Kirovski - almost news

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dbiesecker, Oct 10, 2003.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think the "save Kirovski" movement would have more juice if JK were either kicking arse for his club, say ala Twellman, or even Razov, but just not yet able to put it together for the Nats, or if he were a guy who couldn't settle at a club level - Heydude, or Lewis of the previous 2 years - who nonetheless execute their role well fo rthe Nats and play a role where they have little competition.

But the reality is JK has not settled at a single club in the past 5 years, after a promising start at Dortmund. He has not been able to settle at mutliple clubs with a single coach (Palace and BC with Bruce), a single club with multiple coaches (Palace with Bruce and Trev - tho to Jovan's credit Palace was the place he came closest to finding a home. He didn't figure in Portugal before that, and he has not found a way to contribute enough for the Nats. It is not an issue of personality or skill or anything. The guys just doesn't produce well enough. This is not my analysis, it is not Tommy Smythe's or Pope John's. It is the analysis of at least 5 coaches of 5 or six (if you count two coaches for the USMNT.)

I mean, let's be rathional. JK didn't make '98, didn't make '02, didn't play much for Dortmund, less for Lisbon, finally got some time in the Nationwide, then was hurt by a coaching change, went to a new club with the one coach that felt he could be a key contributor and did not show enough. It's not like this is some "sure Reyna starts for Rangers, but he sux fo the USMNT" or "Just 'cause Dolo is in the top of the Kicker rating for defenders doesn't mean he's good enough for the Nats" ebate.

At some point it become incumbent on the fan/supporter/excuser to show why and how a good (and unanimous) number of highly paid professional coach/managers (whose jocks most of us could not hold - despite our own meglomania (and who'd want to hold any of these guy's skanky slingshots anyways?)) don't feel that Kirov quite has what it takes. There is pretty much a unanimous professional jury out there saying "thanks for coming, next", what makes anyone so sure they're wrong?

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah we'll find a spot for him on an MLS squad.

[​IMG]

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want every Yank Abroad to succeed, and to succeed wildly. But the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and over again, and expecting a different result.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Re: Re: Kirovski - almost news

These have been the thoughts swimming through my head as I read through this thread. But I couldn't have said it better myself. Spot on, my friend.

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Very solid post.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
  7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I think we should all quit our paying jobs to devote ourselves full time to supporting our national team. Otherwise, I don't think we would be realizing our potential to be true supporters of our beloved national team. After all, supporting our national team is the most important thing in the world.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Kirovski sees some action

Only if he does that in four out of every five games in the reserves...

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Re: Re: Kirovski sees some action

I think this is an interesting comparison. I think at the moment both Eddie and and Kirov are solid Nationwide level players. But Eddie is more use to the Nats simply because he is a roleplayer that the Nats needs - and out and out touchline LW with decent to great (depending on the day) crossing skills. When we play with McBride, or even Mathis up front (or Twellman if he can stay healthy) we need a good crossing game. There is no way one would say that Eddie has better skills than, say, O'Brien, or even Bease, but for the role he plays, he's the best option. This is just not true for Kirov. The various spots he has played for club and country simply have better alternatives. That happens sometimes. This year two starting EPL goalkeepers will have to sit for any given game. It does not mean they suck, it just means there's not a spot for them at the moment.

10. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Kirovski sees some action

Good point! A lot better than "Kiroski sucks" or "quit EPL and come play in MLS". This is much better than when I can write, but my post is more succinct. :)

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

Doesn't playing for the reserve of a better team (BC vs Fulham) count for something??

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would if he played as well as Lewis does for the Nats.

Since he doesn't...

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

This is exactly right. Eddie Lewis is really our only true crosser of the ball.

14. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    That's what I've been saying as we've seen BA play Kiro at forward for the last two years.

Anyway, everyone who wants Kiro gone has this illusion that the US is better than they are. That we have this 10 person depth at every position. We don't even have 4 solid defenders, let alone 10 solid midfielders. Bruce knows this and this is why he keeps calling in people like JK and GV. In our midfield, we have:

JOB - perpetually injured, no one knows if he'll be back, ever.

CR - also oft-injured as well as getting up there.

KyMar - strenght of a sickly mole, experience of an iraquian hooker.

LD - sure, could do the midfield, probably better than Kiro, but would probably do better as a withdrawn forward who doesn't set people up but rather plays wherever and does whatever whnenever.

I know everyone loves to think that we made the 1/4s, have a thriving league that all of the sudden has world class middies in every city and people with true ball skills are easily replaced. The reality is that we still need solid soccer players like JK if nothing else but for depth. Depth means our top 50 and JK falls easily within that group.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by flanoverseas
    That's what I've been saying as we've seen BA play Kiro at forward for the last two years.

Yup, me too. The experiment is over.

Anyway, everyone who wants Kiro gone has this illusion that the US is better than they are. That we have this 10 person depth at every position. We don't even have 4 solid defenders, let alone 10 solid midfielders. Bruce knows this and this is why he keeps calling in people like JK and GV.

I know we are thin in some areas. I have no problem keeping JV on the periphery of the pool. It's the constant callups that perplex me.

In our midfield, we have:

JOB - perpetually injured, no one knows if he'll be back, ever.

CR - also oft-injured as well as getting up there.

KyMar - strenght of a sickly mole, experience of an iraquian hooker.

LD - sure, could do the midfield, probably better than Kiro, but would probably do better as a withdrawn forward who doesn't set people up but rather plays wherever and does whatever whnenever.

But we also have Beasley, Wolff (usually a winger), Heydude, Klein, Ralston, Mulrooney, Mathis, Olsen, Mullan, Corrales, Armas, Mapp, Marsch, Stewart, Mais, West, Paule, Borchers, Memo, Victorine, Gavin, Lisi, Brad Davis, Kamler to name a few. I agree with your premise that we are definitely lacking in QUALITY choices in midfield. But we are not lacking in depth (given a mediocre standard), and we have a lot of players to develop over the next several years.

I know everyone loves to think that we made the 1/4s, have a thriving league that all of the sudden has world class middies in every city and people with true ball skills are easily replaced. The reality is that we still need solid soccer players like JK if nothing else but for depth. Depth means our top 50 and JK falls easily within that group.

No disagreement. Top 50 is about right. The point is....not top 25...which means only called up if truly needed.

16. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Now it's West Brom:
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/031022/21/ebt7t.html

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I have to admit I don't get the Iroquoian hooker reference. I'm not sure I get if it's Iraqi either.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Aquarian? It is the dawning.