King Carles Gil

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MM66, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I feel like Gil deserves his own thread. It's early in his Revs tenure, but his skill set is so outrageous it's got to be asked, is he the most talented Revs player ever? Time and accomplishment are needed before anyone can call him the franchise's best player, but his first touch ought to make soccer purists weep. I'd love it if he became a template for kid soccer players in New England. Children, play exactly like that man and all will be well.

The best part is his ability to operate in tight spaces and play a short passing game will stand out even more as they put more talent around him.

dncm, RevsLiverpool, Jon Martin and 5 others repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he has not been here long but overall talent wise I'd say he is up there in the top 2 or 3. His ability to cut on a dime has made a few defenders look like their ankles were going to break. he is class on the field for sure

3. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is Carles Gil a bust?

A Casual Fan repped this.
  4. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to his mad skills, I’ve been most impressed with his composure in attacking areas and the way his head is always up looking for the best play. His goal yesterday was a great example of his composure. The ball comes in too far behind Bou for him to make an aggressive play on it. Everyone is flailing until it falls to Gil. Head up. Pause for the defender to fall out of the way. Pop the ball into the net. How many times has that play resulted in a skied ball or bouncing the shot off the defender?

MM66 and Doublecard repped this.
  5. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch out for the he who shall not be named fan club.

I will take that anticipated comparison head on and say I prefer Gil. Gil is a highly skilled player and he also puts in a massive effort defensively. Oh and he seems to want to be here.

As for most talented Rev ever, I need to give some more thought to that one. Despite recent history, there have been some very good players on the Revs over the years. I am a big fan of Shalrie Joseph.

6. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gil is a very Spanish player in terms of his vision, composure and awareness.

7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I was thinking about whether he is the most talented Rev ever myself.

Gotta say he probably is. JJ was already in decline when he got here, and Clint wasnt Clint yet. No one else (TT, Reis, etc..) even comes close

MM66 repped this.
  8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad we have Gil. I just don't like the level of play-acting he has. He can tone it town and still get the call.

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shalrie Joseph in his prime was a force in the midfield. In my opinionn, he was the missing ingredient we needed for WC 2006.... and it's a shame he was tied to Grenada from that early caribbean tournament of his. With Dempsey, Ralston, Twellman etc... that was one talented era for the Revs.
    It is too early to say, with Gil, if he will surpass these...but it's fair to say that so far he is making the argument that he definitely is in league with these. His argument is 1/2 a season long. Let's see what he is telling us after year 2.

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil is the most technically gifted player we've had. Best ever? Let's give him a full season.
    He sees things on the field most American players do not. And he's not an elite player in Spain. I don't know how we can start producing players like him.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me Gil is the best attacking player in revs history, bar none. Others have been good in certain areas; Gil is good in all of them.

I will say, I enjoyed watching Perovic back in the end of Nicol's trnure. Maybe it was because he was surrounded by USL caliber players but he was skillful. The difference is Gil can pick a pass while Perovic tried to fo it all himself. Gil's having an incredible debut season: long may it continue.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats That it he doesnt act compared to a lot of top players around the league.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Totally disagree. I think he's doing exactly what he should be doing - he's as smart about that as he is about the rest of the game.

He is being targeted and he needs to make sure referees are fully aware of it. If they aren't going to protect him properly, then he should remind them by staying down every chance he gets.

RevsLiverpool and teskicks repped this.
  14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Great thread!