News: Kings of the Cup™ US (N)open cup 2024-This time sans MLS

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Dec 16, 2023.

?

So what YOU think about the move by MLS to pull MLS teams out of the US Open Cup?

1. Smart move, Garber and Board of Directors, for thinking of your Apple overlords!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Smart move, Leagues Cup is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better! It's such an organic Competition!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Smart move, at least the Fire avoid embarrassment of losing to: Omaha, St. Louis (USL)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Smart move, at least the Fire avoid losing to: FC Cincinnati (USL), Ft. Lauderdale,

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Smart move, at least the Fire avoiding losing to: Michigan Bucks (in a shed), Charleston Battery

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Smart move, at least the Fire avoiding losing to: Wilmington Hammerheads, Carolina Railhawks

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. So, they are following the EPL (which sucks), as EPL teams pulled out FA Cup. What? They haven't?

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. What the actual F*ck, MLS?!?!?!

21 vote(s)
    84.0%
  9. Well, something stupid DID happen! Congrats, everybody!

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  10. Malört

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  11. Rubber Dick!

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  12. Well, it doesn't matter, the Fire have not been Kings of the Cup since 2006 :(

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  13. Goddamn it! This was THE year for the Fire to win it again (for the first time since 2006)!

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  14. On the bright side, players have been requesting fewer games, so something had to give.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  15. USSF should sue

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  16. It does allow the Fire players more time to prepare to lose in MLS, so there is that!

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  17. This ruins Christmas!

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  18. Oh, who am I kidding, Christmas is already ruined due to the WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  19. I guess I will have a few extra Wednesdays this Summer

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  20. Rubber Dick, again! (times 1,000)

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Kinda 'gressive...is there a bunch of history or an axe to grind here or?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Accusing someone of being a neonazi sympathizer (among other things) puts that person at risk. There is very serious violence across those communities that should not be treated lightly and should not be thrown around publicly unless you can show your homework and build a serious case. To treat that lightly puts someone else’s health at risk. It’s childish and stupid.

Axe to grind? No. I’ve known jiggly since before he was born. What he’s done though, is dangerous in many ways. He has direct access to speak with the person he’s accusing but childishly wanted internet fame over actual results or progress. I firmly believe that both of those motives deserve ridicule and should be rooted out of the Fire community. We’ve struggled enough with infighting and backstabbing since the Hauptman years began. To perpetuate this type of communication is to continue to damage this community even further.

Lastly, bringing up the Fire for Food and somehow tying in charity work someone has done with the alleged game day act shows how completely misguided jiggly is. If he put in one tenth the work that some have put into Fire for Food into fighting the issues he claims he cares about then the needle might actually have moved on a solution to those problems he casually claims to be concerned about.

But no, a tweet is much easier. Complaining instead of engaging is much easier. Pointing fingers at people instead of solutions is easier. These are acts people do because they do not have the capacity or concern to actually put in the labor to work on actual solutions. Instead, he chose to exploit a situation. Unfortunately these types of exploitive acts typically undo the work others have actually put into the community to help.

Axe to grind? Jiggly stopped by my pre-game tailgate and had a beer. He’s welcome to again. But I believe his actions deserved ridicule and I’ve passed along my criticism. Time to move on. Unless someone else doesn’t want to.

milicz and willydonc repped this.
  3. Back to the cup, Fire II are through to the 3rd round past a depleted and toothless Forward Madison side. Draw is in a half hour and either Detroit City, or Indy XI will be the opponent.

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  4. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Wait, so either way we play against one of our own just loaned (Bezzera -Detroit, Wootton - Indy). Weird

willydonc repped this.
  5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Chicago to host Indy 11.

goldclover and schroncar repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Fire?
    Have the Fire been relegated already and can enter the US Open Cup?

schroncar and harrylee773 repped this.
  7. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is that the Elliot Collier playing for the Indy 11?

Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Yuuuuuuup!

goldclover repped this.
  9. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Indy11’s midfield has played better than FIRE2’s, and frustrated them. Casas in particular is struggling.

Glasgow at RB looks ready to battle Dean and Souquet for minutes in the first team.

Don’t recall seeing Tchetchao before…like the energy and movement

We can’t see to connect with Shokalook (11 touches)

Hope to see OregelJr and some adjustments in the second half.

goldclover repped this.
  10. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1)Glasgow has played RM and RW more often than RB. We could also use help at those positions. Where would you put him?
    1) The thought has crossed my mind that Poreba, Osorio and Glasgow might contribute more for Fire I than Oregel, Casas and MIA Bezerra. Or do they need max minutes on the field with Fire II to further development? What do you think?
    ( disregard contract, MLS rules for answer).

goldclover repped this.
  11. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think there is no one on Fire 2 that beats out anyone on Fire 1 at present. The younger guys might in time though. But...for your question #2 I think the trio you suggested could be better choice for Fire 1. Solely as depth we will not likely (and should not without Fire actually playing in US OPen Cup grr) use.

12. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Screaming at Elliot Collier was so fun.
    My poor boy with every disease.

goldclover repped this.
  13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    That game was much closer than I expected and a lot of fun.

goldclover repped this.
  14. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    I don't see him beating out MHS or Fabi for playing time...but he might have a shot at beating Dean & Souquet for minutes at RB.

I think the club has it basically correct....the runners need the playing time to hone their instincts (and won't get it with the first team) and the CMs benefit from the higher quality reps in tight spaces training without the high game impact of mistakes.

Bezerra is the one that I'm curious about. How much of his path is just bad luck with injuries or club fumble. To me he looked like a player that should have Barlow's spot and would bring more ability to score....kid has a clear 'nose for goal'.

Oregel is so young, he's on the fast track and hopefully can keep improving at that rate.
    Osorio is an interesting prospect...and because of physical maturity is arguably 'more ready' than Sergio for first team minutes. At this point he'd be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart, so best for him is practice with first team, play with second team.
    Casas is confusing to me...feels stuck and not able to make the next step...and last night had a not great night.

schroncar repped this.
  15. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #166 schroncar, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Agree that young players need time on the field. Fire doing that with some young players but not all of them.
    Heard on a recent podcast that best practice for their development would be to play one young player (and only one at a time) with first team at least one or two matches. Sounds reasonable to me. Not seeing so much of this.
    Slonina, Duran, Gutierrez, Teran and Brady are only young players who grew into Fire I starters in recent years- correct?
    Sure would be nice to develop more new starters who improve play or generate GAM via resale.

bunge repped this.
  16. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think international roster spots are hurting guys like Glasgow who could potentially be with the first team on occasion.

17. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect to you but there is always a “reason”. Good organizations solve problems and plan ahead.

willydonc and goldclover repped this.
  18. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    The ones you didn't list that I believe have had first team minutes in 2023: Casas, M.Rodriguez and Alex Monis.

19. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not excusing the FO on this since they created this mess. The inability to move certain players is part of the problem with the FO. Even having a sister club could not help them.

schroncar repped this.
  20. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 “likely” candidates ( Casas, M Rodriquez, Monis and Bezerra) totaled 3 starts in MLS and Open Cup play during 2022 and 2023. Total minutes played were 221 in 2023 and 328 in 2022. Typically play time was 15 minutes during mop-up.
    Does not meet my definition.

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Wound? Here is nice dose of salt poured right into it!"

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...u-s-open-cup-decision-it-did-not-drive-value/

A few choice bits:

"I believe we need to get to the point where we do but I also don't think we should be playing in tournaments that are not driving value for our players, for our teams, and for our fans. It was part of the very controversial decision that we made about limiting our participation in the U.S. Open Cup," Garber said.
    -Doesn't "drive value" for the fans? So, how does NOT have teams play (and, potentially, win) actually drive value, Don?

"The end game of the Concacaf Champions Cup spot and a spot in the Club World Cup..."
    -So, one time might (and almost certainly will not) receive that "Club World Cup" slot, so all of teams in MLS are f*cked over by the decision?

"So we need to prioritize the league schedule, prioritize the Champions Cup, prioritize the Leagues Cup and where we can, we will support the U.S. Open Cup and we are believers in it. Our founder's name is on it, we'll continue to participate, we just have to be thoughtful about how we do that."
    -The "50 games" in a season is for 1 or 2 teams at most, NOT for the entire league.
    Teams will play a minimum of 37 games (34 MLS and 3 Leagues Cup).
    About half will play about 40 (with going out in the first or second round of the playoffs).
    A few will play 40-42 (advancing to Leagues Cup, MLS Playoffs, US Open).
    A couple will play about 45 (with CONCACAF nonsense).

Fuegofan, schroncar, harrylee773 and 4 others repped this.
  22. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with all of this Xtom. Also, having history behind the US Open Cup, these limiters on who can still be in it gives unfair advantage to those in it...The Fire cannot, for instance, add another Open Cup this season no matter what but other teams can. Makes no sense. At the least...let each individual club decide if they want to be in US Open or not.

schroncar, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  23. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's some Orwellian rhetoric there Mr. Garber. The thing is, Orwell's exercise of the language was to show what dirtbags those in positions of power and influence, who utilize such language, are.

loonixxx, xtomx, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how that interview comes out right after a wonderful cupset in Houston last night. Gotta distract from the reality of the tournament being objectively awesome to push the narrative. It sucks that we can’t have a little bit of joy unless MLS is able to make the absolute most money possible - it’s like we can’t have any fun unless there’s profit involved, and that sucks hard.

loonixxx, xtomx, Mac97 and 2 others repped this.