King James Vs. 'Melo

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by bourque312, Nov 26, 2003.

1. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    You probably bought into all the Lebron James hype too, didnt you??

2. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    First off, to above post... Lebron ain't doing bad at all for a Rookie year. His stats are mesureable with other top player rookie stats. He's very similar to Kobe Bryant in his outside shot (needs to work on it a lot), but he beats out Kobe in most other areas for his Freshman year. The Lebron hype was warranted and is being proven.

Now...

Cristiano Ronaldo. Kids 18 and plays prettier than Anna Kournikova on a rainy day. Now, that is assuming price isn't a factor (ie. If I'm Manchester United.) However, if it is (let's say I'm Newcastle United - wealthy enough to buy, but every dollar counts) I'd take Landon. The play per dollar goes better for Landon at a $6 million dollar deal, give or take a million.

3. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Actually, the Cavs are 4-10 and are just as PATHETIC as the Miami heat (a team SO BAD that Pat Riley QUIT 2 weeks b4 the season started) Not to mention, Carmelo Anthony gets about 1/10th of the hype lebron gets, & he lead the NUGGETS to an 8-6 record so far (BTW, the Cavs & Nuggets had the EXACT SAME 17-65 record) Plus, Carmelo has had a higher points per game than Lebron for most of the season. Translation= LEBRON is 99% HYPE.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    He wasn't talking about the teams you idiot, he was talking about how LeBron is doing.

5. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Youre the idiot. Did you even read my post?? Carmelo Anthony has more wins, has lead his team above .500, & has AS MANY points per game as Lebron. Yet he gets NO HYPE while Lebron continues to get OVER HYPED. The nuggets & cavs finished with the SAME 17-65 record last season. Now the Cavs are 4-10 while the Nuggets are 8-6. Now tell me which player is having the bigger impact on his team? Carmelo Anthony= NBA rookie of the year.

6. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Yeah, hes so good that the cavs are gonna miss the playoffs AGAIN this year, & probably finish with the SAME 17-65 record they had LAST YEAR. Do you know ANYTHING about sports, or do you just type whatever comes to mind???

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it to PM or the Other Sports Forum.

This is the "L-Don and C-Ron" thread.

Thank you.

8. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    No problem. I only mentioned Lebron in passing. I dont know why people are getting so bent out of shape over him.

9. Bizzo

Bizzo New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    toronto
    This is my first time posting on bigbasketball.com so my analysis might not be up to your high standards.
    Lebron & coach Silas are the only new (major)additions to a terrible Cavs team. The Nuggets not only added Carmelo, but also 2 excellent point guards (Andre Miler & Earl Boykins) & a very experienced & proven Jon Barry. Plus Marcus Camby is healthy this year & Nene is finding his form.
    If you are going to award the Rookie of the Year to the player with the most wins you should engraving Luke Walton's name into the trophy.

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    So we agree that Carmelo Anthony, and not Lebron James, should have been the pick up for Man U in the off-season?

Motter should just lock this thread out of sheer stupidity, or at least rename it "Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony?". Just to warn members of what they can expect in this thread.

11. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    Yeah, but then look at the fact that Lebron James has played a grand total of 14 games on this level. Melo took college first and has had a transition (though I will say, Melo is extremely UNDER rated... I see the media hype or a rivalary between him and James being warranted and being very close...). But if you put Melo on the Cavs, I doubt they'd have any better of a record. Hell, I bet if you put T-Mac on the Cavs, they wouldn't have but a 7-7 record. Nevertheless, the Cavs suckiness is only going to make Lebron a better player. I didn't believe the hype that James would be Jordan his first year... I believed the hype that James would be the best player in basketball at his prime.

Anyways... back to your regularly scheduled soccer posting.

12. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Check your PM's. I replied to you there

13. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, & Ilguaskas are ALL just as talented as the Nuggets starters, but the team is STILL flat with or without Lebron. With all the hype Lebron is getting, he should be getting 50 pts a night & be UNDEFEATED with the cavs. Lebron got the same amount of hype b4 he even stepped on the court as Jordan did at the PEAK of his career!! Of COURSE Lebron wouldnt live up to the hype. Thats not his fault though. Its the media's fault as well as Nike's for overhyping him.

14. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    This quote pretty much says it all:
    http://www.nba.com/games/20031114/ORLDEN/recap.html

"I think whenever you are an up-and-coming team and you have a game on national television, it is good to win," Boykins said. "If you make it to the playoffs, you will be on national television. Last year we won only 17 games. We have already won five, and I thank Carmelo Anthony for those games."

BTW, Carmelo led the nuggets in scoring w/ 17 pts in a 30 point ROUT of the Suns. These are the Same Suns that beat the Cavs 95-86. Carmelo just a more complete player than lebron. Winning the NCAA championship has turned Carmelo into a WINNER on all levels. Too bad lebron doesnt have that kind of experience. Carmelo will be rookie of the year HANDS DOWN.

15. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    and LMFAO@ Luke Walton. I'm sure the 2.5 points per game he adds to the Lakers are TRULY the key to their winning. There is a reason that the top teams get the worst draft picks.

16. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
  17. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey, how about a little love for Darko Milicic on this thread? The kid is averaging 0.0 points per game, 0.4 rebounds, 0.0 assists, and 0.3 blocked shots. Not bad for a #2 pick. Lebron and Carmelo are both overhyped, Darko is the real deal.

18. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
  19. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
  20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Darko is a stiff, I'm prepared to say it. Joe Dumars blew this call. This kid will never be as good as Carmelo Anthony is right now.

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Patience, my dear.

Remember that teenagers not named Lebron generally take 3 seasons to become productive, and that's without the additional adjustment of coming to a new country.

He may eventually become a star, maybe not. But 2 months into the season is way too early to play chicken little.

22. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    This kid will be good. Will he be as good as "Vlade Dade..........he likes to paty." I don't know, but give him time.

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, that was his point, genius. Carmelo Anthony didn't win any games, the Denver Nuggets did.

Talk about buying the hype! Your evaluation of Davis and Miles must be based on the commercials they appear in. It doesn't matter how nifty a highlight you can make on on your best day when your off days outnumber your best days 3-1 (and you're not a complete player even on your best day). Davis and Miles, unless they do soe serious growing up, will probably never be as good as Earl Boykins, and he's not even the Nuggets starter at PG, Andre Miller is. And Barry can shoot the ball, which is more than either Davis or Miles can say.

Speaking of which, Lebron takes more shots, further from the basket than Melo (partially due to his playing a lot at PG, partially due to not having teammates who can shoot) and yet still has a higher shooting percentage than Melo does.

(Ilgauskas would be a rough equivalent of Camby when both are healthy, except on defense, where Camby is clearly better. But yeah, if you look at a stat rundown, which is probably what you did, they might appear similar.)

So far I would give a slight nod to Anthony over Lebron for RotY, but Anthony seems much closer to 'his level' than Lebron does. I can't see Melo ever scoring 30ppg in this game, but I can see Lebron doing it.

24. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    "
    "Brown explains Darko's minutes"

Larry Brown:
    http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pcorn8_20040108.htm