Kinnear joins Galaxy as assistant coach

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by asdf2, Aug 29, 2017.

1. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Per Jeff Carlisle @JeffreyCarlisle:

"Can confirm that former #Quakes74 mgr Dom Kinnear has joined #lagalaxy as assistant. The teams' long history of cross pollination continues."

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

#Domball

Beerking repped this.
  4. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why start a new thread?

Earthshaker repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Beerking repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Are you switching teams? Some Donovan fans became Galaxy fans when he went down south.

JazzyJ repped this.
  7. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Ha! LMFAO.

No to answer your question. Fan and STH off and on for 22 seasons.

8. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    To be clear STH off and on. Hardcore fan since the Clash started.

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The job Dom really should have in MLS. He can't cut it as a head coach in today's game. Focus on defense, it's what he's good at.

My money was on him taking a job as a head coach with one of the many USL teams starting up next year. That resume can land you a job for years in the lower division if some team is foolish enough to hire you! (see Frank Yallop)

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old school Quakes fan here since 1974.

Beerking, falvo and don gagliardi repped this.
  11. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Wow, guess we can dust off "Earthquake reject" next year

athletics68, Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the Big Lebowski quote in my signature I'm obligated to respond to this...
    "The Dude, or Duder, or LongTimeQuakesFan'74 if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Beerking and Earthshaker repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand Dom taking a job with the Dark Side. I mean, there are only so many jobs in MLS or even USL or NASL for that matter. It's a tough market. He's got bills to pay. So, sometimes you have to work for satan. That's just the way it is.

F#$% el-lay!!

- Mark

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Are the Quakes paying the remainder of his contract this season? So he's double dipping?

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the terms of his contract. Chances are, if he takes another job, they don't have to pay him. OR, it could be that they had to buy out the remainder of his contract when they sacked him, so he is - in effect - double dipping. Except that he would have gotten the remainder of his Quakes money as a lump sum pay out.

Either way, I don't give a squat. Coaching is like playing Russian Roulette. It's inherently unstable. The moment a coach is hired, he (or she) is on the coaching death watch clock. Almost every coach gets fired eventually.

I'd love to have that sort of job protection, but I don't. Best I've even gotten was three months pay when I got laid-off.

Good luck to Dom, er, no f#$% it. I hope the evil, stinking, cheating, minions of the dark side lose every game the rest of this season, and all of next season, and well into the future, until the team disbands. And same curse for LaF#ck!

Go Quakes!!
    F#$% el-lay!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his alimony ends once he remarries.

18. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good riddance and it's great that he went to our main rival so he can ruin them like he ruined our past three seasons. Now I hope they sign Dawkins, too so Galaxy's suicide is complete.

DotMPP, Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard an interesting tidbit on ExtraTime Radio. Wiebe interviewed Taylor Twellman. He said that it is not common knowledge that Bruce Arena had spent all of the Galaxy's allocation money - TAM, GAM, what have you. So the Gals had no money to buy anyone good but their DPs. They had spent all their allocation money trying to win the Cup last year by getting Mike Magee, GIovanni, and a few others whose names I forget. So if Bruce had stayed around, he was facing a rebuilding period starting from scratch.

Kind of explains why Curt Onalfo had his hands tied and needed to pull up players from LAG 2.
    I can't remember what Twellman had to say about the Kinnear hiring... guess he didn't say anything elucidating...

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #20 JazzyJ, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    They have a bottomless pit of money, right, to try to counter their incompetence? Why couldn't they waive some guys and then get replacements? I don't think it's a valid excuse. Most teams more or less max out on the cap and TAM / GAM every year.

Then I mean, wah!, all we could do was sign Alassandrini and Jon Dos Santos and French defender Ciani, who has played in France’s Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A. They made higher profile mid-season signings than the Quakes did with their vaunted "wait until the summer" strategy.

If they have any excuse it's that they were hit pretty hard with injuries, but every team has to deal with that to some degree.

bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -Not ", what have you", there is only TAM and GAM.

-GDS would not require any TAM or GAM, he is a DP. He's making ($4.25 million in guaranteed compensation) way too much to be bought down below DP status, too. He could make a billion dollars and it would count the same against the cap. So there is no connection whatsoever between GDS and any form of allocation money.

-Mike Magee did nothing in Chicago in 2015 (360 minutes, 0 goals), when LA brought him back in 2016, they paid him $250,000. We know this because the MLS players union releases salary information. That's not even enough for his salary to be bought down with TAM, there would be no need for it. And Magee is off the books entirely for 2017, having retired, so that would only free up cap space for the 2017 Galaxy and Onalfo (along with $456k from Donovan, $170 from Gordon, $195k from Kennedy, $175k from Larentowicz, etc.).

Also not only did they get AJDLG and his $227k salary off the books, but they "received $125,000 in General Allocation Money and $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money" for him (we know this as it was the first big trade in MLS history after they decided to release the specific figures involved), so they had at least SOME allocation money to spend.

I don't know enough to say whether the whole story is nonsense or not (but I'm inclined to believe it is... and in any case Twellman is not exactly the smartest dude and likely knows less about MLS rules than many serious fans), but the Magee / GDS part is certainly nonsense, easily disprovable nonsense at that.

bsman, mjlee22 and JazzyJ repped this.
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how TAM and GAM work, In addition to Twellman's comment, I have only heard on various podcasts that ATL is a genius at it, Minnesota is awful at it, and ORL was crazy to use so much of it for Dom Dwyer. And that what it does is enable you to bring in better mid-tier (not sure that is the right word) players. Guys who are not DP level but who are so much better than average that they really improve the quality of your team. I assume because you bring in several of these quality players versus 1 bet-your-job-on-him DP.

So in the context of what little I know about allocation funds, Twellman's view seemed to make sense. Anyhow, Andrew Wiebe didn't argue with any of it, and Wiebe is a smart guy. BUt I think he also often says he doesn't understand TAM and GAM either.

But I'm not trying to argue with you. What you say makes sense too.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a guy who works for the league yet admits he doesn't understand TAM and GAM is nonetheless "a smart guy" because... ?

If only there was some way to find out? Nah, I guess it's just one of those things we'll never know. Whatever you do, definitely DO NOT Google those terms...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/glossary/general-allocation-money

https://www.mlssoccer.com/glossary/targeted-allocation-money

Hey the league site also conveniently has a list of TAM players for 2017:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-resources/2017-targeted-allocation-money-players

Zardes, Gyasi LA Galaxy Re-signed Player
    Pedro, Joao LA Galaxy New Player
    Jones, Jermaine LA Galaxy Re-signed Player

Would you look at that, 2 of the 3 TAM players on the Galaxy were acquired in 2017... how is that possible when Arena used up all their allocation money??

bsman and mjlee22 repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 xbhaskarx, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Jermaine Jones only played 725 minutes for Colorado in 2016, and yet this year the Galaxy decided to sign him as a TAM player for a whopping $722,500.20 ... that's a lot of money for a 35 year old who is always injured. Bruce area accepted the USMNT job on November 22 2016, the LA Galaxy signed Jermaine Jones on January 18 2017.
    Jones has played around 1,000 minutes this season, appearing in only 14 games... brilliant signing by the Galaxy brain trust!

$722k for Jermaine Jones.

Wondo makes $800k.

TFC brought in Victor Vazquez as a TAM player for $700k and he's leading the league in assists.

If signing Mike Magee for $250k in 2016 somehow crippled the Galaxy financially, what about signing Jermaine Jones for $722k in 2017?

25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a lot of good points.

I can only absorb the gist of what podcasters say about TAM & GAM. The ETR team seems to marvel at its intricacies, in which some clubs are figuring out how to win.

Apparently it really is rocket science.

As far as how the Gals paid for Jermaine, didn't they unload a few guys like AJ & Laurentowicz for TAM?