride or Landon Donovan. But I would bet you money he Jovan would be more effective than Ernie Stewart (revitalized or not) or Joe-Max Moore or a couple of other recent repatriated europlayers.

9. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    Good assessment. But I still think he can be a good MLS player. One team he could start for today would the top team in the league: San Jose. With Ching hurt and DeRosario recovering he could start immediately.

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think every team in the league would start Jovan in a majority of matches. The guy has some versatility, in addition to other traits. Assuming full health, I think an argument could be made that he might not start in New England (Twellman, Moore, Cancela), or Columbus (McBride, Buddle, Martino). But I think every other team finds a slot for him.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    The only reason he would not start for those teams would be woefully inept management.

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who of McBride, Buddle or Martino would you start Kirovski over? Or would you move him over to the right wing and send Brian West to the bench (I might do that).

13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    On question number (leaving out the option you put forth on question number 2), I'd start him over Martino in a heartbeat (and I absolutely love Martino).

Yes, this is exactly what I'd do. Although wouldn't have Martino play that wide.

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I was thinking of putting Kirovski wide. In a 4-4-2 he may be most useful on a wing.

And no way in hell I'd play him over Martino, at least not until he showed me he warranted it.

15. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you die in a fire...

16. Seymour

Seymour New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Not yet a done deal, but the current plan is that he would be coming to the Galaxy.

17. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think those of you who assume that Kirovski can come to MLS and rip it up are quite naive. MLS is tougher than most people think, perhaps mid-level Division 1 in England, which is where Kirovski got the most playing time with Crystal Palace, and although he did well, he certainly didn't rip it up.

People had those expectations of Earnie Stewart as well this year, since he had consistently scored from 8-12 goals a year in the Eredivisie...he's got a single goal this season for DC United.

I like the idea of him coming back to the States to play, but it won't be no picnic for him.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and where does this come from?

Would be yet another reason to hate the Galaxy.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but I can't agree with you. Look at John Spencer - Div 1 player, came over when he was over 30 and has been the top scorer for the Rapids.

Now Earnie Stewart is what 33 - 34? Plus he's dropped back to midfield where he wouldn't score as much anyway.

Kirovski is at most 28, he's heading into his prime. He'll do quite well against the MLS defenders, score 10 plus goals a season and we'll be talking about him heading back to Europe to ride some huge clubs pine again.

20. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say he'd be invisible! Claims were though that he'd "rip it up", which to me, translates into a 20+ goal season. I don't think he'd do poorly as I could see him easily with 6-10 goals in his first year, but that's certainly not "ripping it up."

21. Seymour

Seymour New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Reported by a friend of the family. I have requested additional detail and will post if more info becomes available.

22. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Spencer is a very good striker but he is a midget so he was in the wrong league before he joins MLS. Not all good players can do very well in every league.

Kirovski IMO is not as good as Spencer. He won't score as many goals as spencer in MLS.

23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I sure didn't

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a good point, but this still doesn't lessen my view that Kirovski would score 10 goals+ in MLS.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Seymour. Keep the nuggets coming.