Kirk at RB?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Husker, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Husker

Husker New Member

Mar 14, 1999
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering if the Galaxy plan to use him at RB like the under 20's did? I thought he looked dangerous there at times. Just wondering what the Galaxy fans were thinking about this.

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same question after watching the U20 games.

On the one hand, Kirk was developing nicely as Cobi Jones' understudy at right mid-field. I think that was the plan. Of course, that was pre-Beckham. While Frank Yallop plans to use Beckham at center mid, it remains to be seen how that works out, and if Beckham is more effective at right mid, Kirk is the odd man out.

And, LAG could use cover at right back because Albright is in the mix for the Nats and figures to be gone for a good part of the season. Absent an acquisition of an additional player, LAG is very thin on the back line.

My bet: nothing is planned firm at this point, and a player as young as Kirk becomes even more valuable if he is able to be slotted into different positions providing the coach with some flexibility.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting? No.

However, with he and Albright probably both missing time this summer with the various Cup competitions, I think he might see some time there. My guess is that Albright and Quaranta (barring further signings) will be our starting Right D and Mid respectively, but that Q will be the first guy off the bench for either of them.

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Kirk at right back makes me nervous. At this stage of his career he is still a little error-prone. I'd rather use another defender as a backup to Albright this year (not that we have a lot of defenders to spare). Hopefully the u-20 experience will help with his development.

I think the ideal position for Kirk would be as a wingback in a 3-5-2, but I doubt we'll every play that.

5. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Let's not forget that right back was not Chris Albright's first position...I'm not saying that Kirk can develop into the next Albright, but guys can change positions with enough practice.

6. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Anyone think he could develop into a center mid?
    I'd like to see him there or a d-mid. Sounds crazy I guess....